What's new

Last piece(s) to the puzzle......for now.......help? (1 Viewer)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Okay.....my upgrade-itis is nearly cured (for the time being), but I really need some help figuring out the last decision or two.

I just placed an order for a Paradigm studio cc and studio/100's, so this is where my current system stands:

Mains: Studio/100's (on the way)
Center: Studio CC (on the way)
Rears: Mini-monitors v.2
Surrounds: Mini-monitors v.2
Sub: SVS 20-39 Pci
Outlaw M200 monoblocks x3 (fronts and center)
Parasound HCA-855 (rears and surrounds)
Outlaw 950 pre/pro

The last decision I need to make is whether to stick with my mini-monitors x4 in the back, or upgrade them to Studio/20's. I can only afford to upgrade one pair for the time being, so that means I have to go with either 1)a pair of 20's for the surrounds and a pair of minis for the rears, or 2) the 20's for surrounds and stay with 5.1 until I can get another pair for the rears and go to 7.1.

I guess what it boils down to is, will the minis stick out like a sore thumb when running the studios in front? Or are they likely going to be adequate for the back? I won't have the center and mains for about 7 days, so some preliminary feedback from HTF members would be wonderful. I've really appreciated all that I've learned by coming here.

Thanks in advance!

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Alan,

I think they minis will stick out too much. A friend of mine has B&W Nautilus speakers (802, HTM1) across the front and is using 602s and a DCS6 for his rear. It isn't completely seemless but it still sounds pretty darn good. I'd go with the Studio 20s for surrounds with a pair of minis in the back.

If you listen to DVD-A or SACD at all, having the 20s for surrounds will be excellent.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks