my first DIY speaker. I need help getting started.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Seyfarth, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Paul Seyfarth

Paul Seyfarth Stunt Coordinator

I am looking to put together my first DIY speaker( not a kit ). I am going to start with a cheap bookshelf speaker, with a simple crossover. I am looking to spend under $150 for the pair. After doing that I can do something with a more complex crossover, and better drivers.

Edit: any suggestions on speakers, or how to chose speakers. And where I can get information on building a crossover.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Try Wayne's site. Read through the Speakerbuilding Articles. That should keep you busy for a few days.
    -Robert

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

4. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

I would look at one of adire's free designs. I built the pop speaker and it sounds great. I'm now moving onto the grandpop. I think you should put together a kit before you start designing one.
    http://www.adireaudio.com/free_designs.htm

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I second Jon's advice. You could enjoy building a kit while reading up on design.

6. John E Janowitz

John E Janowitz Second Unit

Hi Paul, You may want to check this out. http://www.stryke.com/S1.html This is a kit designed by Steve Sedmak around our inexpensive drivers, and closeout parts from Madisound. It is a tower speaker, but you can use the same crossover and just change the enclosure to be a bookshelf. Use the same depth and width, but make the enclosure only 18" tall and seal it.
    Driver quality IMO, and in most others as well, is much better than that of the Pop, and the other free designs.
    John