My New Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Bill-LaD, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Bill-LaD

Bill-LaD Auditioning

First post to this forum.

Just finished building my system: subwoofer, mains, center and surrounds. For some pic's of the finished product check out:

webshots.com/user/ladieu

I designed the subwoofer using Unibox around the Dayton 12" DVC in a vented box. i ended up with a 18" cube tuned to an F3 of about 24 hz. I used double thickness MDF to construct the box with a large horizontal cross brace the stiffen the box up. The sub is powered with Parts Express 250 watt plate amp. I am very pleased with this project, very clean and tight bass.

For the mains, center and surrounds I based my design around the Fostex FE167E full range driver available from Madisound. These are very sweet and efficient drivers. No need for lots of power. The mains are based on Bob Brines's FT1600 design. Check out:

The mains have an F3 of about 40Hz and have a mid range to die for. No crossover to muddy the works up. Only a baffe Step correction to balance out the lower end.

The ceter and surrounds I designed using Martin King's MathCad Work sheets for an MLTL. The design is similiar to Bob's except the pipe has a higher F3 of about 60 Hz. Again a very sweet sounding speaker. All three speakers are constructed from a single sheet of 18 mm baltic birch which provides for a very solid enclosure. The only differnce between the surrounds and center channel is that I located the port on the back rather than the front. I purchased the surround speaker stands from Parts Express which were cheap and a very good value.

I am very please with this system. It sounds great. with nice clean mids, solid lows and sweet highend. If you have never considered the full range driver concept I encourage you give it a look see.

Bill

Just found out that I can't post url's until I posted at least 15 times. If you want more info email me at:

wladieu at comcast dot net

2. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Bill, do you happen to have a link to the Bob Brines's design? It sounds like something I might have to try, especially of how well you seem to like them.

3. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

4. Bill-LaD

Bill-LaD Auditioning

Actually the speakers that I use for the mains are shown at:

webshots.com/user/ladieu They are in the home therater speaker album and are blue. The link that Dean so kindly posted is to the speakers that I use in my upstairs music system as opposed to the downstairs HT system. While good the Foxtex FE167E system is not in the same league as the FX200 which is an outstanding system. If your are interested in MLTL systems check out these two web sites. Add www to link:

quarter-wave.com

and

geocities.com/rbrines1

Bill

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Bill,

Nice work on the speakers and sub. [​IMG]

Here's a link that should take people to your photo album of the speakers: Sub and Speakers

6. bernard&*

bernard&* Stunt Coordinator

Hello Bill-Lad,
    Sooner I'm going to build d'same project of yours, but the surround is not included , I'm just waiting for my stuff to be here (Tempest/plate-amp and Fe167e(x3)).
    My problem is, I dont have any reference or plan design to follow for my future center channel, if you dont mind can you provide me the detailed baffle step of your center channel.
    I'm a 100% newbie in this field, so i really need the reference to guide me to perfection. Btw Mr.Tim Forman (very nice person)is the one to bring the stuffed,here.And Mr.Bob Brines will provide for my "mains" plan design to his
    "FT1600".This two person, I really admired most they are very helfull.
    I know its not that easy to give up what have you've worked so hard, but its much happier in return, if someone admired your work very much.[​IMG]