What's new

Looking for a cheap DIY speaker kit... (1 Viewer)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Brian, congrats on your first DIY speakers! Post those pics so we can see them. If you think these three and your two surrounds next spring are your final speakers, then.........BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!:D
BTW, here's the jawga kid's URL: Link Removed

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Hank,

You've got me confused, but I'm assuming you were replying to me. I know those aren't Brian's first DIY speakers!

I had already built a Stryke 12.3 PR sub, and now these. I know there will be more coming, but my vow is this:

These are the last speakers I build before I have a *table saw*!! I spent so much time on these projects fixing pieces that weren't the exact length, weren't perfectly square, etc. I was the flush trim king on the cabinets, and then when I go to trim the veneer, I think the sides aren't perfectly square, so sometimes the flush trim bit will burn the sides a bit, or something. I'm really looking for a table saw. I'm thinking either the DeWalt or Bosch portable units that sit on stands and cost around $500 or so. What do you think?

Thanks for the link- I wanted to check out Brian's modified SCH's.

Wes

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Wes-
I absolutly LOVE my Grizzly 1022PRO Table Saw! I got it on sale for $600 total including the shipping and there was no tax!
Here is a link to it!
It is $625 now but still well worth it!!!
I spent a month setting it up. Not because of poor quality on Grizzly's part. I am very obsessive/compulsive/anal (what ever you want to call it) when it comes to tools. I would have spent that long on any saw I bought!
Grizzly's BEST deal is the G1023S cabinet saw. It is $850 shipped. It was a little more than I wanted to spend. I opted for the 1022PRO and a new DeWalt plunge router with $50 in router bits for the same cost as the G1023S.
Ronnie

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Wes, sorry for calling you the Brian. My advice is don't spend $500 on a "portable" saw. Spend a little more and have a quality saw with power and accuracy that will last your lifetime and be an aid in home projects other than speaker-building (use that rationalization with your wife).
I have a Jet with upgraded fence and solid cast iron extension, and I tweaked it to within .002" miter guage slot to blade parallelism. A bit obsessive, maybe. You won't regret getting a full-size table or cabinet saw - Jet, Delta or Grizzly. Ask the family for cash contributions for Christmas. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks