Help with KLH r7000 specs/ bass shaker question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jon Bell, May 26, 2004.

1. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

I am in search of a cheap receiver to run 6 Aura Bass Shakers. I was looking at an auction on ebay for this receiver (KLH R7000), but I couldn't find out any specs for it. Specifically, from what I've read, I would want the output to go as low as 20Hz. It seems that many of the really inexpensive receivers only go as low as 40Hz. I know it can go 100W per channel, but I haven't been able to find the frequency range. I called KLH customer service, but they were not helpful, as the tech did not have access to a manual.

Otherwise, this receiver seems plenty powerful to do what I want it to do. Any thoughts?

I realize that similar questions get asked all the time. I did a search online and here, but I'm still stuck.

2. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

3. Jon Bell

I already have a surround receiver with a 7.1 setup. I plan to use a Y splitter from the sub-out. One end of the Y will go to the sub, the other will go to the 2nd receiver (the KLH or something like it). Two other receivers that I looked at (priced under $100) only went as low as 40Hz. I don't remember which ones they were. They might have just been stereo receivers, not surround receivers. From the other bass shaker threads I've read, you want to be able to go down to 20Hz to get the best effect.

I think I can get the R7000 for under $60 delivered, as opposed to $120 to $160 or so for similar receivers. There is a Sony on sale at Circuit City for $120 that I'm sure would do what I want, but it seems a waste to spend the extra money just for the one function.

4. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

5. Jon Bell

An amp is also an option. Parts Express has one that others are using.

But, since I can get this particular receiver for basically a closeout price, my question is: will it go low enough to do what I want it to do? It retails for around $180 to $200, so presumably, it's not a complete piece of crap; I just can't find any details about it.

6. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor