What's new

Subwoofer/ tower speaker stand (1 Viewer)

Timba

Auditioning
Soon, I will start building a subwoofer using the 95L Shiva alignment (vented). I would like to know if I can use the subwoofer as a stand for tower speakers, which I have located on each side of a 65” RPTV. I am considering raising the height of the tower speakers to make the tweeters more level with the Center channel speaker. If this is acceptable, I will build a cabinet for each tower speaker but only complete one as a subwoofer.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
stereo subbing man.

I have seen people do this, make a tower of sort, and have the monitors sit on the, although i have only seen front firing sealed ones, i guess its more cause of the coolness :D

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Build two.Twin subs are great! You may want to consider what to put in between the sub enclosure and the other speakers. Something to prevent resonance from affecting the towers. I'm sure someone can recommend the appropriate material. Thick rubber or ???

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
I had original considered something similar to this myself, building a pair of subs that could act as speaker stands... but I finally decide to go the standard route due to my concern about room acoustics.

Given how important room effects can be in the subwoofers range, I just wasn't sure that the unflexible placement would have been ideal for my room. Having two subs can be even more complex for placement due to possible cancellations.... so by keeping my subwoofer in a single independent box, I can move it around.

I still think it's an interesting idea, but personally played it safe.

Rob

PS: I think the rubbery material you are thinking of is the "bluetack" (sp?) and I believe it is a 3M product

Rob Formica

Stunt Coordinator
I missed the thread, but have already read that white paper... and I feel it's more applicable to "real life" than some of the other posts argue.

It is not uncommon to be two to four people watching a film, and in a small room the room response in the seating positions will vary quite a bit (at least my room measurement are ;) ). I guess the important thing to note here is that the white paper is attempting to achieve the flattest response possible without EQ over a seating area rather than the greatest SPL in a sweet spot.

I'm almost done building a single 6ft3 AV15... and I can't image squeezing two of those in my living room!!

Later...
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks