What's new
World Wide Stereo

looking for system for under $1000 (1 Viewer)

brett GR

Auditioning
i am looking for opinions on the best surround sound system for a 20x20 family room under $1000. Are the hometheater systems with built in dvd any good? i am presently building the room, so all wire will be in the walls.

any opinions or tips welcome.

thanks,
brett

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
For under $1000...

Yamaha HTIB YHT-B5500
Onkyo HTIB HT-S777C

Both aren't bad with the sub probably being the weakest link in both systems but a decent sub would chew up a good chunck of your budget not leaving you with much.

JB

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Brett,

That's a pretty decent size room, so I am not sure a HTIB solution would be best. The Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K receiver goes for around $450 from some authorized dealers. I have read that this is receiver is comparable to the Pioneer Elites. You can combine it with some speakers in the JBL Northridge E series that should fit your budget.
A set up consisting of the 1014TX and JBL E30 (2), EC35, E10 (2) and EP250 sub would be under $1,100 delivered.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I always think the best thing you can invest in is a good sub. Hsu has the STF-1 or STF-2 subs. http://www.hsuresearch.com/
They also have the ventriloquist speaker set if you want to go with bookshelves.
The other set of speakers are the Fluance SX-HTB set for $260 plus $60 shipping. I have the SX-HTB set the mains have an excellent full sound.
For a Receiver JandR.com has the Onkyo Tx-Sr502S for $278 shipped. It's a good featured receiver with component ins and outs.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would say the system Yung described would be pretty hard to beat. What I might do slightly differently is go E50s instead of E30s for the mains. They're a really great main speaker. If they put the budget up too high then I would hold off on surrounds and buy them in a month or so. They would really make an impactful difference up front i think.

You may also want to consider an STF2 or other sub, they can be a bit more accurate and less boomy. A Dayton 10" would also be a very good ultra budget sub if you wanted to keep the cost down some more.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The more I think about it, the more i take back what i've just said 5 min ago. I would maybe spend a little less on receiver and a little more on the subwoofer. A good subwoofer will make more impact than anything else in a system that already sounds very good, but a weak sub can really make things sound sub-par, especially at loud volumes.

I would go with the following:

Receiver: Panasonic XR25 ($180 online)
Mains: JBL E50 ($250, J&R)
Center: JBL EC25 ($120, J&R)
Surrounds: JBL E10 ($90, J&R)
Subwoofer: SVS PB10 ($400, SVS)

Total: Around $1100 after shipping

J&R has free shipping on all their JBL stuff. SVS is doing a $400 pre-order on their new 10" sub that has an amazing 18hz F3 point. The Panasonic digital amps are supposed to have an amazing sound for their cost, especially w/ digital source material (DVD and CD).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks