1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer/ tower speaker stand

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Timba, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Timba

Timba Auditioning

Soon, I will start building a subwoofer using the 95L Shiva alignment (vented). I would like to know if I can use the subwoofer as a stand for tower speakers, which I have located on each side of a 65” RPTV. I am considering raising the height of the tower speakers to make the tweeters more level with the Center channel speaker. If this is acceptable, I will build a cabinet for each tower speaker but only complete one as a subwoofer.

2. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

stereo subbing man.

I have seen people do this, make a tower of sort, and have the monitors sit on the, although i have only seen front firing sealed ones, i guess its more cause of the coolness [​IMG]

3. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Build two.Twin subs are great! You may want to consider what to put in between the sub enclosure and the other speakers. Something to prevent resonance from affecting the towers. I'm sure someone can recommend the appropriate material. Thick rubber or ???

4. Rob Formica

Rob Formica Stunt Coordinator

I had original considered something similar to this myself, building a pair of subs that could act as speaker stands... but I finally decide to go the standard route due to my concern about room acoustics.

Given how important room effects can be in the subwoofers range, I just wasn't sure that the unflexible placement would have been ideal for my room. Having two subs can be even more complex for placement due to possible cancellations.... so by keeping my subwoofer in a single independent box, I can move it around.

I still think it's an interesting idea, but personally played it safe.

Rob

PS: I think the rubbery material you are thinking of is the "bluetack" (sp?) and I believe it is a 3M product

5. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

True, true. It wasn't that long ago we had a lively discussion on
    this topic.

6. Rob Formica

Rob Formica Stunt Coordinator

I missed the thread, but have already read that white paper... and I feel it's more applicable to "real life" than some of the other posts argue.

It is not uncommon to be two to four people watching a film, and in a small room the room response in the seating positions will vary quite a bit (at least my room measurement are [​IMG] ). I guess the important thing to note here is that the white paper is attempting to achieve the flattest response possible without EQ over a seating area rather than the greatest SPL in a sweet spot.

I'm almost done building a single 6ft3 AV15... and I can't image squeezing two of those in my living room!!

Later...
    Rob