What's new

Let me run this by you to decide who's right, and who's wrong..... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I go to my yearly attendance of a 4 hour radio show at 6 AM. After waiting in line for a few hours, we finally get shuffled in.
As the first hour progress, I see this little kid try to get in front of me for a better view. I don't move at first, but start to feel a little guilty so I move back a step. Then her older sister comes in and I move back a step more, along with her mother.
Now, keep in mind there's at least 2,000 people packed into this semi tiny bar. There's a live band playing, and EVERYONE is getting bummped into by someone else all over the place because we're so close together. This idiot behind me says something I can barley understand because of the loud music. But it sounded like, move a bit over to this empty space so you're not bumping into me.
Now, I think nothing of it, because if I don't move over, this girl in front of me is going to be bombarding me anyway, so I have to move back. About ten minutes later, the music is low enough to be heard, and he says, "You better move over or else there's going to be a problem." I try to explain to him that he's bumping into me as much as I'm bumping into him, because of the close space, and if he dosn't like it, HE should move over. Especially considering it's happening to everyone.
He continues to argue, so not wanting to say anything, I take mmy little plastic shopping bag with a few line items like Soda in it, and move over.
Now tell me, does that sound like someone who was looking for trouble? I didn't notice if he was drinking any of the available beverages, but I wouldn't be surprised. You don't say, "Or there's going to be trouble", if you don't mean it...
Sigh, this is why I hate large crowds :)

Danny R

Supporting Actor
I think its obvious that he was being antagonistic (and thus is the "wrong" party here). You could have been quite in the right to stay your ground, but then the question moves over to which one of you is better able to beat the other up!

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Neil,

Its always tough to tell where the other guy is coming from but overall you did the right thing by moving. No sense getting into something over nothing. Your are the better man.

I personally don't mind confrontation at all but you have to watch out for the type of people who let it get out of hand very quickly instead of semi-intelligently arguing a point. The recent rash of hockey parent fights is a great example of this.

Patrick

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>You could have been quite in the right to stay your ground, but then the question moves over to which one of you is better able to beat the other up! >>
I beleive the term 'make peace, not war', applies to myself in all cases like this :). Besides, I'm not that tall, not that quick, and not that strong, heh.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I really don't like the idea of "it's better to do what he says then to get into trouble." Why should people be allowed to get away with acting like jerks?

My neighbors yell at me all the time for parking in public spots because it's in front of their house, even though they are PUBLIC. I've been threatened with all sorts of things. Should I just move the car with my tail between my legs? No, I park, flip them off, and go home comfortably. If anything happens to it, they'll have to deal with me.

Bullies should not be allowed to win.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
They might think you're the bully. :D
Being nice to someone, if it doesn't really matter one way or another to you, isn't the same as "losing".
As for the concert, it sounds like the guy was looking for trouble. If I was in Neil's situation, I would have moved if the place I moved to was equally good as where I was originally standing. If it was a worse spot, I wouldn't have moved.
/Mike

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I rather agree. Flaunting a dangerous weapon, last I heard, is a felony offense. Let's not bring the subject up again, please.

As for Neil's situation: Was there any alcohol involved, maybe? I've seen it all here in Hollywood: overcrowded clubs (as in call-the-fire marshall-overcrowded), lots and lots of booze, loud music, male/female jealousy issues, and--viola!--fisticuffs! Who woulda thunk?

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Bullies should not be allowed to win.
I agree 100%, but - and I'm still learning this myself - you have to pick and choose your battles. This one, IMHO, was one to let go. The guy was a prick and with any luck will eventually get his ass kicked over it, but it doesn't sound like it was worth fighting over.

Though, I would have said something like, "Tell you what, I'm going to go ahead and move, but not because you threatened me. No, I'm going to move because I'm a nice guy and I'm just not in the mood to beat the living f***ing shit out of you right now for being such an inconsiderate dick. Good day." And I would have found a place as far away from him as possible.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>As for Neil's situation: Was there any alcohol involved, maybe? I've seen it all here in Hollywood: overcrowded clubs (as in call-the-fire marshall-overcrowded), lots and lots of booze, loud music, male/female jealousy issues, and--viola!--fisticuffs! Who woulda thunk? >>
As for this situation.... It was a bit crowded, don't know about over crowded, however. There was 'alchyhall' being served, and people where probably bringing their own in as well. I heard someone behind me ask, "You're drunk already, arn't you?" And the reply was "Yeah, probably". Couldn't tell if it was the same situation in this case.
As far as jealousy over ladies, that's not something I do, so I don't have that problem to worry about. I'm too nice a guy to steal someones gal :).

David King

Stunt Coordinator
If nobody ever stands up to Bullies then how are they ever going to learn? I was pushed around by whole childhood in school because I was so scared I would be suspended if I defended myself. I do not allow this to happen anymore.

If I were in this situation, I would have completely ignored the piece of crap and went on watching pretending like I did't hear him. He can talk all he wants, he is allowed that by law. But if he at any point touches you, even if its just a light tap on the shoulder with his finger, it is by law "assult". Nobody is allowed to touch you even if there is no way that it could harm you. Just call the police and press charges.

He continues to argue
Never argue with idiots, first they bring you down to their level, then they beat you with experience.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hehe,
Finally got a chance to listen to the tape of the live broadcast. Didn't hear this when it was originally said, but i rememberd people taking pictures of the crowd. Take a look at this one..

Behind the lady in the front row, looking to the left, is myself, and to her right, is the guy in question... When I was there, I was trying to avoid that area at all costs, so I didn't notice his friend had taken up my former viewing spot...that could also be another reason for him wanting me to take a hike... It could have been a mis understanding on my part, but I highly doubt it. Ah well... still had a good time, and plan to go to a different location in the bad next year :)
IIRC, the band on stage is one called "The Nerds", if anyone wants to know, heh.

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Who's the blonde chick?????????:D
Oh, is that Peter Jennings on the far right? He looks hammered!

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Yup that looks like "The Nerds". Excellent cover band, been playing the NJ/NY scene forever. I've seen them many, many times.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>Who's the blonde chick????????? >
Heh, wich Blonde Lady? There's two behind me, and one to the right :). Not to mention a few that had to squeeze through the rest of us as they tried to manuver their way through the crowd, heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks