What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (29 Viewers)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I will always remember "What's So Bad About Feeling Good" for Thelma Ritter's cameo as a chilled out New Yorker. It was her last film appearance. It was directed by George Seaton who directed Thelma's first film appearance, in "Miracle On 34th St." While dated in it's depiction of "Hippies" or "Drop Outs" it is a fun film which I always enjoyed.

Very excited to hear Kino is working on a 3rd deal with Universal. Their Universal releases have been outstanding to date.

rdimucci

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
From Paul Talbot on our Facebook thread: "In the fall of 1972, Sturges directed THE VALDEZ HORSES in Spain and Rome for nine weeks and completed the entire film. When De Laurentiis and the investors saw the edited film in early 1973, they were disappointed with the lack of action. Sturges worked with writer Elmore Leonard and came up with some new scenes to shoot. But Sturges was unable to direct the new vignettes because he was in pre-production on the John Wayne movie MCQ. In June 1973 (six months after THE VALDEZ HORSES originally wrapped), the main cast and a new crew went to Spain to shoot for one week and filmed new scenes, retakes, and inserts under the direction of Italian Duilio Coletti. The final film runs 97 minutes. By my calculations, Sturges directed 74 minutes of what ended up on screen and Coletti directed 23 minutes. In my commentary, I identify which scenes were helmed by which director."

In our new interview with Van Patten, he says Sturges was the best director he ever worked with, so the rumors of him not directing the film is false.
Here's what's in the IMDB. A totally different story, but one reportedly from Sturges' own mouth:

According to a John Sturges interview given to French student Emmanuel Laborit in 1990, for his book "John Sturges,: Storis About q Filmmaker", Sturges said he was unable to direct because he was ill just when they began shooting. Producer Dino De Laurentiis called Duilio Coletti to replace him, although Sturges did not give his agreement. For that reason, Sturges wanted his name taken off the credits, De Laurentiis kept his name on the American release prints, because he thought that the Sturges name on a western was better.

Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
KL Insider, THANK YOU for keeping the spigot open with Universal by renewing deals to tap into that vast library. You, Richard Lorber and Frank Tarzi are HEROES for accomplishing what film fans have been patiently (OK, maybe not so patiently) awaiting for years.

And in keeping with the rules of this thread, I will not ask you if any particular titles may be in the offing -- and I won't even include a wish-list here. That's because I've already been exceedingly vocal about which titles I think would fly off the shelves.

So, at this point, folks who can't figure which titles I'm talking about likely couldn't find an elephant in a room ... or a man in Half Moon Street ... or a girl in the Kremlin. ;)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
While I am discouraged when the Insider says that KLSC has "no interest" in an obscure title I love that needs an improved release (or in some cases, a release in the first place), I am delighted that they HAVE released titles that I thought would never see the light of day, such as ME NATALIE, SONG OF NORWAY, and THE OSCAR.

When I saw the announcements of those titles on this forum, I am grateful that the neighbors weren't home at the time. :rock:

I hope that those titles at least approached breakeven status, so as to encourage Kino to keep going where no distributor has gone before.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Whenever there's that rare disappointment over the absence of one singular title, I have learned of the beneficial trade-offs; to which a dozen other alternate titles of equal merits are brought to the fore. No doubts here, Kino Lorber knows how to crank 'em out and always gives us more.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I've seen the film many times on VHS and DVD and do not remember seeing any of those scenes. I've read somewhere they were included on TV broadcast versions only. I cannot say if they were in the version screened theatrically or not, though.

I watched the region-free Universal UK Blu-ray of Coogan's Bluff last night. My Blu-ray player clocks it at 94 minutes and change. It looks and sound very nice, but it has no extras. If Kino uses the same transfer everyone should be happy with it.

There is no scene of Coogan getting his orders to go to New York and pick up Ringerman, and Julie (Susan Clark's character) does not mention the real Coogan's Bluff. I am not sure what was added to the hospital scene so I can't comment on that.

I actually like the first helicopter scene better without knowing why Coogan was sent to New York, because not knowing enhances the conversation he has with the passenger who is curious about why a man wearing a cowboy hat and boots has come to New York.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I watched the region-free Universal UK Blu-ray of Coogan's Bluff last night. My Blu-ray player clocks it at 94 minutes and change. It looks and sound very nice, but it has no extras. If Kino uses the same transfer everyone should be happy with it.

There is no scene of Coogan getting his orders to go to New York and pick up Ringerman, and Julie (Susan Clark's character) does not mention the real Coogan's Bluff. I am not sure what was added to the hospital scene so I can't comment on that.

I actually like the first helicopter scene better without knowing why Coogan was sent to New York, because not knowing enhances the conversation he has with the passenger who is curious about why a man wearing a cowboy hat and boots has come to New York.

Clint was the original Urban Cowboy by a year.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Re: THE VALDEZ HORSES. Paul Talbot is a genius when it comes to Bronson. I've known him for years and I've listened to all of his commentary tracks as well as read every book he's written. If there are any questions about the topic he'd be more than happy to address them. He's really top-notch on his research on Bronson and other subjects.

A good string of titles were announced since I last commented. I'm glad to see THE SECRET OF THE BLUE ROOM included. I watched the original German version last year and I'm looking forward to revisiting this remake as well as possibly the two other films from Universal.

It's too bad Kino's Forbidden Cinema series isn't getting more notice as it really is one of the best collections out there. I believe the WAGES OF SIN disc is coming in a few weeks and I'm really looking forward to it.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
It's too bad Kino's Forbidden Cinema series isn't getting more notice as it really is one of the best collections out there. I believe the WAGES OF SIN disc is coming in a few weeks and I'm really looking forward to it.

it's getting noticed, maybe not from as many members on this forum, but they have been delivering some really great early exploitation in those releases, the VS crowd and 42nd guys on the other forum discuss those releases. Sad part is there are only a few more releases left according to the Insider

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

I have most of them, and I just ordered LASH OF THE PENITENTES. There is a good book about exploitation films called "Bold! Daring! Shocking! True! A History of Exploitation Films 1919-1959" by Eric Schaefer.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I meant MIDNIGHT, not Urban

While I'm sure Claudette Colbert (and the guy Grandma said invented the telephone) was in Midnight

1619062808699.png

... I'm pretty sure Clint Eastwood wasn't ;)!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can tell you that we're working on a new deal with Universal and have sent them a large list of titles we're interested in

I just noticed this. This is fantastic news! I have been absolutely delighted with the titles I’ve been picking up from the most recent deal and the Mae West preorders I have in are my most anticipated titles of the year thus far. I was late to getting the Cary Grant collection but those are all very welcome improvements over the old DVDs.

I have no specific question and no specific request. I just wanna say, it’s been so much fun to have so many of my favorites that I thought would never get a leap beyond VHS or DVD coming out in nice Blu-ray editions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
riksco