Location of vent on a center channel speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_E_Smith, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

After reading and testing a few loudspeakers that are vented, I was wondering if the vent on a vented center channel speaker should always be facing the front esp if the tunning is above 50 Hz. Otherwise you lose the effects of the port. Am I correct? My center channel has a rear firing port and the 1 m response looks like a near field with no port recorded. The speaker is tuned to 66 Hz but the F3 appears to be about 104 Hz.

2. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

Any comments?

3. Rob Lloyd

Rob Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

Center ports are usually in the front so the speaker can be placed close to a wall or hidden in a cabinet. If the port was in the back it would hinder the breathing of it. A port can be anywhere on the enclosure to work.

4. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

Take a look at the Audax center channel or the Adire LCC. They both have vents in the back. I doubt the guys who designed those would have put them back there if they didn't work.

RG

5. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

Thanks for the posts,
    I may just be over analysing and not using my Clio correctly. It sounds real good, and the male voices sound natural. [​IMG]