What's new

Kong: Skull Island (2017) (1 Viewer)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Saw Kong in LIMAX 3D today (got free tickets!) ... have mixed feelings. On one hand, the Kong ape is very impressive, every scene he's in shines, the Kong SFX are very powerful.

On the other, the movie isn't a "movie" per se, its story is paper-thin. More a series of monster attack vignettes randomly strung together. The actors didn't need to bring any of their acting skills to their roles, they were hired for their mild name recognition to bring in patrons.

Overall, I was slightly entertained. 6/10

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
More Deadline bo analysis

Sizing Up ‘Kong: Skull Island’s $52M+ Opening

Friday 11:23PM: Here’s one piece of good news about Warner Bros./Legendary’s Kong: Skull Island : The movie is beating its tracking estimates with an estimated $52.5M opening, after logging $20M today. Four weeks ago, tracking for Kong: Skull Island was in the trash with a mid-$40M opening projection, and that would have been truly disastrous for this $185M monster epic.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/kong-skull-island-logan-weekend-box-office-get-out-1202040377/

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Too much going on with kids and prom this weekend, but next week is payday and I have plans for me and my son to go see this.

Judging from the comments here, I cant wait. A bunch of awesome monster attacks and John C. Reilly, what more does one need?

Its Kong. Theres a mysterious island, giant monsters are discovered, man has to survive, and they want to bring proof to the rest of the world conaequences be damned.

What else do you need? A pearl harboresque love triangle thrown in?
I dont go to Kaiju movies for great drama. Just give me enough plot to be coherent, some fun characters and lots of mayhem.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The monster mayhem was fun but I would have liked an engaging story, character development and better acting. But that's just me. :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
For box office comparison, Jacksons 2005 remake fared better on its opening weekend.

Domestic Summary (Adjusted)

Opening Weekend: $67,648,300
(#1 rank, 3,568 theaters, $19,000 average)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For box office comparison, Jacksons 2005 remake fared better on its opening weekend.

Well, that's not surprising considering Jackson's resume and the knowledge that King Kong subject matter was kind of dormant for about 40 years. The general public was ready for Jackson's version.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
True. Despite my issues with Kong Skull Island I hope it does great at the boxoffice. I love King Kong and want to see him in more films...which we will obviously.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

All the more impressive for the 2005 movie is that it was more than an hour longer so it must have had less screenings per day.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I caught the movie this morning and liked it. Some of the action is cool, there's lots of cool creepy monsters eating dudes, there's a fun sense of humor that stops things from getting too dour and I loved the cast. The negatives are that none of the characters ever came close to being more than a stereotype (Colonel Kurtz guy, young scared soldier, crazy guy, etc.) and if they weren't famous, I probably wouldn't be able to differentiate anyone outside of 3 or 4 of the main characters. They make it count when he's onscreen but Kong is in the movie so infrequently that it really should be called Skull Island Featuring Occasional Appearances From Kong.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I liked it.

I thought there was a decent balance between action/monsters and the human stuff. The humans characters aren't exactly deep, or well developed, but they worked on a basic level and were mostly likable.

John C. Riley's character was much better than I had anticipated based on the trailers, as he surprising turned out to be the heart of the film.

I'm looking forward to more of this new "Monsterverse". It seems as though they are setting things up for these characters to continue on in those films. Does anyone know if Godzila: King of Monsters is supposed to be set in the 70's as well? I guess it would have to be if these characters are featured.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Better than expected opening for Kong Skull Island.

From box office guru:

THIS WEEKEND Warner Bros. enjoyed a strong debut for its monster reboot Kong: Skull Islandwhich soared to an estimated $61M from 3,846 locations for a muscular $15,865 average. While not among the top ten March openings of all-time, the PG-13 film did drive in more business than expected and more importantly gave the studio and Legendary successful "reinventions" for both Godzilla and King Kong properties. The monster epic Godzilla vs Kong is slated for release in summer 2020 following a Godzilla sequel in 2019. The strategy is not unlike what Marvel has made with the cinematic universe for its well-known characters.

Skull Island played 56% male, according to studio data, while 65% were over 25. Reviews were generally good and audiences gave a decent B+ CinemaScore grade. Legs going forward should be average for this type of big-budget action tentpole. The production budget is estimated at $185M with aims of a global audience powering it to box office heights.

Kong roared overseas in its debut grossing a superb $81.6M for a global launch of $142.6M. Many markets opened bigger than Godzilla and leading the way were the U.K. with $7.6M and Korea with $7.3M. China and Japan will open the film two weeks from now. A final global box office close to the $529M of Godzilla is possible.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
More Deadline bo analysis

Sizing Up ‘Kong: Skull Island’s $52M+ Opening

Friday 11:23PM: Here’s one piece of good news about Warner Bros./Legendary’s Kong: Skull Island : The movie is beating its tracking estimates with an estimated $52.5M opening, after logging $20M today. Four weeks ago, tracking for Kong: Skull Island was in the trash with a mid-$40M opening projection, and that would have been truly disastrous for this $185M monster epic.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/kong-skull-island-logan-weekend-box-office-get-out-1202040377/

Box Office Mojo reporting Kong: Skull Island has over $61M Opening Weekend.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So Kong is going to fight Godzilla, but which one? Will this be the Godzilla from the recent American (I think) production. The one where he had to fight these other big monsters. Boy, that really married it down. ;) The 2014 version with Brian Cranston. Will it be that Godzilla?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Seems pretty obvious to me.

Anyway I really enjoyed tis today.

Saw in Imax 3D.
Could have done without the 3D.
Added depth but 3D was on essential.

Imax was essential if you want to see it on a truly large screen.

I didn't like the Crawlers. Just an odd monster for me.

Didn't like the Shoot first and try to murder everyting first attitude of nearly the entire crew.
The giant stick bug was neat as was the giant water buffalo.

Hated the Imax glasses the theater uses. Terrible glare from every light source in the theater on this version of the Imax glasses, horribly distracting.

Noticed "Muto" written on something during the opening credits.
The closing credits spoiled the after credits surprises. Should have played the after credit scene during the credits.

4 out of 5 stars.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So Kong is going to fight Godzilla, but which one? Will this be the Godzilla from the recent American (I think) production. The one where he had to fight these other big monsters. Boy, that really married it down. ;) The 2014 version with Brian Cranston. Will it be that Godzilla?
Yes

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hated the Imax glasses the theater uses. Terrible glare from every light source in the theater on this version of the Imax glasses, horribly distracting.

Tony, if you have a second, could you email that to the chief quality officer at IMAX at [email protected] ? They put up that address at the end of every movie to ask for comments. I had a similar glasses issue and wrote to them about it, and they said the feedback was important on those glasses because they're trying to identify an issue with why it's been a problem for some people at some screenings and not others, and the more they hear the better they can figure it out.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Absolutely

Was super distracting.

I took my glasses off and it still did it with the IMAX glassses only.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Tony, if you have a second, could you email that to the chief quality officer at IMAX at [email protected] ? They put up that address at the end of every movie to ask for comments. I had a similar glasses issue and wrote to them about it, and they said the feedback was important on those glasses because they're trying to identify an issue with why it's been a problem for some people at some screenings and not others, and the more they hear the better they can figure it out.

I need to do that too.

IMG_1661.JPG

The glasses I got were horrible. I had to go back and find others. These were all the glasses I took back to the theater to go through to find decent ones (plus the ones I rejected at the ticket taker). I finally ended up with kids glasses because they were new and still wrapped. They weren't the most comfortable. And there was still some glare, but it wasn't as bad. BTW, a friend I was with had to do the same.

I love most things about IMAX, but their glasses are not one of them.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It's been at least a month since I've been to the local Little Rock iMax and I didn't have this problem then. I hope we don't have this problem. They should have offered a refund, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks