What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (15 Viewers)

RCRochester

Agent
Real Name
Stuart
Hi Kino Lorber Insider,
Will Kino Lorber's upcoming August 3, 2021 Blu-Ray release of Coogan's Bluff
feature the movie in uncut form?

The DVD version of Coogan's Bluff is edited by approximately three minutes
in all regions for unknown reasons.

The missing scenes include Walt Coogan (Clint Eastwood)
receiving his assignment to return James Ringerman (Don Stroud) from New York,
a short scene in a hospital,
and a scene in which Julie Roth (Susan Clark) talks about Coogan's Bluff,
a lookout point over the ocean near New York
(the real Coogan's Bluff is a site on Manhattan Island between Washington Heights and Harlem),
tying the locations into the film's title.

The old VHS release of Coogan's Bluff did not have these edits and was released uncut.

Even if Kino Lorber's upcoming Blu-Ray release of Coogan's Bluff
doesn't include the uncut version of the motion picture,
I would still be buying their Blu-Ray release of it soon after its official release date
due to the excellent bonus features that will be getting included on the Blu-Ray disc.

Coogan's Bluff is a Clint Eastwood movie that I have on DVD and I've always liked the movie.
In my opinion, the vast majority of the movies that Eastwood has actually starred in are marvelous.
I have nearly all of the movies from Eastwood's filmography in my DVD or Blu-Ray collection.
I've seen the film many times on VHS and DVD and do not remember seeing any of those scenes. I've read somewhere they were included on TV broadcast versions only. I cannot say if they were in the version screened theatrically or not, though.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Brand New HD Master from a 2K Scan of the Interpositive!

Secret of the Blue Room (1933)
Starring Gloria Stuart, Lionel Atwill, Paul Lukas & Edward Arnold – Shot by Charles J. Stumar (The Raven) – Screenplay by William Hurlbut (The Bride of Frankenstein) – Directed by Kurt Neumann (The Fly).

May be an image of 4 people and text that says 'CARL LAEMMLE presents THE BLUE ROOM The SECRET. OF LIONEL ATWILL with PAUL LUKAS GLORIA STUART EDWARD ARNOLD ONSLOW STEVENS Wm. JANNE RUSSELL HOPTON ELIZABETH ELIZ TERSON MURIEL KIRKLAND JAMES DURKIN Screen play by WILLIAM HURLBUT Directed by KURT NEUMANN Shocks! Shivers! Sensation! Surprises! Creeping shadows, clutching hands, blue death- chamber and houseful of bewildered men defying the supernatural for the sake of beautiful girl! A UNIVERSAL PICTURE Produced CARL LAEMMLE, JR'

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Lionel Atwell and Gloria Stewart in an early Universal pre-code Murder Mystery masquerading as Horror and utilizing the same house set as James Whale’s “The Old Dark House”, sign me up. Another great announcement: by the way in his book Universal Horror, Tom Weaver stated that this was a hidden gem.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Lionel Atwell and Gloria Stewart in an early Universal pre-code Murder Mystery masquerading as Horror and utilizing the same house set as James Whale’s “The Old Dark House”, sign me up. Another great announcement: by the way in his book Universal Horror, Tom Weaver stated that this was a hidden gem.
Yeah, it's a pretty good movie. Speaking of Tom Weaver's book, I'm now hoping that someone releases all the movies featured in Universal Horrors. I think there's only a little more than a dozen from that book that haven't come out on Blu-ray yet... although I imagine that most of the remaining ones ain't that great.

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John

Coming Soon!

Starring Gloria Stuart, Lionel Atwill, Paul Lukas & Edward Arnold – Shot by Charles J. Stumar (The Raven) – Screenplay by William Hurlbut (The Bride of Frankenstein) – Directed by Kurt Neumann (The Fly).

May be an image of 4 people and text that says 'CARL LAEMMLE presents THE BLUE ROOM The SECRET. OF LIONEL ATWILL with PAUL LUKAS GLORIA STUART EDWARD ARNOLD ONSLOW STEVENS Wm. JANNE RUSSELL HOPTON ELIZABETH ELIZ TERSON MURIEL KIRKLAND JAMES DURKIN Screen play by WILLIAM HURLBUT Directed by KURT NEUMANN Shocks! Shivers! Sensation! Surprises! Creeping shadows, clutching hands, blue death- chamber and houseful of bewildered men defying the supernatural for the sake of beautiful girl! A UNIVERSAL PICTURE Produced CARL LAEMMLE, JR''CARL LAEMMLE presents THE BLUE ROOM The SECRET. OF LIONEL ATWILL with PAUL LUKAS GLORIA STUART EDWARD ARNOLD ONSLOW STEVENS Wm. JANNE RUSSELL HOPTON ELIZABETH ELIZ TERSON MURIEL KIRKLAND JAMES DURKIN Screen play by WILLIAM HURLBUT Directed by KURT NEUMANN Shocks! Shivers! Sensation! Surprises! Creeping shadows, clutching hands, blue death- chamber and houseful of bewildered men defying the supernatural for the sake of beautiful girl! A UNIVERSAL PICTURE Produced CARL LAEMMLE, JR'
Another pre-code Universal horror and mystery film. Sign me up. Loving all the films coming from the Universal deal.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
keeping on topic, I wonder if Kino, would be interested in continuing those lesser unseen Universals, including the ones that most likely have never gotten any kind of official home video release, between Universal's own product or those early Paramount titles. Again just another great announcement, (the 12 year old me), is now thinking late night Friday Creature Features.

DonB34

Agent
Real Name
Donald

Coming Soon!

May be an image of 4 people and text that says 'CARL LAEMMLE presents THE BLUE ROOM The SECRET. OF LIONEL ATWILL with PAUL LUKAS GLORIA STUART EDWARD ARNOLD ONSLOW STEVENS Wm. JANNE RUSSELL HOPTON ELIZABETH ELIZ TERSON MURIEL KIRKLAND JAMES DURKIN Screen play by WILLIAM HURLBUT Directed by KURT NEUMANN Shocks! Shivers! Sensation! Surprises! Creeping shadows, clutching hands, blue death- chamber and houseful of bewildered men defying the supernatural for the sake of beautiful girl! A UNIVERSAL PICTURE Produced CARL LAEMMLE, JR''CARL LAEMMLE presents THE BLUE ROOM The SECRET. OF LIONEL ATWILL with PAUL LUKAS GLORIA STUART EDWARD ARNOLD ONSLOW STEVENS Wm. JANNE RUSSELL HOPTON ELIZABETH ELIZ TERSON MURIEL KIRKLAND JAMES DURKIN Screen play by WILLIAM HURLBUT Directed by KURT NEUMANN Shocks! Shivers! Sensation! Surprises! Creeping shadows, clutching hands, blue death- chamber and houseful of bewildered men defying the supernatural for the sake of beautiful girl! A UNIVERSAL PICTURE Produced CARL LAEMMLE, JR'
This kind of reminds me of "Remember Last Night?", except that one is a comedy house crime mystery with several big name stars. So funny and wild. Directed by James Whale. Would love to see that get an official release from Kino, as it's a Universal film as well. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

Coming Soon!

Another nice surprise! Thank you, Kino.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Brand new 2K master from a 2K scan of the interpositive!

The Spider Woman Strikes Back (1946)
Starring Gale Sondergaard, Brenda Joyce, Kirby Grant & Rondo Hatton – Written by Eric Taylor (Black Friday) – Directed by Arthur Lubin (Phantom of the Opera).

View attachment 94391
Fun, rarely seen flick with an impressive cast. Thank you.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
This week I watched The Night Has a Thousand Eyes courtesy of Italian TV. It's an interesting film that has the winsome Gail Russell starring opposite Edward G. Robinson. A BD should look good since it's a dark film with an interesting hook.
All My Sons is an almost literal rendition of the Arthur Miller play. It has elements of tragedy (the Greek kind) in the hero's downfall from grace. Excellent cast.
Both would be added to my collection.
Speaking of Gail Russell, how tragic her personal life turned out to be shortly after her career started in films and her death at still a young age.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

Coming Soon!

Brand new 2K master from a 2K scan of the interpositive!

Night Has a Thousand Eyes (1948)
Starring Edward G. Robinson, Gail Russell, John Lund & Virginia Bruce – Shot by John F. Seitz (Double Indemnity) – Screenplay by Barré Lyndon (Hangover Square) & Jonathan Latimer (The Big Clock) – Based on a Novel by Cornell Woolrich (Rear Window) – Directed by John Farrow (Alias Nick Beal).

May be an image of 3 people and text that says 'EDWARD G. ROBINSON GAIL RUSSELL JOHN LUND NEVER HAVE THE STARS LOOKED DOWN... ON AN ADVENTURE LIKE THIS! NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES ...IRGINIA BRUCE WILLIAM DEMAREST Endre Bohem Directed by JOHN FARROW PlayBarrLyndo Paramount Produced''EDWARD G. ROBINSON GAIL RUSSELL JOHN LUND NEVER HAVE THE STARS LOOKED DOWN... ON AN ADVENTURE LIKE THIS! NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES ...IRGINIA BRUCE WILLIAM DEMAREST Endre Bohem Directed by JOHN FARROW PlayBarrLyndo Paramount Produced'
Great!

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
a scene in which Julie Roth (Susan Clark) talks about Coogan's Bluff,
a lookout point over the ocean near New York
(the real Coogan's Bluff is a site on Manhattan Island between Washington Heights and Harlem),
tying the locations into the film's title.

The information about the location of Coogan's Bluff is partially incorrect. It does not overlook the ocean. It overlooks the Harlem River, which separates Manhattan from the Bronx. Coogan's Bluff used to overlook the Polo Grounds, the stadium in upper Manhattan where the New York Giants baseball team played before moving to San Francisco. Yankee Stadium is located in the Bronx, almost directly across the Harlem River from where the Polo Grounds was located. Coogan's Bluff is in Washington Heights, just north of W. 155th Street, which is regarded as the northern boundary of Harlem. Here is a photo of people watching a game at the Polo Grounds from Coogan's Bluff in 1908.
Coogan;s Bluff in 1908.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The information about the location of Coogan's Bluff is partially incorrect. It does not overlook the ocean. It overlooks the Harlem River, which separates Manhattan from the Bronx. Coogan's Bluff used to overlook the Polo Grounds, the stadium in upper Manhattan where the New York Giants baseball team played before moving to San Francisco. Yankee Stadium is located in the Bronx, almost directly across the Harlem River from where the Polo Grounds was located. Coogan's Bluff is in Washington Heights, just north of W. 155th Street, which is regarded as the northern boundary of Harlem. Here is a photo of people watching a game at the Polo Grounds from Coogan's Bluff in 1908. View attachment 94964
When I was a kid, my grandfather took me to see the Polo Grounds site a few years after it was demolished when they started building those apartment complexes that sit on the old Polo Grounds. I remember him pointing out Coogan's Bluff to me as we drove around then he took me to see my Yankees play at the old Yankee Stadium.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger

Coming Soon!

I remember watching this on "Chiller Theatre" one night in my yoot. Alas, I fell asleep half-way through and they never repeated it; I was furious with myself. It was literally decades before I finally got another chance to see it and this time managed to make it to the end.

And yes, REMEMBER LAST NIGHT? is absolutely a gem and IMHO Whale's best non-horror movie apart from SHOW BOAT.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Coming Soon!

Wonderful news. I think this is another effort that uses the Swan Lake music common to early Universal Horror. Now, perhaps a shift to early Paramount horror?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
keeping on topic, I wonder if Kino, would be interested in continuing those lesser unseen Universals, including the ones that most likely have never gotten any kind of official home video release, between Universal's own product or those early Paramount titles. Again just another great announcement, (the 12 year old me), is now thinking late night Friday Creature Features.
No, probably not. I asked about SKIPPY and they had no interest in it. Which is unfortunate because it’s a best Director winner and BP nom, and never had a release. :/

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
When I was a kid, my grandfather took me to see the Polo Grounds site a few years after it was demolished when they started building those apartment complexes that sit on the old Polo Grounds. I remember him pointing out Coogan's Bluff to me as we drove around then he took me to see my Yankees play at the old Yankee Stadium.

I never got to a game at the Polo Grounds but I did get to both Yankee Stadium and Ebbets Field in 1956, when I was eight years old. I got to see seven Hall of Famers play in those two games.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks