What's new

living near power-lines or towers....concerns? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

does anyone have any info about living near power-lines, etc. does anyone here live near one?

or more importantly, if you do -- do your teeth glow at night???

thx!

ted

E

Eric Kahn

No true problem form living under powerlines has ever been proven, but if you walk under high tension lines with a fluorescent tube, it should light up

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
although i was being goofy, i'm gonna have to look into this with a modicum of seriousness.

we're probably gonna move and one of the homes we were looking at was right next to a power-tower-doo-hicky. while i admit that it doesn't bother me too much, i'd hate to think of what may (or may not) be at risk.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Dunno about health risks, but would interference from the lines start causing noise in your interconnects etc? (This is after all a home theatre forum, let's stay focused on the "important" stuff, eh? :D )

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I live across the way from a sub station and notice no ill effects thus far... though my power never goes out.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
The EMF may interfere with some broadcast signals.Unless you have a pace maker it should be o.k. except they are ugly. There was a big deal down here a couple of years ago because they built an elementary school right next to some. I guess it's the same debate as cell phones causing brain tumors.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
they are kind of ugly.
I put up with the train tracks and the power station and ghetto part of town in exchange for a great view of the whole town and the big rock it's named after.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'd only be worried if I had to aprk under some wires.

LOTS of bird poop!

Brent

PhillJones

Second Unit
Similarly to the cell phone debate, there isn't any solid evidence. There's an awful lot of anecdotal (read unreliable) evdience knocking arround but no really good epidemiological studies that show any ill effects.

Having said that, that doesn't proove that there is no danger either. The way I think about it is; will you be worried about the potential risks all the time you live there? If you feel that even a potential risk is a risk and you kids are too important to gamble with, then don't live there, if only for the piece of mind. If, on the other hand, you don't give all this scare tactic non-sence any credence then move in and don't give it another thought.

Ask yourself, would you worry about it?

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
There is a neighborhood near me where the kids hair will stand on end, some of the children are getting shocked, and at night you can see sparks in the air. I would pass on the house.

Scott

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
What PhilJones said. Don't worry about it. You may have a lower probability of blackouts during inclement weather, that would be a good thing.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
My crazy aunt says that living underneath a group of power lines, especially if your home is "surrounded" by four (forming a square fence) or three (forming a triangle fence) will cause a surge in paranormal experiences. But don't say she didn't warn you when the walls start sweating blood and the baby head bounces up the stairs :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm..doesn't seem like there's solid evidence either way. well, my gut tells me it's probably not an issue, but i guess i'll do some further investigation.

tbh, i'd probably be willing to deal with it from an aesthetic pov - i could care less about my view. but if it's fryin' my brain -- well that's a different story. ;)

anyway, thanks for the input. stay tuned!

get it? tuned? power-lines??? :rolleyes

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I dunno, I'm paranoid so I'd avoid it like the plague. As noted above, you really don't know what that magnetic field will do to you in the long run, good, bad or nothing at all. All I remember growing up at a friend's house near power lines is the nasty buzzing that goes on 24/7. Drove me nuts....or was that the magnetic field.....that would explain a few things....;)

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
I would be concerned about the noise. Before you buy make sure you go to the house after a rain or on a high humidity day.

Those powerlines can be fricken noisy

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Leaving aside the debate over the possible health-related side-effects, if you are buying (not renting), it will probably make a significant dent in your resale value to buy a house under a power line. Of course, you can make that up upfront because you are probably paying less for the same reason, but it is still something to consider, especially if you are not going to live there long-term.

We passed on a very nice house for that exact reason.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm...very good point scott. didn't even think about that. thx!

this would be my second home i'm trying to purchase within 18 months. we earned so much equity in our first home (housing market is just stupid-crazy here) we figured we may as well try to move up before it's too late.

not positive we'll be able to afford it yet ... but we're checkin' it out! :D

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Adding to what Scott said, when you did go to sell it, it would typically stay on the market longer than the exact same house w/o powerlines, even with a lower sales price. Some people will just not buy a house that is close to powerlines due to the stigma associated with them.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
My best friend bought a house close to the powerlines and has really regretted it. Not because of health issues, rather he has a hell of a time with anything wireless... remotes, internet, cell phones, ETC.

In addition after trying to sell his home he found out that homes adjacent to powerlines are worth about 30% less than the rest of your neighbors.

Plus there is the possibility that the property will contain easements that can restrict you from putting things like pools, sheds and such.

Walk in with your eyes open.

Just something to consider

Users who are viewing this thread