What's new

Kong: Skull Island (2017) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There was some dumb stuff and some bad lines of dialogue here and there, but I found it to be an enjoyable movie. I thought the cast did well with what they were given and the monster fights were fun. Overall I thought it was better than last years Jurassic World.
Been a while since I saw JW. I'll need to see them both on blu ray before I can agree with your statement. For both movies, I walked out of the theater thinking I had more than gotten my money's worth. I'm a sucker for dinosaurs and Kong, so it'll be a touch choice.

It was nice to see Kong service for once. Kong was made out to be a good guy in this flick and in the last American Godzilla, he was a good guy too. If these two guys go a mano a mano, who's the bad guy?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought Jurassic World was better than Kong Skull Island in every way.

Action, effects, story, performances etc..

I'll buy the blu when it comes out in a few months. Hope I enjoy it more then.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I thought Jurassic World was better than Kong Skull Island in every way.

Action, effects, story, performances etc..

I'll buy the blu when it comes out in a few months. Hope I enjoy it more then.

Oh god, I couldn't sit through Jurassic World again, a truly nasty kid, bone headed adults, beyond stupid plot points - if the big nasty dino had a tracking device implanted, why didn't they just phone HQ & determine his exact location before going into his compound & opening the gate? Really stupid...& 'raptors, always bloody 'raptors. Saying all that, I haven't seen the new Kong (I've really gotten out of the habit of going to the cinema), but I'm looking forward to the Blu-ray

Last edited:

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Been a while since I saw JW. I'll need to see them both on blu ray before I can agree with your statement. For both movies, I walked out of the theater thinking I had more than gotten my money's worth. I'm a sucker for dinosaurs and Kong, so it'll be a touch choice.

It was nice to see Kong service for once. Kong was made out to be a good guy in this flick and in the last American Godzilla, he was a good guy too. If these two guys go a mano a mano, who's the bad guy?

We are.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Oh god, I couldn't sit through Jurassic World again, a truly nasty kid, bone headed adults, beyond stupid plot points - if the big nasty dino had a tracking device implanted, why didn't they just phone HQ & determine his exact location before going into his compound & opening the gate? Really stupid...& 'raptors, always bloody 'raptors. Saying all that, I haven't seen the new Kong (I've really gotten out of the habit of going to the cinema), but I'm looking forward to the Blu-ray
I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if the older kid in this movie is your idea of a truly nasty kid, than most teenage boys are truly nasty kids. I'd also point out he matured in the movie and became the protector of his little brother. I thought he was a pretty good kid.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if the older kid in this movie is your idea of a truly nasty kid, than most teenage boys are truly nasty kids. I'd also point out he matured in the movie and became the protector of his little brother. I thought he was a pretty good kid.

Ha, I've obviously known far nicer teenagers than you. Anyway, looking forward to Kong, June or July I'd think.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Ha, I've obviously known far nicer teenagers than you. Anyway, looking forward to Kong, June or July I'd think.
I wasn't the biggest fan of this film BUT I recommend definitely seeing it on the BIG screen rather than at home. It's that kind of a film. It will lose most if it's visual impact at home.

Just a suggestion (which I pretty much make for every film of this type).

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I wasn't the biggest fan of this film BUT I recommend definitely seeing it on the BIG screen rather than at home. It's that kind of a film. It will lose most if it's visual impact at home.

Just a suggestion (which I pretty much make for every film of this type).
I agree. When Kong roars, he does get your attention.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Agree. The older brother was more interested in flirting with girls than palling around with his brother, which makes him... a teenage boy.

Don't forget that the kids are under emotional stress pre-trip, as they know their parents are on the verge of splitting, so even if the older bro WAS nasty - which he's not - there'd be a rationale behind that.

Nothing "nasty" about the older bro...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's a reference to Janet Jacksons song "Nasty".

If I have to continue explaining things to you Johnny, I'm gonna have to start charging you. :D

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It's a reference to Janet Jacksons song "Nasty".

If I have to continue explaining things to you Johnny, I'm gonna have to start charging you. :D
I have reached the age where I am no longer a "with it guy." I'm just not with it any more and some will say I never ways. Put it on my tab Tino. ;) I'll settle up when I leave.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
prophet.gif

You whippersnappers leave us old guys alone!

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Im a lot later to this party than I had planned, but soooo worth the wait. This is how you do a Kong movie.

Sure the setup of the stock characters was a little clunky, and the period songs a little too obvious, but it didnt take too long. And then 5 minutes on the island and boom! One hell of a welcome from Kong.

The rest of the movie flowed nicely, didnt feel like two hours at all. The creatures and encounters were awesome.

No needless melodrama, or moralizing. The characters may not have been too deep, but there was great chemistry.

I had a grin on my face the whole movie. From hearing John C. Reillys scream opening the film, Goodmans and Richard Jenkins meeting, through to the end. (Especially during the boneyard scene.)

This was pure monster mayhem with a wonderfully humorous undercurrent. Popcorn film making at its finest.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
And speaking of old whippersnappers, im 47, and the ticket agent, who looked about 15, gave me the senior discount. The sign said seniors are 62 and older. I know I have a lot of gray hair already, but come on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks