What's new

Klipsch Speakers...Who has an opinion? (1 Viewer)

Mark_CP

Auditioning
All,
Well, thanks alot for all your input. I got a great deal on them and since I have heard them before and liked them, I decided to grab a pair for about $800. I was previously looking at the BA SYS9500 (I currently use the BA SYS9000 with dipole rears and think I got a great performance for the $!) but who could refuse that deal?
They are going in my currently being built HT in my basement. I am doing all the work myself and cant wait till its done! Soon I will probably post some pictures.... Those speakers will have a nice home in thier new 20'x25' home! I am kinda new to all this but this is a long time dream of mine. (Im sure you all know exactly what I mean.
I will be putting in a 50-55" Tosh Widescreen as well. I will round out the mains with Klipsh's matching center and surrounds. But I have yet to decide on a reciever/amp. I am lookin in the $6-800 range and if anyone has any suggestions I am your eager student waitng to hear what you have to say! I am definately interested in 6.1/7.1 capability because I have prewired my basement for it...(Any thoughts on the lower end SOny ES that runs for around $1000?) Again, thanks alot for your input, talk to you all again soon! ;) :D

Scott Rei

Auditioning
Count me in as another Klipsch fan. I started off with the Promedia's for my computer and loved them, so when I finally upgraded my home theater setup, I didn't hesitate to go Klipsch. I ended up with Klipsch Reference RF-5's for the mains, RC3-II for center, and RB5-II for my rears. I freaking love them to death. Now I am just waiting for my SVS 20-39CS+ to arrive from the Group Buy over at HomeTheaterSpot.

I am driving the Klipsch's with a Yamaha RX-V800.

I have a full Legend setup for my HT with KLF30's as mains. They, like all the klipsch speaks, have that horn sound in the upper freqencies.
I have many visitors in my HT to listen to my system, and the sound is definately a taste difference per person. IF I have some music going some folks really don't care for the sound, while others very much enjoy it... however most every one really likes the klipsch when i put a movie on, as the brighter sound is more like real theater speakers.
If the sound does get a bit too edgy for you, a few things you might consider:
Damp the horns with some 'rope caulk' you can get from a home improvment store. Some of that sharpness in the highs can be attributed to resonation of the plastic horn itself. Dampening it can have quite a dramatic effect depending on your listening tastes.
Also I like to run Tube amps (some monoblock DIY's from Bottlehead.com) which, due to the nature of tubes, really round out and sweeten that top end, especially for music. Might be something to try if have an interest in tubes (which work well with klipsch anyways due to the high senstivity!)
Peoples tastes are different, but what really matters is if you like it, so get off the computer and go watch a movie! :)

Sebastien David

Second Unit
The very fact that the official Klipsch bulletin board is as lively as it is is a testament to the faithful following this brand of speakers is subject to. I personally don't like bright speakers, but Klipsch has just the right amount of slam without being too bright, when hooked up to good gear.

As far as receivers go, a very widely acclaimed combination with Klipsch is Denon. With their relatively smooth sound, these receivers are a match made in heavens with Klipsch! Actually, over here in Montréal, the Klipsch and Denon rep for my store are the same person. Must mean something...

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
The stuff Klipsch makes now is far inferior to the products they used to make--The Khorn, LaScala, Belle and Cornwall. They're kinda the Bose of the horn world now.

Jon Sotelo

Auditioning
I'm not a real big fan of Klipsch. This is my own personal preference but while they get loud and stay clear they just don't sound "right" to me. The horn makes me feel like I am listening to a PA system.

I can and do see why people like them thou, I just don't prefer them.

Mark,

I'd be a bit careful matching a Sony ES receiver with any Klipsch speaker... personally, I'd go for Marantz as a first choice, and Denon as a second choice. They’re both more on the warm side; especially the Marantz.

Just to set the stage for my comments, I'm the current owner of a Sony 444ES receiver, and Klipsch Forte speakers... so I speak from personal experience... though my opinion is just that - MY opinion.

I found the Klipsch Forte's wonderfully dynamic and "life like" in the sense of the micro and macro dynamics. They just sound "real" (as opposed to reproduced audio) in terms of their speed and dynamics.

However, having said that, I also own a set of KEF Q-series speakers because I found myself suffering from listener fatigue after several hours of use. The highs are just too bright for my long-term satisfaction. At the time I wasn't even using the Sony's internal amps, which I find to be a bit too bright. I'm using a Citation 22 amp for my main channels, and a Harman-Kardon Signature 2.1 for the center and surrounds.

Although the KEF's sound more refined, and are wonderful at making almost any recording musical, they're just too laid-back for my long-term satisfaction. They're not dynamic enough and they don't "grab me"...

I'm now looking for something in between these two extremes!

Don't get me wrong... I think that Klipsch makes a great line of speakers. Especially their Classic line, such as the Forte's. It's just that I only have room for one dedicated audio/video room, and I need my 2-channel stereo speakers to also be my front mains for a home theater... the Klipsch absolutely rock in a home theater. They have volume, speed, and dynamics up the kazoo.

Just be careful with the amp you pair them with.

Good luck.

Todd_TC

Auditioning
I've got the the Klipsch Quintets with an SVS 25-31. I like the sound of the Quintets, although the built-in stands can be difficult (they don't always "hold" their setting). If the Quintets were built as solidly as the SVS, I'd be thrilled.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
John Mannix---Build a DIY Altec horn system or buy vintage Altec A7s, A7-500s, Iconics, Valencias, Malibus, Model 19s, 6o4s, 605s etc. You'll have all the dynamics, "speed", output and low distortion of your Klipsches but with a much smoother midrange and high-end.

Rich Whalen

Auditioning
I really enjoy my all Klipsch setup for hometheater and audio. I have the KG 5.5s for mains, a KLF-C7 for a center, and KSF-S5 surrounds. I think nothing beats a dynamic speaker like Klipsch when it comes to hometheater. They also go great with rock music - especially if you like it loud.
My cousin is into jazz and has a pretty nice audio setup - Theil 3.6s and a nice little Krell amp. But when he wants to jam to some of his rock albums, he uses his Denon powering some KG 3.5s. :)

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Tom B, I can understand your comments, but the bose thing is just wrong. Klipsch RF3's, may not be up to your altec's, but I mean come on. Think realistic here, Not everyone has a way of getting 1978 cornwalls.

Damon W

Grip
Mains - Klipsch Chorus IIs (oak)

Center - Klipsch Academy (black)

Rear - Klipsch 5.2s (oak)

I love the sound of mine (paired with a Denon), all other speakers that I listen to now sound "muddy".

I'm kind of bummed that they quit using real wood on the newer models and I also don't think their newer line can keep up with my Chorus IIs...but I still prefer their reference line to most others on the market.

Norman Short

Stunt Coordinator
Tom B: Do you know where I could look into the Altec DIY projects you mentioned? I don't know if they would mix well at all with my Klipsch but I'd be willing to listen to something "like" the Klipsch but a warmer midrange/treble. Any idea what price range those old Altecs are going for?

Norman Short

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Matthew---My comparison with Bose was not to imply that the current Klipsch speakers are bad but that the company has changed direction. The company now chooses to make products that while good are not as good as those made in the past. And they intend to sell them in very large numbers. The speakers have been made smaller, sacrificing performance in order to gain a larger market. They've done away with midrange horns and now reproduce the mids from cones, this to save size and cost. So in the sense that they've sacrificed performance in order to make more saleable speakers they're like Bose.

RM Haney

Grip
I am relatively new to the Klipsch family but couldn't be happier. My neighbor has the RP-5's and after hearing those I dumped my reference series Infinity's and jumped into a set of Klipsch RB-5's. Big improvement IMHO. I am hearing things I never heard before on DVD's. I also upgraded from a B&W cc6 center to a Klipsch RC3-II center and my system came alive. The clarity of the Klipsch speakers in very good and I tend to lean towards the brighter speakers at normal volumes. I also have a Klipsch KSW-15. It does a good job for a $500 sub but I have a big family room (24'x14'x10') that is open to the kitchen on one end and open to my living room (20'x13'x18' ceiling) on the other end and it is sort of a lost puppy. I need to either add another (where???) or upgrade to something with more output. My $.02.

Mike

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I had the orignal RF-3, RC-3, and RS-3 setup, but found them, while accurate, too fatiguing over the long haul. Currently have the PSB Goldi, C6i, and Energy Veritas surrounds and find them perfect for long listening periods, either HT or music. Gotta love the Klipsch efficiency, though (98 db).

Ned Vogler

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in as another satisfied long-time Klipsch customer. I first heard about Klipsch back in the 80's when I was DJ'ing at various clubs near me. One of the clubs was at a local bar on a college campus, and they had their own built-in sound system and speakers. The had these wild-looking true horn-style Klipsch speakers that looked something like the La Scalas but with that black "commercial" look. Well, those things absolutely cranked and the owner of the bar said that they almost had no limit to the amount of power they could handle. Needless to say, that is when I started to be a fan of Klipsch products.
I had a set of KG 3.2s a number of years ago, and sold them and bought a pair of KSF 10.5 mains back in 1997 or 1998. Mated the 10.5s with a KSF-C5 center and matching KSF-S5 surrounds for the full "timbre-matched" sound. I ran a KSW-200 subwoofer for quite some time before replacing it with a Velodyne CT-150 and then a custom SVS 16-46PC. Anyways, I still have my Synergy Klipsch installed and they sound fantastic IMO. They are comparable to the Reference series available today and are definitely a step up from today's Synergy series (again IMO). I have auditioned the new Reference series and I very much enjoyed the sound. The new titanium tweeters and the aluminum cones on the woofers do seem to make a difference. If I had and extra $1500 to replace my entire speaker setup, I would definitely buy the Reference series speakers, but since I don't, I'll stick with the perfectly adequate Klipsch setup I already have. :D
It also looks like Klipsch is really packing some power into their new subwoofers as well. Their midrange RSW-12 subwoofer packs a 2400-watt amplifier (!!!) into quite a small package. I haven't listened to these subs, but their specs alone are impressive.
I do still love my SVS tube though, and wouldn't change it! ;)

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
I have a few comments on the subject about "lovers and haters" of the so called "klipsch sound". IMO only Horn Speakers can deal with the micro and macrodynamics of live sound. Any other speaker technology will "compress" the sound, so it will sound "muddy" compared to the real thing.

I have a theory, when somebody is exposed to normal drivers he/she get used to this "muddy" sound. So when he/she hears for the first time to Horn speakers chances are that he/she will tend to think that they sound "harsh".

But clearly for others, like me, there is no other way to achieve lifelike dynamics.

MarkHughes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hughes
I have been saying for about 8 months now, "The next major purchase I am going to make is a new set of speakers". Well, I did just that. About a week ago, I fell into a great price for a pair of RF-3II so I called my good friend Ned (you all know Ned) and he was heading to a local retailer and said he would demo them for me on a Yamaha receiver since that's what I own. He wasn't out of the store more than 5 minutes before he called to say, "I have just 3 words for ya... BUY THOSE SPEAKERS!!!". I went with him the next night to hear them demo myself and was greatly impressed. But there was a wrinkle in what seemed to be an easy decision, they had some backstocked RP-3 speakers as well that they were willing to let go for just $700.00/pr (MSRP 1500.00) hmmmmmm... I had to think this one through, but not for long. I couldn't believe the sound of the RF-3II's and I have a dedicated KSW-15 so it was decided that the fuller midrange of the RF-3IIs would be better for me than the heavy bass that I would receive with the RP-3 and the KSW-15 combined.
My new RF-3II's should be here by the end of the week. I will be sure to let you know how they are (if you can tear me away from the soundfield)
Peace, Love, and Homer Simpson to y'all...
--M

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks