What's new

living near power-lines or towers....concerns? (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I agree that the housing market is "stupid-crazy". As a matter of fact, I'm completely convinced that there is a "bubble" that's going to collapose soon. I recommend the following course of action:

Sell your house and cash out the equity.
Rent a house or apartment.
When the market crashes, buy.

I don't think you'll have to wait for more than two years at the most. I have been trying to convince my wife that we should do this for months, but I can't get the point across. I'll probably end up with negative equity when the shit hits the fan as a result. :frowning:

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Absolutely. Regardless of what you may feel about it, your future buyer might consider it a factor, which will affect resale. For instance, around here there's a stigma associated with the number "4" (sounds like "death" in Cantonese), so homes with "4"s in them have lower resale value and are harder to sell. Of course, non-Chinese buyers don't much care either way, but even they have to take this into account, because of future resale prospects.

(For the same reason, I was told by a friend in London, they have to keep bathroom sinks with two separate taps for hot and cold water, rather than a single adjustable tap, even if they personally want one. IMHO it's silly to have one tap with freezing water and another with scalding hot, rather than one nice one which mixes it for you, but that's just me...)

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Adding to the wireless devices already mentioned, AM radio listening near power lines is frequently degraded due to a buzzing sound.

Most people couldn’t care less about AM radio but personally I like to listen to the AM talk shows that aren’t on the FM stations.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
well, i went and looked at the home today. a brand new 2400 sq. ft home for about 430k - which isn't bad in this town.

anyway, there wasn't just one...but *two* power-towers (on either side of the house) -- with the power-lines draping directly over the house.

i passed... :)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Ted, As long as you wear pyramids made of aluminum foil on your heads you should be fine. My real recommendation is that if it's a concern with you now, it always will be. Evidence or not, I would not live near or under a major power lines/tower.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
AND you can throw out a line and get free power supply rather easily.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks