Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
AMD’s website lists all LG TVs as FreeSync Premium and the 77GX is the only TV listed as FreeSync Premium Pro, https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-tvs .

The other thing to note is that Gsync has a lot of meaning for PC gamers. NVIDIA’s market share in PC gaming GPU is around 90%; so Gsync is essential to most serious PC gamers.

Consoles, e.g. Xbox support both FreeSync and the open standard HDMI VRR. LG VRR capable TVs have supported HDMI VRR since launch, so have always been compatible with consoles. Adding FreeSync therefore is only really relevant to the < 10% of PC gamers with AMD GPUs, which is why we see most of LG gaming promotion on NVIDIA and Gsync.

TheFOMO

Agent
Real Name
QT Fomo
AMD’s website lists all LG TVs as FreeSync Premium and the 77GX is the only TV listed as FreeSync Premium Pro, https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-tvs .

The other thing to note is that Gsync has a lot of meaning for PC gamers. NVIDIA’s market share in PC gaming GPU is around 90%; so Gsync is essential to most serious PC gamers.

Consoles, e.g. Xbox support both FreeSync and the open standard HDMI VRR. LG VRR capable TVs have supported HDMI VRR since launch, so have always been compatible with consoles. Adding FreeSync therefore is only really relevant to the < 10% of PC gamers with AMD GPUs, which is why we see most of LG gaming promotion on NVIDIA and Gsync.
77GX and 86NANO91 (strange choice)!
Any information you can get from LG about what makes these 2 TVs "Pro" is much appreciated, thanks Robert!

Reactions: Robert_Zohn

Sam Posten

Real Name
Sam Posten
What are your thoughts on selling the 2080Ti (for almost cost) to buy the coming 3080Ti?
I know I know, stop the FOMO!
We will see. It would have to have a greater than 50% improvement in RTX for me to consider it. This was the most expensive computer component I have ever made. I hoped to get 3-4 years out of it. I bought it at launch so I've gotten as much value out of it as anyone.

Sam Posten

Real Name
Sam Posten
After using the 48" CX I've made the decision to not use it as a computer monitor any more. Will be taking it down off the wall and swapping it for where my 55c7 is used for Xbox and Playstation gaming. This is not wholly unexpected, I was worried the CX would be too big as a general purpose monitor and it really is. In the way I expected and also in a way I was not.

First, the eye and neck movement to try to see activity in all corners is exhausting. I expected that but its worse than I feared. What I didn't expect was how frustrated I would be with Windows scaling. Both text and graphics just look wrong in everything I do, from web browsing to doc edits to just looking at the home screen. It seems that for ME personally 27" at native 1440P seems to be the right maximum screen size combo.

The good news is I can now sell off the 55 and put those funds towards and X1X and will be ready on day 1 to use that for 120hz and VRR. =)

Other than that the CX is awesome so far. Only complaint: It seems they missed including the bolts to attach the stand. I gotta run to Home Depot today to go get those...

TheFOMO

Agent
Real Name
QT Fomo
Thanks for that assessment Sam! I too was afraid of this - PC monitors are designed to be used/viewed with specific fields of view and resolutions optimized for desktop duty (18" to 24" away), but with a 48" size, suddenly, this distance must be adjusted which throws everything off - distance, resolution and lighting do not scale linearly! This is why I'm utterly aghast at the super curved 49" super wide G9 monitor recently released by Samsung, a trend I expect will end quickly.

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 7.01.56 AM.png

Sam Posten

Real Name
Sam Posten
That's awesome to hear. I am happy you are happy with it. Mine has taken to console gaming like a champ. Watching a lot of DV content over Xbox too. Just need to upgrade the receiver to be ready for next gen VRR / 120hz.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForsyDia