What's new

Klipsch Speakers...Who has an opinion? (1 Viewer)

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Manuel---Agreed, I think many people are used to the compressed, congested sound of direct-radiators, they sound "smooth". When they hear the clarity and dynamics of a horn it doesn't sound the way "hi-fi" is supposed to sound and they're taken aback. Though personally I think some Klipsches, like LaScalas, are a little fierce sounding. I put this down to the narrow directivity of the midrange horn, when I replaced the mid horns on the LaScalas I once owned with wider dispersion EV horns the sound on-axis improved (to me). Horn directivity has a great effect on the sound, I have some 130 degree pattern horn-lenses that make my VOTs sound like Magneplanars, HUGE diffuse image (which I don't like). Also many older Klipsches, those that used the Atlas mid driver, suffered from a resonant flare at 9khz, a DIYer has designed a filter for this flare called a P Trap. Not all the Atlas mids suffered from this flare though.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I guess I'll join the Klipsch party. I have RF3II mains along with a KLFC7 center(couldn't pass it up at $239). I have KSF 8.5's for the side surrounds and a pair of quintets for the rear centers. The only non Klipsch speakers I have are my pair of SVS 25-31's :) which round out my setup nicely. I am powering all of this with an Onkyo TXDS 797 and Parasound HC855A 5 channel amp. The 797 powers the side surrounds and the woofers in the RF3II's while the Parasound powers the tweeters in the RF3II's, the center channel and the 2 quintets. I am VERY pleased with the sound. The horns in the Klipsch speakers are great for movies and really bring out the details in live recordings. Definetly not too bright for me. Highly recommend Klipsch:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I have to second my own opinion as I finally got mine set-up last night and the sound is truly amazing. I love the horns for music and HT.

My set-up is KLF-30's for mains, KLF-10's for surrounds, and a C-7 for center. I'm also using a small pair of KLH monitors on the back wall for 7.1 I will have a dual Tempest sonosub completed by the end of the month and will probably NEVER go to a theater again.

The Legends play VERY loud and clean, just what I like.

Happy listening...Mike

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
I also am a big fan of klipsch and the "sound." I have owned several pairs and have been very happy with them. I think a lot of people who haven't liked them were running them with less than ideal components. Klipsch are extremely efficient and thus very revealing. I thought the sound was good when I was running them with Denon, but when I made the switch to HK, the difference was amazing! They must be auditioned with the proper gear.

Second, I have listened to a lot of speakers in the last few years and I have never heard anything that sounded as much like live music. That is an important quality to many people.

Last, the reference make liking klipsch to bose is just ridiculous and completly without merit. the newer speakers don't sound like the heritage? well, maybe that's what a thousand dollar difference does. Yes, klipsch has made a lot of new products in the last few years, why not? I would if i could do it and do it well. The promedias are of the best in the industry, and the synergy and quintet lines offer people an introductory level product. There is nothing wrong with that. Klipsch is not an elitist company and never will be. I find that admirable in todays audio market. Bose lies, decieves and charges outrageous prices for an inferior product, klipsch doesn't, end of story.

DavidVTHokie

Stunt Coordinator
I love my klipsch. I've had them about a year. I compared them against definitivetechnology and M&K.

I thought the klipsh fell in the middle of those three, and the system I put together was quite a bit cheaper than the M&K system, which I also liked.

I have the RF-3/RC3 for the front wall. I picked up the RSW-12 sub.

I stepped down a notch to the sf-1's for the rear. I wanted floorstanding speakers, because I just to have the wallspace for klipsch's trapazoid speakers. I had so save the bottom line somewhere, so I picked the rears.

-Dave

MarkHughes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hughes
OK got my Klipsch RF-3 II speakers today and I am the happiest man alive (well, I will be tomorrow afternoon when my neighbors won't complain about the volume) I hooked them up and did some demos, and I am delirious with joy regarding this purchase. So, an upgrade on my center and my rears is now in order and it won't be long before I do it. So in the immortal wisdom of Homer Simpson; "mmmmmmmmmmmm Kllliiiiiiiipsch" :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Peace, Love, and Homer Simpson to Y'all!!!
--M

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
the klipschs are good speakers but for me i dont like the horn loaded tweeters it gives you a tonnel effect try it talk though a tube and it sounds like you are in a tunnel bin laden would like them

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Joe,

The "tunnel effect" will NOT be present in well designed Horn speakers, the design of the Horn will either produce the effect or cancel it.

When you put your hands around your mouth (an example that some "horn haters" use) you can hear that if you change the shape of "the horn" you will provoque different effects.

The ideal effect of a Horn is to Amplify (so the driver can play the sound with less stress) and Direct the sound (to avoid earlier reflections from the room).

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
the klipschs are good speakers but for me i dont like the horn loaded tweeters it gives you a tonnel effect try it talk though a tube and it sounds like you are in a tunnel
:laugh: :rolleyes
Klipsch speakers definitely do NOT sound like sound in a tunnel!!!
Eric.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Manuel---I always laugh at the goons who use the cupped hands analogy to put down horns. Obviously they're too technically ignorant to know that a horn must get larger as the frequecies to be reproduced go lower. Thus the cupped hand horn is unable to reproduce the entire range of the human voice and only amplifies part of the vocal range, thus the coloration. Same effect as turning up an EQ from 1200hz on up.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
That's right Tom.

That's why a Horn Subwoofer will require to be almost as big as the entire house to produce the low frequencies...

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
That was Paul Klipsch's greatest gift to the audio world, was the Klipschorn. I was never a big fan of the midrange drivers used in the Klipschorns, but the folded corner horn is excellent. By using the room corners as extensions of the horn mouth, you could now have a bass horn in a managable package. You are essentially sitting in the mouth of the horn! Good horn loading to 25Hz or so, depending on driver.

Robert Elrod

Agent
Just listening to my new set of RP3s from Ubid. What an incredible deal!!! These speakers sound great! I would have never thought I would own $1500 speakers, especially since I got them for $450 ;)
Robert

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I chose not to go with Klipsch system after auditioning them at my friends house a few times (Watched about 4 movies, listened to music for about 3 hours)

System has been broken in and is only a month old:

Front - SF-2 Synergy Series Floor

Center - SC-1

Surround - SCW-2 inwall surrounds

Subwoofer - KSW-12

Monster cables interconnects

12 gauge copper speaker wire

Yamaha HTR-5460 (100watts x 5 receiver)

Sony DVP-NS300/B (DVD player used)

Room approx 25x30 feet vaulted ceiling

We connected the SF-2 towers to the KSW-12 since Klipsch recommended it.

Upon listening to Star Wars EP1 sound track I noticed how bright the system sounds. It's highs would make me squint my eyes due the harshness. A little adjustment might have helped but I didn't touch any settings since (it's not mine).

The audio was not smooth like some other speakers I've listened to such as the JBL S38s. The vocals sounded marginally bright and raspy.

Upon popping in a test CD for bass tests I noticed the sub would produce a boomy mess when trying to produce deep throaty bass. The crossover didn't seem to work well and the bass wasn't really tight and authoritive at different levels. When we played around and changed the phase on the sub to 180 it became very annoyingly boomy and the tones were horrible. For the money I think there are better choices out there with better materials. I describe the KSW-12 as undetailed and boomy.

On a good note, the sub can produce loud and room shaking bass when fed the right hz. Some music such as Beastie Boys "brass monkey" could really shake the room.

I suppose if you develop a taste for the Klipsch Synergy series you might like them a lot. The speakers sounded fine when playing DVDs, I just thought they lacked the warmth and smoothness other speakers provide while playing music.

I just thought I'd share my opinion since it appears people only posted positive comments.

Norman Short

Stunt Coordinator
Although I'm a Klipsch fan I'm not such a fan of the Synergy series. I saw a significant performance jump when I listened to the Reference series, but even the Reference series stuff I've heard (haven't heard the RF-7, RC-7, RS-7 series) wasn't as nice as my vintage La Scalas. To my ears at least, the Heritage line remains their best stuff.

The KSW series of subs is notoriously boomy. I know, because I bought the KSW-15. It will shake the walls and stuff, but I've already ordered an SVS sub to replace it.

Nothing wrong with choosing any brand you like, or not choosing Klipsch. But I would say that the Synergy line isn't putting their best foot forward for a first impression.

Doug Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Taking the liberty of quoting Chris Tsutsui:

"I suppose if you develop a taste for the Klipsch Synergy series you might like them a lot. The speakers sounded fine when playing DVDs, I just thought they lacked the warmth and smoothness other speakers provide while playing music."

I think this perfectly illustrates what a subjective thing "good sound" is. I know we all support each other's rights to like what we like, and I'm certainly not taking issue with Chris' position, nor was he taking issue either.

The beauty of having so many speakers to choose from is that everyone's tastes can be accomodated. I must say that I would never steer someone to Klipsch when they tell me they like "warmth and smoothness." Unless, of course, they hadn't ever heard anything different.

I don't know if it's an acquired taste, or one you're born with, but from the "git go" I liked the sound of Klipsch when I auditioned a pair of KG4s in 1985. Now, to me, what most people would describe as warm and smooth sounds to me like a pile of blankets are on the speaker. "Let the sound out, already!!" But, that's just me...

I listened to a pair of $40,000 Krell speakers last night. They had very nice imaging, and I could locate each instrument in the band. Yet, they had that "warm" sound, which to me took some of the life out of the performance. I felt as if I was listening to speakers, rather than voices and instruments. And I guess that's why I like the Klipsch sound.

I posted this only because I'm not sure you can post positive or negative comments about the type of sound speakers create (unless it is outright distorted). I think we can only post comments -- the positive or negative is totally up to the listener.

Forgive my ramblings -- philosophical Wednesday afternoon mood...

Doug

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Chris

I feel Doug have really good points.

"I must say that I would never steer someone to Klipsch when they tell me they like "warmth and smoothness." Unless, of course, they hadn't ever heard anything different."

Can´t agree more. I have found that somepeople, when first exposed to Horns, say: -wow, now this is really like life music!- but then again, others like Chris will say that it doesn't sound "good" because is "to bright".

"Yet, they had that "warm" sound, which to me took some of the life out of the performance. I felt as if I was listening to speakers, rather than voices and instruments. And I guess that's why I like the Klipsch sound."

Again, can't agree more ;-) I feel exactly the same, I can't return to "normal speakers", their sound "muddy" to me, there is no life, the sound is much less dynamic.

But then again, this is a confirmation about the ultimate subjectiveness of what is a good sounding system.

Dave Crigna

Stunt Coordinator
I also give klipsch :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: , Sorry to say I do not own them any more. They are great to rock out and are super effecient. Can even power them with a bose lifestyle ( j/k D:) I would never degrade such fine speakers. I like others are sad to see the klf line go. I think they were one klipsch's best.

Adam Krogul

Stunt Coordinator
i give the klipsh a :emoji_thumbsup: also. i have the 5.1 pro media for the computer and just love them. Im also a big fan of the home speakers b/c of the effiency of that infamous horn tweeter. although im not a big fan of the subs that are in the side of the tower. IMO i would stay away from the all in one speaker and get the sub seperate. but the klipsh is a great speaker.
l8rz,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks