What's new

Let's REALLY Understand HT Crossovers (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm starting this thread because I see so much lack of understanding and misinformation on how crossovers, subs, mains and surrounds actually interact. I don't pretend to know all of it, but I know there are a few others here who can accurately fill in some of the holes. Beyond that, there is a lot of grey area, because manufacturers don't always provide all the specs on how their crossovers work.

I will provide what I can and ask some others to fill in some of the blanks. I am hoping members will refrain from adding speculation or things they think are correct, because to paraphrase Mark Twain, "so much of what we know simply ain't true."

My point for this thread is really just HT crossovers set in the receiver or processor between the speakers and sub, because this is such an enormous and intricate subject, taking on more will just make if too big a topic.

Crossovers are not a brick wall...
It is common to think the crossover setting is a sharp change from the speaker to the sub. As though if you set it to 80Hz, then anything 80Hz and above is sent only to the mains and anything 79Hz and below only to the sub. The truth is, there is a rolloff. Typically, the crossover frequency is where both the speaker and sub are at -3dB, because, in theory, if you have two sources running at -3dB, it is the same volume as 1 at 0dB.

You have a low pass filter, which filters out the higher frequencies and passes the low ones to the sub. The rate at which this rolls off is usually pretty steep, 24dB/octave for example, because sub drivers are typically not intended to reproduce frequencies into even low midrange. You also have a high pass filter, which filters out the low frequencies and passes the higher ones to the speakers. This one has a more gradual rolloff, 6dB per octave for example. Now, listen to something at a given volume, then reduce it by 6dB and you'll see that isn't much of a change. To know what one octave is, either half or double the Hz.

So, it you set your crossover to 80Hz, in this example, it only drops 6dB at 40 Hz. People are constantly confused why I keep telling them not to set the crossover at the minimum usable frequency of their mains, and this is why. If you do that, the crossover not only doesn't have the chance to work right, you put more of a strain on your speakers than you need to. Plus, if you have invested substantial money in a good sub, you are not taking full advantage of it. More on that later though.

There are more reasons to not drop the crossover to the minimum. By relieving the mains the strain of going to their low extreme, you not only reileve your amp of the significant burdon low frequencies cause, but the speakers as well. This can give noticeable improvements to the entire system. So, you say you have large full-range floorstanding speakers and tons of power and they shouldn't be limited that way? Read on.

My "Large" horror story...

My mains are very capable, solidly built Thiel CS 3.6. You can see they are rated flat, within 1.5 dB down to 29 Hz. Depending on what rating you accept, (I have seen them rated from 4 ohm to 3 ohm) my Aragon 4004II amp delivers between 400 and 600 wpc to them. So, power is not really an issue. When I first bought them, there was no home 5.1. At first, I had a Velodyne sub with its own external amp and crossover. The main channels were run through the amp, which split off the sub signal, then on to the Aragon for the Thiels. This is how I first ran my 5.1 system, which wasn't true 5.1, since I had to set the sub to "Off" and the mains to "Large" the get the LFE and other bass to the sub.

Then I got a sub designed for 5.1 use. I set the sub to "On" and without even thinking about it, left the mains to "Large". After all, with those speakers and all that power, I'd have to be an idiot to set them to "Small". The very idea was absurd.

I got it all tuned in and listened to music, which sounded great. Then some movies. Also great. Then one night, while I was cranking out an action flick at reference level I discovered what happens when you apply that much clean power and infrasonic signal to any speaker. It was the sound of the woofer voice coils slamming into the end of their travel with a blood curdling "Chunk!!". I sat in horror for a minute while I thought about what had happened. It was obvious. Presented with those kinds of demands, the mains had to be set to "Small" if they were going to live and I was going to use the system to its full potential. The chunk never happened again and the system has never lacked for bass. At first I though the 80Hz minimum setting on my processor was too high, but I've never thought about it again, after just letting the system do its thing and not dwelling on it.

Of course, the slope rates I give are not the same for every system. Unfortunately, receiver and processor manufacturers don't seem to like to give up what the slopes actually are. Plus, some allow different settings for each speaker, which is good. Just don't set it too low.

This is just scratching the surface and I hope some of the truly knowlegable members will add to it.

RickiRed

Grip
Real Name
Rick Houston

Gotcha! I only used 60 because I wasn't sure what the selectable points were. I actually have the center set as small so it has been working well. But now that I am here at home in front of the TV and have my manual with me I know now that it is 80, 100, and 120. I have the the mains set at 80Hz in the receiver. On the back of the KSW12 I have the lowpass crossover set at around 70. I did this because I wanted to allow the fronts to begin thier roll off before the sub kicks in. I also didn't want there to be too much overlap with the sub and fronts. Is this not right and what would be your suggestions. Please forgive me for confusing everyone earlier but I do understand that the crossover doesn't actually "cutoff" the freq. below the x-over point you select but as John R. puts it, it rolls it off.

John G. I am going to play with large and small settings and see what comes of it, thanks for the input.

John R.

Looking at the manual for my receiver it says:

-Crossover Frequency-
When "Subwoofer" is set to "yes" at the "Speaker Configuration Setting" set the frequency (hz) belowwhich the bass sound of the various speakers is to be output from the subwoofer (the crossover frequency)
For speakers set to "small", sound with a frequency below the crossover frequency is cut, and the cut bass sound is output from the subwoofer instead.
NOTE:For ordinary speaker systems we recommend setting the crossover frequency to 80Hz. When using small speakers, however, setting the crossover frequency to a high frequency may improve frequency responce for frequencies near the crossover frequency.

-Subwoofer mode-
The subwoofer mode setting is only valid when "LARGE" is set for the front speakers and "YES" is set for the subwoofer in the "Speaker Config." settings
When the "LFE+Main" mode is selected, the low frequency signal range of the channels set at "LARGE" are produced simultaneously from those channels and the subwoofer channel.

With all the info and manuals I have for the RF3's and my Denon I don't have the cutoff slope for the built in crossovers in the denon nor the RF3's so that is one area that I am just working blind. Klipsch does give a freq response of 37Hz-20kHz±3dB but that is not doing me much good if I am not sure how steep the cut off is.

John R. you make very good points about the brick wall and I by no means think that. I think my problem earlier was that I was being far to general when a more detailed answer was needed. However it is still good to know that I am not too far off on my thinking after very good posts by the both of you.

OH yeah you have some very nice equipment.

RickiRed

Grip
Real Name
Rick Houston
:eek:

Slow down guys I can only take in so much this late at night but all the info is great keep it coming and I can't wait for more discussion:emoji_thumbsup:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Rick, I will point out one thing to change with what you are doing. Your receiver has a crossover (low pass filter, set at 80Hz?) on the sub output. You also are using the crossover on the sub, set to 70Hz, if I read you right. You should never use both crossovers, as this is what is referred to as cascading crossovers, and can cause all sorts of problems. In this situation, the crossover on the sub should always be bypassed, or if it has no bypass, it should be set to its highest setting, to avoid the two crossovers "running" into each other.

Also, if the mains are set to "large" they don't ever roll off. Any speaker set to "large" bypasses any crossover frequency you have set. Look at the second article MikeNg linked to.

SHS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
scott
Nice thread John, thanks. Now, if you could just write s'thn like this for tax law!!:confused:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Good write-up, John. I had that same sickening experience (the speakers bottoming out during an action flick). My speakers were good to about 28 Hz, so I set my crossover for 60 Hz, thinking that having it an octave above their maximum extension would be safe enough. Wrong. And my external crossover has 24 dB/octave slopes on both sides! IOW, at 30 Hz the bass signal in my mains should have been attenuated by 24 dB.

What people fail to consider is that the signal content of some movies, especially action flicks. The extreme amount of boost at the lowest frequencies can effectively flatten a high-pass filter, or at the very least reduce the slope considerably. The crossover should be able to protect your speakers, even if the slope is significantly diminished, but consider the consequences of not having the crossover on-line. Without its low frequency attenuation, you end up with the same effect as adding a 15-20 dB boost at 25 Hz with an equalizer. No one in his right mind would do that intentionally, but your DVD is effectively doing the same thing.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

RickiRed

Grip
Real Name
Rick Houston

Well at this point the large setting seems rather pointless and very unnecessary. I can't believe I have gon on this long using this feature. I am having that same feeling that I got when I bought my first Sony receiver that listed 5.1 on it but didn't make any mention of DD or DTS.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
this is one of the reasons why some very wealthy people pay a lot of money to have someone else choose, install and setup everything and then all they have to learn is how to use GUI touchscreens on remotes and monitors around the house. i just wonder how many of these systems still get the crossovers wrong. for a six figure+ professional HT installation i'd sure expect it to sound good.

i suppose this is one of the arguments for going all THX. there are standards designed to address the crossover/ bass management issues specifically. of course if you've got a partial THX system it may defeat the purpose and make things worse not better.

MikeNg

Second Unit
If it's professionally done, I'd expect a modest 5-figure system to sound good! Large/small options persist because people want options. Maybe the real answer isn't to do away with it, but to make 'small' the default. MOST systems being set up for cinema will want this, and I'd have to imagine that most systems using AVR's are being set up for cinema. It'd be great if AVR's could have two configurable, selectable modes to run as well, since many of us choose to run our speakers between large and small, depending on what the source is. Wouldn't it be great if you could press one button to automatically toggle crossover/BM settings for ALL speakers?

Crossover/bass management seems to be just a facet of THX. There's the cabling, room, HVAC, lighting, etc. I agree, unless you go ALL THX, one may not realize the full benefit of paying premium for THX branded items.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

It is mainly there for those who don't use or own subs, and they are out there...

Don't worry, there's a TON of good info here, so you will certainly get an education hanging around here and be giving advice to others in no time :)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Outlaw has this on their sole receiver, but perhaps not to the extent that you're describing. It has a switch on the back where you can:

1. Use an analog crossover of 80Hz
2. Bypass the crossover
3. Use digital crossover management

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Marantz has "source direct" mode which bypasses any tone controls and bass management, so if using a stereo source, you get no sub and full range with the mains at the press of 1 button :)

I believe the NAD receivers can be configured per source.

RickiRed

Grip
Real Name
Rick Houston

My Denon has a direct mode also which is how i listen to all my music. This may be why I never really noticed my mistakes in my sub/large set up. When I listen to music the volume is moderate so I never experienced any issues with bottoming out.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't assume "direct" modes all bypass bass management though. I am using a Pioneer receiver as a head unit (Yeah, I don't have the same income these days I had back in the pre-5.1 ones) and when I use "Direct" for music, which I always do, using an external DAC, I still get use of the sub. Its level is the same as it is for surround modes, so I actually have to switch to a surround mode to adjust it. It sure would be nice if my receiver let me set the sub level by input, so I could dial it down a bit on the CD input. At least it automatically goes to the last mode for each input, so it always goes to "Direct" for CD and standard surround for DVD.

Also, not so well known secret about THX is that where the sub is concerned, it sacrifices extension for maximum output. My receiver is a full THX unit, and I used to run it in THX mode. It was Ron Stimpson of SVS who pointed out to me this sacrifice THX has chosen. I prefer extension over maximum output, so I have never used it since, and it does make a difference. In fact, I despise all the modified soundfield modes as well. Standard surround is it for me.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Good stuff guys. Yes, I was aware of the 'Direct' modes that various receivers offer. It's not precisely what I'm after (more control over bass management). Very close though. I still want bass reinforcement when running stereo modes. Can't find a '2.1' on my receiver.

RickiRed

Grip
Real Name
Rick Houston
With direct mode on my receiver my sub is set for aouto turn on and never turns on cause I don't think it ever sees a signal.

I like lots of mid-bass in my music listening and never really liked the way the klipsch sounded when combined with the towers in Large mode now I am begining to understand why my crossover points have been messed up all this time. Because of this I listen to all music in Direct with the sub off.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Direct mode for Marantz means different things based on the inputs for my receiver. For stereo, there is no sub in a stereo signal analog or digital, so in direct, there is no sub. I use this for CDs when I don't want the extra thump and just want some quiet listening. With movies, again whether digital or analog, the sub is used if you feed a signal with a .1 channel so it is used, but the mains are set to large.

I never use THX post processing either.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And...I have two Pioneer receivers, the THX one, and a cheapo for the family room. With both of them, I get an active sub in Direct mode, regardless of the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks