What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (12 Viewers)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
And, thank today's favourite god, I can at last watch this great movie in an unstretched format! Thanks Kino for correcting the earlier Blu ray abomination.
Hopefully, MGM, or whoever made the new master, did something with the flickering brightness at times as well. When Paramount made their Blu-ray of Gunfight At The OK Corral, they pretty much completely fixed that flaw from the DVD..

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
According to Evan Thomas in his fine book on Eisenhower's presidency, 'Ike's Bluff', President Eisenhower screened The Big Country at least three times over the fall of 1958 and into the late winter of '59...including a screening on March 19,1959, at Camp David with British Prime Minister Harold MacMillan as his guest...MacMillan was unimpressed by the film, and didn't care for Westerns...in his diary, he referred to The Big Country as "inconceivably banal" and "it lasted three hours!"...but MacMillan was distracted and bothered by having just returned from Moscow where Soviet Premier Kruschev had rattled him badly with blood curdling threats over Berlin, and the British P.M. was desperately intent on urging Ike to stage a summit with Kruschev...

When that summit was arranged on September 25, Eisenhower screened Shane for his guest Nikita Kruschev at Camp David...during which time Kruschev informed him that Westerns were his favorite films, and also that Stalin himself loved American Westerns and showed them all the time for his cronies...of course, Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge thought it would be best for Comrade Kruschev to visit the Hollywood set of Can Can and meet Shirley MacLaine, and later, Kim Novak and Marilyn Monroe...

Ike Loved The Big Country and Westerns in general...when I watch this great film, I'll be thinking of the great man himself, and poor rattled Harold MacMillan (a decent and brave man himself) during those dark days of the Cold War...

Much thanks. Kino - Lorber!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Recently had a wonderful double feature dinner event featuring Beggars of Life and The Covered Wagon. The conversation, of course, turned to the upcoming release of Old Ironsides, which the enthralled audience were obviously looking forward to seeing. Any news of a specific date?

dagover

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Either I missed the announcement, or it was never announced on this forum, that Kino finally released the documentary "From Caligari To Hitler" on an affordable DVD in January of this year. It's a great documentary on Weimar Cinema that previously was only available on dvd at a cost of several hundred dollars.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
tenor.gif

This... this just made my year!

What film or show is that "Sweet Jesus" gif taken from?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
From a fan's perspective I can give a rip who has top billing which is my point. Does any of us care how the star feels about their precious ego? Not many of us.

That is true for most people now, but if you happen to be an artist in any media as I was -- writing, painting, music, film, etc. -- ego is supremely important. It's why many artists are highly motivated in their professions. We are creatively driven, true, and we engage in our art for the sake of that art to at least some degree, true, but audience/viewer response to our efforts is an enormous incentive for most (emphasis on "most") of us in our fields. Taking away these reactions, even if not entirely positive, can leave us pretty empty and lost. Insecurity? Yes, of course, and much great art is born as a result of it.

Who knows what was in the heart of Michelangelo? Certainly he had an ego, though. He, like most artists, wanted his work to be perfect so that it could be viewed/heard by appreciative audience. Those among us who are not artistically inclined would have a hard time understanding this, thinking, "Oh, what a bunch of stuck-up assholes." But, people are fragile, and those who find themselves (often because they are simply compelled to be) in the arts need the feedback. It is the fuel that feeds their fire, like oxygen. Of course, we all need it to some degree. It is a matter of what kind and to what degree.

Still, I agree that this whole movie billing thing seems pretty petty, except that it reflects actor stature and might well contribute to salary expectations and box officer receipts. In the actor's mind it solidifies his or her current place in the scheme of popularity and demand. Actors are a very fragile bunch (talk about insecure!), and require kid gloves. They are enormously competitive, like athletes. I do not in any way condone the horrifically insane salaries the top actors receive, which keep theater admissions higher than they need to be even now that digital projection has replaced the need for film prints and even projectionists, but the studios are willing to pay them these in order to increase their chances of releasing a financial hit.

But when you use the phrase "precious egos," please do keep in mind that those egos are what give us much of our best art in every media.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Dom DeLuise wasn't in Murder by Death. That was James Coco. I just watched it on Saturday. Hilarious!!!

I'd LOVE to have it on Blu. Maybe with Deleted scenes. Here's hoping KINO or TT can grab it.

I second the motion, along with The Cheap Detective. Eileen Brennan as Betty DeBoop was classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks