What's new

LG 2020 CX and GX Series 4K HDR OLED TVs (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The manual for your AVR says to cycle the power on any connected devices if ARC settings are changed. I know the manual says that the AVR will play audio from an eARC compatible TV regardless of the settings in the AVR. Still, it probably wouldn't hurt to turn on HDMI control in the AVR settings menu to see if that helps. I'm assuming the 8K HDMI cable you are using is HDMI + ethernet.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It turned out it was user error. All fixed.

Oops. Just saw this after my post. What did you have to do to get it working? In my case, the eARC found my Yamaha AVR pretty quickly. It was much smoother and easier to get working than on my B7.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Very nice sale starts today for LG's 55", 65" & 77" CX and GX series OLED TVs.

Gotta make room for the C1s. =)

If you don't need the brightness bump of the C1 I'd definitely consider a closeout CX. The CX was the best hardware I have bought in 2020 and it is absolutely gobsmacking for Xbox and Playstation gaming. Oh yeah you can watch movies on it too.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I jumped up from a c8 to CX, the 2 advantages of the upgrade were: better apps, ARC issues 100% fixed. I was quite happy.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn

If you don't need the brightness bump of the C1 I'd definitely consider a closeout CX. The CX was the best hardware I have bought in 2020 and it is absolutely gobsmacking for Xbox and Playstation gaming. Oh yeah you can watch movies on it too.
So we know there will be a brightness bump for the C1 too?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn

Sorry to say the only 2021 LG OLED TV to get the 20% brightness bump is the G1 Gallery Series.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
@Sam Posten - from this press release, seems we'll get a 42" option next year. Could be even better for the PC gaming crowd. Sam, you might finally be able to use an OLED on your desk!
The question is whether the maker will design the 42" to be a TV like the 48" or a real gaming monitor (to compete with the ASUS XG43UQ HDR1000 expected to be $1300)? Since LG Electronics also sells Freesync Premium Pro LCD gaming monitors, I'm hoping that it's the latter.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The question is whether the maker will design the 42" to be a TV like the 48" or a real gaming monitor (to compete with the ASUS XG43UQ HDR1000 expected to be $1300)? Since LG Electronics also sells Freesync Premium Pro LCD gaming monitors, I'm hoping that it's the latter.
I am as well - at least a display port input would be a welcome addition.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
I am as well - at least a display port input would be a welcome addition.
ABSOLUTELY, and most importantly since we're talking about high bandwidth, it would totally justify the premium if they can market this gaming OLED as "the first Displayport 2.0 capable" monitor so 4K120Hz HDR 12-bit color without compression. It's expected that the first DP 2.0 products will begin launching by the end of 2021. Sadly, the reality is that monitors follow GPUs and until Nvidia/AMD release DP 2.0 cards (maybe 2022, maybe) monitors won't include it. At least I won't have to upgrade my spanking new GPUs for a few years!

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
ABSOLUTELY, and most importantly since we're talking about high bandwidth, it would totally justify the premium if they can market this gaming OLED as "the first Displayport 2.0 capable" monitor so 4K120Hz HDR 12-bit color without compression. It's expected that the first DP 2.0 products will begin launching by the end of 2021. Sadly, the reality is that monitors follow GPUs and until Nvidia/AMD release DP 2.0 cards (maybe 2022, maybe) monitors won't include it. At least I won't have to upgrade my spanking new GPUs for a few years!
Agreed, I enjoy my 3090, but it is frustrating to know that true 12-bit isn't possible at 4K120. I've also experienced a fair bit of frustration with ABL on my 48CX - and i've pondered turning it off in the service menu, but am concerned I might damage the display by doing so.

Last edited:

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Congratulations to all of LG's exceptional product development, engineers, marketing, sales and operations team who make LG the World Class company that earned this so very well deserved award.
LG_Emmy_Award.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks