What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Laurel & Hardy: The Flying Deuces (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
My Network On Air Blu-ray of THE FLYING DEUCES arrived in today's Mail! :)

Besides the by now obvious fact (To those who have seen the Screenshots!) that the Visuals on this is superior to those on the recent VCI Entertainment Blu-ray issue, the White Lettered Subtitles also appear to be more descriptive, in that they also describe the Music and ambient sounds that are ignored on the Yellow Lettered Subtitles that appear on the VCI version!

Bonus Features aside, if this All Regions Blu-ray presentation has a downside in comparison to the VCI Blu-ray, I've yet to encounter it! I will attempt to do a Screenshot comparison that focuses on Network On Air's less pristine Visual bits, though I suspect the same Film source/s were referenced, albeit by two different Restoration Teams.

CHEERS! :)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
After having played the Network On Air Blu-ray, I briefly put on the VCI BD, and I noticed just how off the lighting on the latter is by comparison! As much of an improvement the recent VCI Release represented for THE FLYING DEUCES, one wouldn't know it when comparing it to the clearly Visually superior Network version that represents the new "Gold Standard" for this Title!

The only thing that I find a bit puzzling, is the running time for the VCI Entertainment version appears to be approximately 20 seconds longer than Network On Air's. This is even with excluding the tagged on Restoration Credits for each. Attempting to determine whether there's any actual footage missing from the Network Print (I honestly couldn't pinpoint anything!), or if its playback is ever so marginally faster (If so, it's imperceptible to my Ears!) than VCI's may take a thorough combing through of both versions!

Like VCI, the Network Blu-ray's End Cast Credits features the proper End Music, rather than the usual sloppily dubbed Opening Laurel & Hardy Theme Music!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
While I hope that I'm wrong, I fear that I may be unable to do Screenshots for either Blu-ray at this time! It turns out that the Leawo Blu-ray Player software that I downloaded a few weeks back, may have been a Trial version, as it now seems to be refusing to play any Blu-rays! Unfortunately, it is the only software I know of that will allow me to capture Blu-ray Screenshots, which I could do via the "PrtScn" Key. The Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 software that came bundled with my Pioneer Blu-ray Burner will unfortunately, not accommodate this function! :(

I've confirmed the Leawo software was a Trial version. The so-called helpful update link points to versions that cost $$ to get a one year subscription (What ever happened to pay once and done?), and have to be renewed in order to remain usable!

As much as it sucks that I can't do Blu-ray Screenshots, I absolutely refuse to fork over $$ for a stupid limited time subscription! If I can't at least buy the software package outright and pay to upgrade at my choosing, forget about it! :angry:

So much for my grandiose plans! :(

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Tony Bensley said:
While I hope that I'm wrong, I fear that I may be unable to do Screenshots for either Blu-ray at this time! It turns out that the Leawo Blu-ray Player software that I downloaded a few weeks back, may have been a Trial version, as it now seems to be refusing to play any Blu-rays! Unfortunately, it is the only software I know of that will allow me to capture Blu-ray Screenshots, which I could do via the "PrtScn" Key. The Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 software that came bundled with my Pioneer Blu-ray Burner will unfortunately, not accommodate this function! :(

I've confirmed the Leawo software was a Trial version. The so-called helpful update link points to versions that cost $$ to get a one year subscription (What ever happened to pay once and done?), and have to be renewed in order to remain usable!

As much as it sucks that I can't do Blu-ray Screenshots, I absolutely refuse to fork over $$ for a stupid limited time subscription! If I can't at least buy the software package outright and pay to upgrade at my choosing, forget about it! :angry:

So much for my grandiose plans! :(
As it turns out, I was mistaken, in that the aforementioned Leawo software IS free! My apologies to them for this misunderstanding!

What led in part, to this, was the fact that while my Network FD Blu-ray played using my Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 interface without any issues, it would NOT play on the Leawo Blu-ray Player. When I checked into their update to fix page, was when I came across the paid for subscription versions, and jumped to conclusions!

After much headache and hand wringing, it turns out it is only that particular Network On Air Blu-ray that won't play on the Leawo software (God only knows why!), as I've since found that other BDs seem to play just fine!

Of course, this does absolutely nothing to help me be able to take screenshot captures from what is in my opinion, the BEST visual version of THE FLYING DEUCES yet to see Home Video Release, but so it goes!

There are worse things, I guess! :rolleyes:

P.S. Yes, I'm "talking to myself" again, Mike! ;)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
They can't even afford a DVD replication run. That shows how big of a seller this title is for them.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Regarding my prior issue in regards to my Leawo Blu-ray software not playing my Network On Air Blu-ray of THE FLYING DEUCES, after having accepted a free update, it did play the aforementioned Blu-ray. Thus, I've been able to do some "Prt Scn" Screen Captures, which I did earlier this evening!

While the Network On Air Blu-ray's overall visual quality is, in my opinion, superior to the VCI Entertainment Blu-ray, I've also noticed that the former isn't entirely without its own visual anomalies. The one that especially stood out for me is posted below:

THE FLYING DEUCES - Network On Air Blu-ray:

THE FLYING DEUCES - NETWORK - 05 (Fade In Anomaly) Silhouetted Tree At Sunrise.jpg

THE FLYING DEUCES - VCI Entertainment Blu-ray:

THE FLYING DEUCES - VCI Entertainment - Silhouette Tree Fade In.jpg

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Seanhtf said:
The Flying Deuces, despite being an RKO release, was never in Turner's hands. Rights to the film reverted to producer Boris Morros, who sold it to a company named Commonwealh Films, an outfit that apparently never bothered to renew the copyrights on anything they owned, consigning them all to public domain hell.

Sean
Hi Sean!

So it's to Commonwealth Films (Actually, Commonwealth Pictures) that credit is owed for the many dozens of THE FLYING DEUCES Public Domain prints that have flooded the Home Video Marketplace over the decades! :P

Interestingly, I find that Commonwealth Pictures Wikipedia page provides some clues as to how THE FLYING DEUCES may have wound up in Public Domain Hell, and also eventually received some much needed (And deserved!) restoration.

Here is their Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Pictures

I wonder what company was responsible for allowing a similar fate for the U.S. version of Laurel & Hardy's last Feature, entitled UTOPIA? This is a shorter, 82 minute version of their European Filmed/Released ATOLL K (Now available in its original 98 minute length.), that was also issued in the UK as ROBINSON CRUSOELAND.

Tony

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Throughout the 1970's, I remember saving my pennies, allowances and - later - monies from my first job, buying the L&H shorts/features from Blackhawk Films on Super 8mm with Magnetic Sound. Hard to believe that we have so gratefully arrived in a time where a full-length wide screen film in both color and 7.1 sound can be owned at all; let alone for prices of $40 dollars and even less. Those 20 minute L&H Blackhawk shorts went for upwards of 28 bucks; and boy, were we ever grateful to have the opportunity to own just those titles, alone. My, oh, my...how far we have advanced.

Yup, it was Blackhawk Films out of Davenport, Iowa that featured in their monthly mail order catalog an array of D.W. Griffith, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Little Rascals, Harold Llyod, Charlie Chase and Laurel & Hardy titles for the keeping.

A Super 8mm/Magnetic Sound of "Way Out West" went for somewhere in neighborhood of $69.00 to $79.00; which I watched again and again. Such prices seemed so well worth it in the 1970's. Whenever Blackhawk held a sale on selected catalog titles their popularity was such that these titles often went into a "Back Order" status; leaving loyal customers in a familiar par-for-the-course holding pattern of 2-6 week delay in receiving their coup of celluloid ownership.

Likewise, there was Castle Films (a product of Universal Pictures). Their offerings contrasted Blackhawk Films insomuch as they offered excerpt/highlight scenes from longer feature films exclusive to their studio. They were cleverly edited, boiling an entire feature length film down to 7-9 minutes. These fun little reels fashioned a Reader's Digest version of many Universal titles; with such fares from W.C. Fields, Abbott and Costello, Boris Karloff and The Marx Brothers. Both Blackhawk Films and Castle Films offered 8mm, Super 8 and 16mm formats; both in silent and sound editions. If the film was in color; such as an excerpt reel from Don Knotts "The Reluctant Astronaut"; then the price went higher. And, believe me, once you got to the 16mm format the prices were through the roof; at least from the standpoint of my teenage years. The only way an average film buff from those years could possibly hold an entire feature film within their hands was to go through groups that specialized in the rental of feature films - but never sold - within the 16mm format; such as Willoughby (sp.) to schools, church groups, etc. To my mind, ownership of a full length feature film was something that belonged only to the studio mogul or the millionaire with connections.

This nostalgic observation should give one pause in light of soon being able to own a 4K restoration of "My Fair Lady" or "Spartacus"; as the prospects of being able to own such titles in color and sound - let alone within it's full entirety - would have cost a King's ransom, before the advent of home theaters. Think of it..."My Fair Lady" and "Spartacus", in all it's fully intended glory and proper ratios would never had been possible in the 1970's. No such title could had ever been owned for private use. And, within a few short weeks, each and every one of us can own BOTH of these aforementioned titles for less than the cost of a Super 8 Magnetic Sound edition of "Way Out West".

So...with Blackhawk Films arguably pioneering - if not inspiring - the home video market in all its incarnations, I find it ironic that Laurel & Hardy has not yet received something more substantial in BD's; as has Griffith, Chaplin and Lloyd.

My ideal restorations and/or Blu Ray of L&H would be to lead with a disc comprising of "Sons of the Desert", "Way Out West" and "The Music Box"; which captured the Oscar for Best Short Subject. I would further elect that Leonard Maltin to be amongst those contributing to a commentary track; as my introduction to him as a teenager began with a great hardcover book, which comprehensively covered the great movie shorts of that era.

- PMF

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
PMF said:
Throughout the 1970's, I remember saving my pennies, allowances and - later - monies from my first job, buying the L&H shorts/features from Blackhawk Films on Super 8mm with Magnetic Sound. Hard to believe that we have so gratefully arrived in a time where a full-length wide screen film in both color and 7.1 sound can be owned at all; let alone for prices of $40 dollars and even less. Those 20 minute L&H Blackhawk shorts went for upwards of 28 bucks...and boy, were we ever grateful to have the opportunity to own just those, alone. My oh my, how far we have advanced.

Yup, it was Blackhawk Films that featured an array of D.W. Griffith, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Charlie Chase and Laurel & Hardy titles for the keeping.

A Super 8mm/Magnetic Sound of "Way Out West" went for about $79.00; which I watched again and again.

So...with Blackhawk Films arguably pioneering - if not inspiring - the market for home video, I find it ironic that Laurel & Hardy has not yet received something more substantial in BD's; as has Griffith, Chaplin and Lloyd.

My ideal restorations and/or Blu Ray of L&H would be to lead with a disc comprising of "The Music Box" (Oscar winner - Best Short Subject), "Way Out West" and "Sons of the Desert". I would further elect that Leonard Maltin to be amongst those doing a commentary track; as my introduction to him as a teenager began with a great hardcover book, which comprehensively covered the great movie shorts of that era.

- PMF

Hi Philip!

That would be a dream Blu-ray!

While, at least the versions of THE MUSIC BOX and WAY OUT WEST (Both have HD Transfers!) that appear on the 2011 RHI/Vivendi Release of LAUREL & HARDY: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION, are in my opinion, about as good as they can be expected to look on DVD, given the available source materials, in my opinion, the HD Transfer for SONS OF THE DESERT was pretty badly botched with some on again/off again muddy contrast issues. While this isn't an issue with the 2004 UK Universal and 2002 German Kinowelt versions, there are issues with pixelation, particularly during the parade sequence.

I've stated this before, but it is my opinion that, especially with better versions of THE FLYING DEUCES now available in the marketplace, SONS OF THE DESERT ought to be the next Laurel & Hardy project to receive a proper restoration for home video, since out of the three top L&H titles that you mentioned, it easily needs the most work! I believe that WAY OUT WEST already looks about as good as can be expected, and barring a discovery of better 35mm Film elements, the sourced from dupey 16mm Film stock for Reel 3 of THE MUSIC BOX is likely about as good as can be expected, at present!

Tony

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Way Out West, even if the same print sources were used as for the existing DVD, would look far better on Blu ray thanks to the superior resolution. It is a myth that 'dvd is good enough', as all home cinema owners will attest to!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the rundown on this title, which hasn't itself been elusive, but the quality certainly has been. It'll be nice to have a good version. Placed an order for this as well as the restoration of Hitchcock's Lodger at Amazon UK.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
AnthonyClarke said:
Way Out West, even if the same print sources were used as for the existing DVD, would look far better on Blu ray thanks to the superior resolution. It is a myth that 'dvd is good enough', as all home cinema owners will attest to!
Hi Anthony!

Being my favorite Laurel & Hardy Film, I would love to see WAY OUT WEST issued to Blu-ray! The main reason I lean on SONS OF THE DESERT so much at present, is the same reason I had previously done the same for THE FLYING DEUCES; in my opinion, there really isn't even a definitive DVD version, let alone Blu-ray release, of SONS OF THE DESERT!

By the way, HD versions of all of the titles from LAUREL & HARDY: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION, are supposed to be made available on U.S. based iTunes. While this is of no help to you or I as we're both outside of U.S. Territory, it is my hope that Sonar (Formerly, RHI) Entertainment might eventually also issue these to Blu-ray, though it isn't in their current plans to do so. Ideally, I would also like to see SONS OF THE DESERT tweaked for better, more consistent lighting and contrast, than what currently appears for this classic title within the U.S. based 10 DVD set!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Earlier today, I noticed that somebody on Facebook posted the Blu-ray cover of a 3D version with the German title (Dick Und Doof Der Fremdenlegion 3D). Unfortunately, I've been unable to relocate this FB entry, and searches on Google, Bing and even Amazon Germany (amazon.de), have come up empty! :P

I've no interest in purchasing the above myself, but I do think it warrants some sort of listing!

Has anyone else seen this? Any thoughts?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The 3D aspect of the new German Blu-ray doesn't tickle my fancy, and the low resolution screenshots don't fully demonstrate just how good/bad the visuals are, though I've certainly seen far worse with this title! Incidentally, the cover reminds me too much of a certain failed Region 1 DVD effort from 2012, and the listed 65 minute running time makes me feel a bit uneasy, also! :P

The Network On Air Blu-ray is still the one that gets my recommendation, although I'd be interested in receiving some feedback about the 2D version of this new release by Edel Germany GmbH!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
At the risk of rebooting the MPEG-2 encoding issue with the VCI "Flying Deuces" Blu-ray, I'm posting a discovery I just made a little while ago. Earlier, I checked DVD Beaver's 2009 Review for the VCI Entertainment SCROOGE (1951). Much to my surprise, MPEG-4 AVC encoding was used! Then, how come VCI's 2015 FD Blu-ray only got DVD Level MPEG-2 encoding, since it wasn't as though they weren't already equipped for the more advanced MPEG-4? :P

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Here is the 3D Blu-ray (Original 2D version also included), as listed on Amazon Germany: http://www.amazon.de/Dick-Doof-Fremdenlegion-3D-Blu-ray/dp/B014U1IOB6/
The 2 reviews that actually refer to the above release concentrate mostly on the 3D (Or lack, thereof!) aspect, rather than the overall visual quality.

I'm primarily interested in how the visual quality of the 2D version in particular compares with last year's Blu-ray issues by VCI Entertainment in the U.S, and Network On Air in the UK. Also, as this version has a listed 65 minute running time (As opposed to 68 plus minutes!), whether or not this version of THE FLYING DEUCES is complete!

Here is the front cover:
81-YRvGespL._SL1452_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks