What's new

Klipsch Synergy vs Athena Audition (1 Viewer)

Raul A

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a 5.1 JBL setup consisting of the JBL S Center I, 4 JBL S36 II's, and a 10" JBL PB10. I love it - no complaints.

But now I have a wonderful oppurtunity. I can get my hands on either the Klipsch Synergy series speakers or the Athena Audition series speakers for half their retail price!

That of course narrows my upgrade options down to JUST these two brands and series'. Not that I'm complaining.

In any event, I'm looking at one of two packages.

Either the Klipsch Synergy SC-1 center, 2 SF-2 fronts, 2 SS-1 surrounds, and the KSW-12 subwoofer. Or...

The Athena Audition AS-C1 center, 2 AS-F2 fronts, 2 AS-B2 surrounds, and the AS-P400 10" subwoofer.

With either one I can eventually also get an additional set of bookshelves for rear 6.1 or 7.1 channels.

So, my questions... What do you guys think of these two series' of speakers? Why would you recommend one over the other? How much of an upgrade from the JBLs is this, if any?

I don't know what further info you might need, but I'm using a Yamaha HTR-5560 6.1 receiver and mostly watch movies, though occasional game playing goes on.

Thanks in advance.

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I can only speak for the Athena's, of which I have the B2's for mains, C1 center, 3 B1's for surrounds and a D Box subwoofer. The Athena's have received very good reviews. See the website, http://www.athenaspeakers.com/ for reviews. For the price, they are excellent. They are well built and sound great, whether you like movies or music.
Hope this helps.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I checked out both the Athenas & the Klipsch's at Best Buy and I liked the Athenas quite a bit more: sparkling but not overbearing highs; good, rich bass (especially the dual 8" woofer model); built well; and look nice too.

The Klipsch's had that same "new" sound I don't like: highs are sort of muffled sounding & midrange has a blaring quality--no thanks. That old Klipsch sound I liked so much is gone now, last seen in their KLF series :frowning:. They have tamed the traditonal "horn sound" way too much IMO.

LJ

Depending on what you want to invest I would take a listen to The Klipsch reference line. The synergy is Klipsch's entry level line of HT speakers. BB does not carry the reference line

Raul,

I just realized you live in the Bay Area. Go to a local GoodGuys store and take a listen to the reference line. You will be doing yourself justice.

Scooter

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I agree,
as an owner of the reference series 3-II klipsch speakers I must say there is a night and day difference between the synergy line and the reference lines of klipsch speakers. you should look into at least listening to the reference series klipsch speakers.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Raul,

I think, an this is only my opinion, that the synergy series wont be a big difference over the studio series of JBL.

The JBL S36 is a great speaker, very good mid and highs, the only thing that it lacks is low end, but for that you have your sub. I think the biggest improvement you could make to your setup up is upgrade your sub.

I have four S26, an S center, and an SVS 25-31PCi, and my friends and I dont seem to end our amazement on the SVS sound, is what gives live to my entire setup. But this is only my opinion.

Franklin

Agent
i personally have a pair of klipsch SB2 mains, an SC-1 center and a KSW-12 sub, and im perfectly happy with them. i'm absolutely sure that the reference line is much better than the synergy series as much as they should since they generally retail for twice the amount. it sounds to me that if you're happy with your JBL setup, why would you want to change it?

dean_g

Agent
It's not always a good idea to make general comments about the sound of speakers without knowing things like room size, listening habits, and the associated equipment.

You need to be thinking about price points somewhat. Within any given price point there are compromises that all manufacturers are bound by. Construction quality, driver quality, crossover components, etc. Staying within the same price point isn't always so much an 'upgrade' as it is a lateral shift to something that sounds a little different, yet with no substantial increase in performance -- at least not any that warrant the additional spending.

I will say that the Klipsch Synergy speakers are high value products, and though not the level of performance as the Reference and Heritage lines -- do give you the benefit of higher sensitivity ratings that allow you to reach higher sound pressure levels without having to upgrade your receiver (power).

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
raul, do you work at best buy? im assuming thats the going rate of the speakers for employees? are they selling to you guys at cost? sounds like an awesome deal, i think im gonna have to work at best buy ;)

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
It's great that others are pointing you to an audition of the Ref line, but as you stated you only have the choice between the 2 brands speaker lines.
Do go listen as you will "definitly" hear the difference between the 2 lines.

The only thing I would also consider is what Dean pointed out. How loud the speaks will play given 1w/1m. Something you may want to pay attention to if loud is important. The Yammi receiver you have is not a major power house by any means.

The Athenas are not hard to drive and of the 2 limited choices you have, I'd be more prone to them given your equipment. This from a shear sound stand point and not from any other.

You really do need to listen and make the call on your own. IS IT (truely an upgrade in sound quaility) or a side to side move.
If you only have those 2 choices, spend allot of time listening to them both and perferably on your model receiver if at possibly. Do remember when you bring them home they are going to sound different, better, worse, only you can absoulty say.

It's good that you can return if you don't like them once home, but I hate draging stuff back to a store.

IMO, the Athenas would come home with me given your strict choices. Also IMO they AS-F2 & AS-F1 both sound better than the JBL-S36 II's. Not that the JBL's are bad, they certainly are not, just prefer the Athena sound to the JBL.

Even if it is a side to side move, but you like them better, your JBL's will bring good money up for auction. Recoping much of your expence and you now have a new system of speaks, just another way to look at it. I do not think it's side to side move, I belive it is a upgrade with the Athenas your looking at.....JMO ;)

Good luck
Geoff

Raul A

Stunt Coordinator
I've decided to go with the Athenas because of their price point. I can get the AS-C1, 2 AS-F2s, 4 AS-B1 bookshelves, and an 8" AS-P300 subwoofer with service plans on all of them for $700. So I'm there. :)

Later down the line when I can afford it I will get 2 Energy Connoisseur C-R3s for $300 each. Then if I don't like them in di-pole mode I can switch them to bi-pole mode or vice versa.

In any event, your feedback and that of those at AVF have been a big help.

Thanks! :)

Scott Besancon : I am limited to just those two brands or I would take a look. But at Good Guys I can't get the low price point. :)

Franklin : I love the JBLs but in comparison to the Athenas they sound horrible! :) The Athenas just sound amazing, I'm quite excited.

Myo K : As a matter of fact. :) There are definitely benefits.

Geoff L. : I plan on replacing my Yamaha in the next few weeks. With what, I'm not quite sure. I am getting a 7.1 and am just doing research to figure out which ones have the best combination of features for the price.

I will be auctioning off the JBLs in one set to pay for the Athenas, and at the price, I should have plenty of cash left over to go towards the new receiver. So for me this is a free upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks