What's new

Lexicon DC-2, MC-1, or Outlaw 950? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison. :)
(Started on another thread, and I felt bad about usurping it.)
Just that I have heard so many positive things about Lexicon's Logic 7.
One thing I don't understand yet, is that the DC-2 is a little older than the MC-1, right? But if I look at used prices, I see about $2200 to $2500 for both used. I guess I would expect the DC-2 to be a little cheaper, and it's really not. ("Version 4" for both.)
Can anyone give a quick summary of the differences between the two?
I admit I have to look at their web site and the reviews more... :b

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Now you went and did it, putting outlaw in the title:D
It is my understanding that the dc-2 is much closer to the mc-1 then the dc-1 is to the dc-2.;)
The dc-2 uses the same 24 bit dacs and is slightly older then the mc-1. A fully loaded dc-1 can be had for 1000.00, while a mc-1 can be had for about 2300.00 and youe right the dc-2 is about the same price. I would go with the mc-1 as its price point is the most attractive.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
I asked this question before. Basically the DC2 and MC1 sound about the same, features and video switching are the differences. Both sound a little cleaner, more detail than the DC1. As long as you get version4, all three should rock at their current price points. Later, you can add the Sony P9000es analog preamp for pure analog bypass and two 5.1 inputs.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If video switching it at all important to you, do not get the DC-1. That was one of its few true weak spots.
Can't comment on the DC-2, but the video switching on the MC-1 is first-rate (S-video and composite only, though).
M.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
For the prices I'm seeing the Lexicons go for now ($1500-2500), you'd be VERY hard pressed to find a better unit.
That's kind of what motivated my question. The MC-1 lists (listed ?) for $6000!

(If I could get one of these under $2000, might be an alternative to the Outlaws/Rotels of the world.)

I downloaded the PDF file descriptions of both, and the MC-1 write-up was dated 1 year later than the DC-2. But actually, it appears as though the DC-2 (v4) might be very comparable to the MC-1 v4. Sort of like being able to upgrade the Denon 5800 receiver to the level of the just-coming-out 5803. Or the offer that Klipsch/Mondial have to upgrade the internals of the old Acurus ACT-3 to Aragon Soundstage performance.

The DC-2/MC-1 both have 24/96 DACs and ADCs, right?

(This is my main reason for wanting to change from the presumed 24/48 of the Sony TA-E9000ES I have now.)

I thought I saw somewhere a mention of a 2-channel direct mode, but I wasn't clear on it. If I want, can I still have the DC-2/MC-1 run 2 channel analog through the crossover and use a sub too?

And, I know that at least from the "product descriptions", that Lexicon is fairly adament about using 2 rear speakers. But I have a 6.1 system. Can the DC-2/MC-1 still make us of that? (In other words, it doesn't have to be a 5.1 *or* 7.1 system, does it?)

Thanks!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Sort of an add on question (I read all of the online reviews I could get a hold of...):
Looks like the extra 2 of the 7.1 are actually side surrounds.
My system is more of a 3 across the front and, the back is sort of like a semi-circle with the L + R rears about 30 deg back from horiz, and the rear straight back (90 deg).
Is this an acceptable set up for the Lexicon?
I do like the "time alignment" feature! (Individual distances to all speakers. If only Outlaw... Just kidding! :) )

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
So where are these great prices on the Lexicons, E-Bay?

I would be very interested to find 'em.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I've seen MC-1's on eBay that have sold in the $2,500 - $2,750 range, but I'm not sure if these are trade-ins (if the unit has not been traded in, it's my understanding it can be applied as a credit towards Lexicon's "baby" MC-12 supposedly coming out in the next 18 months.) If the unit was already traded in (for an MC-12, for an example), then this offer is void. So, if anyone has aspirations towards buying the "baby" 12, make sure if you're buying an MC-1 that you buy one that hasn't been traded in. I believe if you get the serial number on the unit and call Lexicon, they can verify if it's been traded in or not.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
I got my MC1 on audiogon for under $2200. Don't know yet if it still qualifies for a trade-in (I'm too happy to care!). IMO, as long as you get a good price, you can always sell the MC1 and buy the baby MC12 outright.

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,
"and the MC-1 write-up was dated 1 year later than the DC-2."
The actual difference between the time they shipped when they were introduced was about a month or a month and a half. The MC-1 coming out slightly later then the DC-2.
" it appears as though the DC-2 (v4) might be very comparable to the MC-1 v4. "
Very similiar. The MC-1 just has a few more digital/video inputs/outputs, better video switching, expansion ports (direct to DAC connections), and a different case and front panel display. If they are both v4 the processing of the two is identical, assuming the DC-2 is a DD/DTS model.
"The DC-2/MC-1 both have 24/96 DACs and ADCs, right? "
The DC-2/MC-1 has 24/96 DACs but the ADCs are run at 44.1/20 bit.
However, the DC-2 can't accept a PCM 96kHz input as the processing section isn't built for it. 48.1kHz is the limit and even then some of the older reverb modes won't work at 48kHz. The same holds true on the MC-1 but you can connect a 96kHz source to the expansion ports for purist (no processing at all) listening.
"(In other words, it doesn't have to be a 5.1 *or* 7.1 system, does it?) "
To take advantage of Logic 7 it really does have to be a 5.1 or 7.1 system. See:
http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Lexicon/dg_qa1.html
for an interview with the designer of Logic 7 where he mentions a 6.1 system just doesn't work very well.
For more info on the Lexicons go to:
http://www.lexicon.com/downloads/mc1_downloads.asp
and download the 'Theory and Design' booklet. Lots of great info on setup.
Shawn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks