What's new

Klipsch Speakers...Who has an opinion? (1 Viewer)

Mark_CP

Auditioning
I got a deal on some Klipsch RP-5's. I have heard from many that these are good speakers. I even listened to them once at a frind of a friends. I seemed impressed at the time. Are they all they are cracked up to be? Thanks for your input? PS I am planning on using these for my front mains as well as covering for my sub since they both have the powered 12'' built in both!

Ken Custodio

Second Unit
I haven't heard that particular model before but the Klipsch in general are good speakers. The horn seems to make them very bright sounding. I've heard some people on this board say they sound too bright if you have an Onkyo receiver (which sounds bright also).

K e n

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Well chances are that you're going to get two very opinionated groups of people- those that think Klipsch is way too bright and not accurate, and those that love the Klipsch sound. While I don't have the same speakers as you, I have the KLF20s and would have to side with the group that loves the sound of Klipsch, but your best bet is to let your own ears decide (preferably with the electronics you'll be using in your system).

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
Joe_H hit the nail on the head. Until you listen to these speakers with your equipment in the room you plan to listen to them in, you won't know how they sound. It doesn't matter if some of us think they sound too bright or if they sound great. It's your ears that matter here. Personally I have a Klipsch set-up, (KLF-20 fronts, KLF-C7 center, and RB-5's for rears) with an Onkyo TX-DS777 receiver being used as a pre-amp running into a Carver AV-705x 5 channel amp, and 2 Audio Control C-101 series III EQ's for the fronts and rears. This setup sounds great to me and I auditioned 3 other speaker brands, (Paradigm, Energy and Definitive Technology), these are what sounded best to me. Just because some people think Onkyo and Klipsch sound too bright together shouldn't matter. It's what you think!!!

Cam S

Screenwriter
I have a full set of the Klipsch Reference line (RB-3II, RC-3II, RF-3, and KSW-10) and am very pleased with the sound of them thus far. I'd am itching to add a sonosub to the mix, but that is a ways away. Give the RP's a listen and see how you like them, I guarentee you'll fall in love with the sound of those horn tweets!

Norman Short

Stunt Coordinator
Mark, you sound as if you're less impressed with the speakers now that you have them home. I'm a Klipsch fan myself, and have Reference series center and surrounds with vintage La Scala mains. IMHO, the RP-5's, which are part of the Synergy line from Klipsch, aren't quite up to the quality of the Reference, Legends, or vintage speakers. So I wouldn't give up on Klipsch entirely even if the RP-5's aren't everything you hoped for. I'm not saying they aren't good speakers, but my listening of the Synergy line led me to the Reference line for my purchase.

Joe and Lawrence are both right about the opinionated camps around these speakers. I run mine with a Yamaha RX-V995 receiver, which is supposedly another "too bright" combination. They do get a bit bright at very high volume, but up to 110db or so I think the La Scalas are fantastic. Louder than that and I do get some brightness, but even then it's not to the point of being fatiguing, and it's very rare that I listen that loud anyway. And they're both right that your ears are what really matters.

Norman Short

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I'm right behind you Michael Lee....

As for my opinion on Klipsch speakers, I absolutely adore them. As an owner of Legends (sadly discontinued) all around KLF 20's for front, surrounds, and backs, and a C7 center I think the sound from these puppies rocks. When mated with the Denon 5700 about a year ago, these speakers were on cruise control. Now as far as Onkyo with these, the sound may get a little bright, but that may well be because my former Onkyo 828THX was quite old and outdated.

With that in mind, I have NOT heard the Reference or Synergy line in critical or casual listening. But...as a fan of Klipsch quality, I would have no problem blindly purchasing a set of Reference line speakers to go into a home theater.

Finally, I have purchased the Quintet line for a small home office. Let me tell you, for little speakers, not only do they weigh a ton, but they sound incredible. The only downside to the Quintets is their inability to handle frequencies below 120hz, making them not quite up to THX standards (which would hold that a speaker be able to play flat down to 80hz. But fortunately, the Denon 4802 has a variable bass management crossover that is set at 120hz for my Quintets).

If you still don't believe in my convictions about Klipsch...just look at my signature! LOL...a walking advertisement.

Eric.

Art C

Agent
Hey I'll post here count me in as a happy camper
I have klipsch klf-20's in front and a c-7 as
center with a onkyo reciver for about two years
now and just gave my ksw-12 to a good pal of mine
only to replace it with a svs sub. This set up
rocks I know I will be very happy with this for
many years to come. Just read the reviews at
www.audioreview.com

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
I to am a happy Klipsch Kamper (although I own klassic Klipsch speakers) I have heard and actually helped a friend setup some of the R5 series and I liked them very much. I think that you should be very happy with your purchase. The nice thing is that if you feel that you need more bass you can always add a dedicated subwoofer in the future.

Jeff

Craig Ball

Second Unit
All just throw in my 2cents and say I love the klipsch sound too. I have the legends series too and have never heard RP-5's, I did own klipsch powered towers before they were from the Premiere series KSP-400's they had 15" subs built into them, but after listening to the legends i sold them and bought KLF-30's KLF-C7 and KSP-S6's and think it's an outstanding combo.

Craig

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Another vote for Klipsch, although "I" didn't care for the RP-5's all that much, but I personally don't like the sound of powered towers. Others enjoy it very much. We all have different tastes/hearing.....good thing for the speaker makers otherwise one speaker could satisfy us all ;)
I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my KLF-30's, should be here late next week. Picked up 10's for the rears and also a C-7. Am waiting until the 30's arrive to set it all up. Will add another pair of 20's or 30's for the rears and move the 10's to the back channel. Should provide a "legendary" sound...
Happy listening...Mike

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Yeah, anything with an "R" in front of the model number from Klipsch is from the Reference Line. I had a pair of SF-1's that are from the Synergy line, hence the "S" designation.

I have a pair of RP3's that I am going to call Klipsch about tomorrow. I just discovered that my Line Level Input knob actually works in REVERSE for my built-in sub. When I turn it towards +, I lose sound from my sub, when I turn it to -, it gets louder. Hmpf.

The RP-3 & 5's were discontinued from Klipsch because of alot of problems they were having.. Buzzy amps, rattling subwoofers, etc.

My RP3's SOUND AMAZING, I am just having a couple of little problems with them. I am probably going to have to send them both in for some warranty work. No big deal. I don't think it's a problem to have to send them in ONCE, but if I ever have to do it again, then I will think twice about buying Klipsch again.

Bob Christensen

Stunt Coordinator
I had an old pair of HUGE Klipsch speakers back in the 70's. Back when high powered amps were mondo-expensive. Their efficiency made them really attractive. I thought that their sound was incredible, certainly miles ahead of the other speaks that I listened to at the time. So when I bought my HT speaks, Klipsch was a natural choice. But I did not make a decision blindly, in a vacuum either. I auditioned many competent speaks from many highly regarded manufactures and finally decided on my RF3/RC3 (now series II) combo, along with a KSW12 (now SVS). I use Quints for surrounds (I know, gotta upgrade, but my SPACE for surrounds is VERY limited, and the Quints, for their size sound fine - any suggestions, folks??).

I power mine with a Yammy Receiver, which is also known to be “bright”. Personally, this “brightness” seems to work really well (at least to my ears) for HT. At high volumes with music, the brightness can be just a touch too much with SOME MATERIAL (I suspect the mastering has much to do with this), and absolutely PERFECT with others.

I also auditioned the RP line of speaks and thought that the RF line sounded much better musically. Now that I have my SVS, I am absolutely certain sure that I made the correct choice. BTW, the choice was down to the RF3's and the RB5's, which also sounded very nice. I went with the towers because they were a bit cheaper, plus they did not require stands. But they sounded very close (again, to my ears). Find a dealer who caries Klipsch as well as some other highly regarded lines like Paradigm, PSB, B&W, etc. Audition them with the same amp/reference material (bring your own CDs and DVDs) and let YOUR EARS be the judge.

Troy_K

Stunt Coordinator
Let me say that I've been a Klipsch fan and owner for 10 years and have owned several pairs of Klipsch speakers in that time. I currently havd KG 5.5 mains, KLFc7 center, and KG1 rears.

I've heard the RP series speakers, and wasn't really too impressed. They sound very different to the classic Klipsch sound. I thought the RF3s sounded better in a side-by side comparison. The whole reference line still leaves much to be desired compared to the older classic Klipsch lines. I haven't heard the new RF5 or RF7s yet, though.

Basically, Klipsch can't be beat on a cost/performance ratio. You can also run very low powered amp with them, making them even more of a bargain. I run a 60 watt/channel Denon AVR 1601 with mine, and it is so loud, I know I'm onlyl using a small fraction of it's power, and it never distorts. The Denon has a transparent sound that does not make the speakers as "bright" as my old Sony receiver did.

Hope this helps.

Troy

DanaA

Screenwriter
Put me firmly in the Klipsch camp. I have Klipsch reference in my bedroom and love them. To make sure it wasn't just my 50 year old ears, I took 3 teenagers and two adults on separate occasions to audition them against other speakers. I didn't even tell them which ones I was interested in, but all liked the Klipsch best. And we listened for literally hours.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Count me in as another Klipsch lover. Saving money to upgrade to Reference line from Synergy.

matthew_rm

Second Unit
Real Name
Real name
Klipsch speakers are great. I can't think of why you would buy anything else for the money! I can see why some people don't like them, they are able to be really bright when hooked up to the wrong gear.

I LOVE the klipsch RF3's, and plan on buying them. The RP5's you are asking about are also great speakers. When placed right, they will sound awsome. Make sure you got room for em'!

Klipsch speakers will probibly allways be my fav'

Sure we would all take Dynaudio evidence towers over klipsch RF7's, but that is a lot of money.

Have fun with klipsch!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks