What's new

"Knight Rider" season 2 -- Packaging? (1 Viewer)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Anyone know what the "construction" of the packaging is going to be for "Knight Rider" season 2?

The set will be 3-discs (unlike the 4-discs for season 1).

However...here is my concern...

I absolutely hate, hate, hate, hate the packaging for the new 3-disc "Miami Vice" set. I hate those little "clasp" things that the DVDs don't want to seem to come off of.

Why? Because disc 2 of the Vice set now has little cracks in it. I hated those holders on the "Battlestar Galactica" set in 2003. Hasn't anyone complained? They are like the devil's way to attached DVDs!

I very much want to collect all seasons of "Knight Rider," but if Universal uses the "Vice"-style packaging, I may be forced to reconsider.

[Note, the disc holders on the first season of "Knight Rider" are fine)

Why can't they go to those little "slimline" cases like "Seinfeld"...

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
What - you've got to be kidding right? Youre going to pass up a series because of the freakin BOX?!? Dont like the packaging? Fine - stop by Best Buy on the way home from work and buy some dvd cases and put the discs in 'em.

See - simple solution. Youre welcome.

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
I figured that the most logical thing to do is to use the same packaging as season one. So there's one fewer discs. So what, they can just remove one of the sections. Its not like a 3-disc digipak is a rare thing. It'll end up being slightly thinner than the season one box. Works for me, it saves that tiny bit of shelf space.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I believe the original poster is referring only to the actual hubs of the packaging, not the overall DigiPak concept. I, too, despise those particular hubs that are almost impossible to remove DVDs from.

The clear plastic disc "trays" that are used in the DigiPak cases are obviously manufactured by different companies, resulting in the differing hub designs.

My "Wonder Woman" S2 arrived with the dreaded hubs included as a "bonus" feature. I've never had such difficulty removing four DVDs from their case. As usual, a little sand-paper rubbing of the hubs loosens their deadly grip.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
As for the Knight Rider Season 2 packaging I read somewhere (at knightrideronline.com I believe) that season 2 will come in the slim cases seen in Tru Calling, Greatest American Hero and Macgyver sets.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Interesting topic. I'm trying to see if I have any TV/DVD's in my collection with these "hub" holders. I have the Battlestar Galatica set (original TV series with the silver case) but I don't see anything different in these holders. They look like the standard "center-push-to-release" types to me but I'm not familiar with these "hub" types, I guess. Could you name some other sets that have these holder types? I don't have the Knight Rider sets.
Regarding DVD holders in general: I guess it's sort of a "Catch 22" issue since, speaking for myself, nothing's more annoying than having to return for exchange a DVD set because of damage in shipment due to the DVD's coming loose from their holders. I've had to return a couple of sets due to this occuring. I prefer the "slim-case" packaging where each DVD is contained in its own case. I'd guess that most prefer this type?

MattHR

Screenwriter

The nasty hubs we're talking about are used by almost every studio, on a seemingly random basis. I have all sets of "Sopranos", "Friends", "Simpsons", "Cheers" and "Frasier" (for example) and all are in DigiPaks. The hub design for each series' is not consistent from one set to the next, but each series has at least two seasons containing the nasty hubs.

So while my copy of show "A" may have the nasty hubs, yours may not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks