What's new
World Wide Stereo

Layout my room for me ( diagram) (1 Viewer)

Anthony Chiu

Agent
Ok, in the last week I found myself buying 10 different speaker systems. Everything from Axion to Klipsch to Ascends.
This is becoming very confusing.

I want to spend about $1200.00 for a 5.1 system.(including Sub)
I have a Pioneer VSX-D912 Receiver, that has the ability to go up to 7.1. At this time, I'll stick with 5.1

I made a "rough sketch" (please don't laugh)of my room.
Please note that the sofa rests up against the rear and side walls.
**The room is fully carpeted**

What would YOU buy for this room?
And HOW would you set it up?

[ (12/6/03) Link was deleted to conserve bandwidth]
Thanks for the replies

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jin E

Second Unit
Personally. I would rotate the Couch 90 degrees clockwise (effectivly sectioning off the living room) and put the front soundstage and TV on the 16ft Wall. Speakers 8ft appart. If you don't you will have problems acheiving an ideal setup with the one side of the room open. You can treat the 16ft wall and see if you can dampen any reflection from it... but that is never a wife friendly option. Rear channels can be ceiling mounted firing forward, or mounted on the side firing inwards if room allows (as recommended by Dolby). IMHO of course!

John S

Senior HTF Member
After type'n up three replies to this, and not posting them, I think I would take a weekend, and try every combo, on various types of materials to decide which is best.

The post above had the most practical suggestions, as it would be much easier to achieve an accurate expansive sound stage with the widescreen on the long wall. I have a friend who's setup is very similar, he used the long wall for the widescreen, and the got some heavy black drapes behind the furniture, and basically made it a nice semi-dedicated HT room. I was amazed at how well the heavy drapes, isolated the room, even a tad jealous of his setup. He has the sub in the corner to the side of his widescreen though. Drives real well there.

Anthony Chiu

Agent
Personally. I would rotate the Couch 90 degrees clockwise (effectivly sectioning off the living room) and put the front soundstage and TV on the 16ft Wall. Speakers 8ft appart
I gave this idea some thought.
However, I did fail mention that there's a door on the other 16' wall, that leads outside. ( The house was built as a "mother/daughter" or studio apt.) Rotating the sofa covered both the doorway into the room, and the door that exits outside.

It also eliminates my "computer area"

BTW...This is not my livingroom. I have a LR upstairs. This is a spare room in my basement.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Get rid of the sectional, and dedicate it to HT, would make a great dedicated HT room. Just a thought, I mean for not to much money you could make something really cool out of it. If not, just experiment with it. Nearly every install has compromises, and it is best to find the one you feel sounds the best. I have a lot of big compromises going on with my system, but it is still a setup, most tell me could be the best they have ever heard. (including some in the know) I tend to go for beefy speakers all the way around as my secret, it seems to have a significant impact in the overall experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks