What's new

Klh R7000 (1 Viewer)

I have a KLH R7000 and when running DTS mode, I popping noises. But when using the dolby, i don't. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lyle

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure, but if your DVD player isn't sending the proper signal that could be the problem. Go to your DVD players menu and check to see if DTS is set for BITSTREAM or PCM. I think it should be PCM. Anybody?

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
I have the exact same problem with mine. The popping comes only from the rea speakers and only when in DTS mode. I thought it was just my Gladiator disc, but I get it on all of my DTS discs after a check. My Toshiba and my JVC players do this on this reciever. I also have the KLH R7000. Aside from this problem, which isn't exceptionally terrible since I only have 5 or 6 DTS DVDs, I am extremely happy with this reciever, especially since it also has 6.1 and was only $150. Anyone else have problems like this with DTS on any other reciever?

Mike K

Agent
Hi -

I just got one of these last weekend to replace my RCA receiver that blew.

I have a problem with my SubWoofer not making any sound.

I go through the test setup and check each speaker and each one makes noise except the subwoofer.

The manual's diagram for the speaker setup labels the Subwoofer as "Powered Subwoofer" ... am I correct then that this receiver sends no power to the subwoofer , it needs to provide it's own amplifier , and thus I "hear" no sound?
Also the manual doesn't specifiy anywhere that a "powered" subwoofer is required.

I was under the impression that this was a SIX speaker unit because of the 6X100 channel indicators , but now I am thinking it supports 7 speakers - just that the subwoofer needs to supply it's own amplifier.

Can anyone who has this unit please help me/tell me how they set up their subwoofer?

Also , If it does require a powered subwoofer - what do you use and what might you recommend for a tight budget purchase of a powered subwoofer?

Thanks in advance for any help as I am one step shy of going back to the store. :frowning:

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Is the Subwoofer setting set to "ON" in the recievers speaker setup? If not, that may be the problem. This is a 6.1 reciever though. 2 fronts, 2 rears, 1 center and 1 rear center + the subwoofer. I had gotten this reciever for christmas but had to take it back because of a DTS issue I was having which is posted above.

Mike K

Agent
Yep - My subwoofer setting is "ON" ;)

I even tried turning that setting "Off" and then "On" again to see if that would help - it didn't. :frowning:

Before you returned yours Jonathan , did you connect a subwoofer to it? Did it work? Was it a "powered subwoofer"?

If I plugged my Subwoofer speaker into one of the other speakers jacks (say "Center Speaker" for example) I should at least hear sound from the subwoofer , correct?

( As you can tell - I'm pretty novice to all this )

Thank you for your response to my dilema! :)

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
Nope, I didn't have a subwoofer connected to it. I have some big floorstanding speakers I use as my fronts so for now they put out adequate bass (only for now though ;)) Do you have your 2 main speakers set to large or small. If they are set to large, try setting them to small and see if that helps.

Also, if you have a DVD with the THX optimizer on it (Finding Nemo, Episode 2: Attack of the Clones, Pearl Harbor, and a bunch of others) it has an optimizer for audio and video. The audio optimizer has one test in it that will test your sub. Try using that and see what you get out of it.

As far as hooking up your sub to another speaker input, I'm not sure what will happen but someone in the Speakers and Subs forum may know what would happen. Hope I was of some help and good luck. Just out of curiosity, have you tried a DTS tracked DVD yet? I was curious to see if anyone other than myself and the poster a few posts up had the problem with DTS tracks.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Mike- You diagnosed you own problem. Virtually all receivers require that a "powered sub" must be connected. If you current sub is unpowered, you may find an inexpensive amp or even a very cheap used receiver for this power requirement. If using a used receiver, ignore the sub-outs on that receiver and use the main pre-outs and the corrosponding speaker connections.

Mike K

Agent
Jonathan Carter Wrote:

Nope, I didn't have a subwoofer connected to it. I have some big floorstanding speakers I use as my fronts so for now they put out adequate bass (only for now though ) Do you have your 2 main speakers set to large or small. If they are set to large, try setting them to small and see if that helps.

Hi Jonathan - They were already set to Large , I tried changing to Small & back to Large - still no luck.

Also, if you have a DVD with the THX optimizer on it (Finding Nemo, Episode 2: Attack of the Clones, Pearl Harbor, and a bunch of others) it has an optimizer for audio and video. The audio optimizer has one test in it that will test your sub. Try using that and see what you get out of it.

I have the Nemo DVD - Thanks! I tried it out and although it didn't fix the subwoofer it did help me see that when I plug the subwoofer speaker into the "SB" port (described as the "Surround Back" speaker - I did get sound through my subwoofer speaker AND I also saw on the speaker indicator on the receivers display that it changed from a box indicator to a speaker indicator. This basically confirmed then that the 6 channels are for FL,FC,FR,SL,SB,SR thus the 6 X 100 . That means the unit DOES support seven speakers , though only supplying power to six of them. Therefore the seventh speaker , the subwoofer , MUST supply it's own power! :emoji_thumbsup:

As far as hooking up your sub to another speaker input, I'm not sure what will happen but someone in the Speakers and Subs forum may know what would happen. Hope I was of some help and good luck. Just out of curiosity, have you tried a DTS tracked DVD yet? I was curious to see if anyone other than myself and the poster a few posts up had the problem with DTS tracks.

I didn't realize until later there was another section on here just for speakers or subwoofers and actually I was more afraid it was a problem with my 'receiver' rather than the subwoofer (since it worked with the RCA unit up until that unit croaked). I might visit them next though! lol

I mentioned the results above about plugging it into another speakers output(input?)

When I first setup the receiver and put in a dvd to test it , I DID hear a distortion (maybe crackling) in the Front Right speaker - but I didn't investigate that because I was more concerned with the subwoofer connection. I'll look more into that next having now resolved the SW dilemma.

Thanks again for the help with this. You always wonder ... "Is it just me?" when these things happen - it's great to have someone to bounce these things off of and get another perspective. :)

Mike K

Agent
JackS Wrote

Mike- You diagnosed you own problem. Virtually all receivers require that a "powered sub" must be connected. If you current sub is unpowered, you may find an inexpensive amp or even a very cheap used receiver for this power requirement. If using a used receiver, ignore the sub-outs on that receiver and use the main pre-outs and the corrosponding speaker connections.

Jacks - just my luck that I had one of the few receiver units that supplied power for it's subwoofer and then replaced it with a more common one that supplies none to the subwoofer! lol

I briefly browsed powered-subwoofers and saw they generally go for more than I paid for this unit! ( Ah! maybe that why they could price it as cheap as it was?? ;) )

I think I'll wait on that purchase for a bit (not like I have much of a $$$choice$$$ )

I'm not sure what you mean by "a used amp" ... would this be in it's own casing and splice between the subwoofer-out rca jack leaving the receiver ,and the speaker's wire-input?

Are these things large or bulky or something that can basically just stick onto the back of the subwoofer?

Have any links to examples of what it is you are recommending?

Thanks again for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks