What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (5 Viewers)

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I wonder if these will ever get released:
SHOCK TREATMENT (1964) Fox
THE 3RD VOICE (1960) Fox
THE OUTSIDER (1961) Universal
I AIM AT THE STARS (1960) Columbia

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else experience processing errors on their Kino orders in the last couple days?

I got an email saying my payment for The Outer Limits Season 1 Blu--ray was declined, and I was told to re-order, and the new order shipped. And the very next day they charged my original order and shipped another copy. Customer service said they had processing errors. Now I have to ship one back for a refund. And they TOLD me I had to re-order. Sigh.

This is what I get for changing my order from Amazon because I thought I would get it sooner from Kino (which might be true, it's already shipped, but TWICE).
I received the same email, but when I contacted Kino they told me that the order was being processed and I would be receiving it, so I didn't double order. Kino was definitely having issues on this one. I think our pre-orders slipped into...
The Outer Limits!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Well at least you guys are receiving Outer Limits. I preordered back in January from Amazon aka "currently the slowest shipping service in the world" and mine is not scheduled to arrive until April 2-6. For the past year or so Amazon's policy seems to be to sit on a new release for a week or so and then ship it. Works the same for standard or free shipping. You have to pay their super high $10+ dollar priority shipping to actually have it shipped when they receive it.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
March Madness Sale Starts Today!
144 (132 in Canada - see below) Blu-rays and 5 DVDs!
$6.99 and Up!
$50 Free USA shipping for orders of $50 or more!
$100 Free Canada shipping for orders of $100 or more!
Sale End Monday April 2nd!

The following 12 titles are only available to U.S. customers (no Canada): The Bitch, Four Faces West, Loophole, Making Contact, The Optimists, Paris Holiday, The Pied Piper, Star Crystal, Stryker, The Stud, The Wrong Guy and ZPG

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/list/view/code/march-2018-madness?affiliate=klscsm

Last edited:

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
March Madness Sale Starts Today!
144 (132 in Canada - see below) Blu-rays and 5 DVDs!
$6.99 and Up!
$50 Free USA shipping for orders of $50 or more!
$100 Free Canada shipping for orders of $100 or more!
Sale End Monday April 2nd!

The following 12 titles are only available to U.S. customers (no Canada): The Bitch, Four Faces West, Loophole, Making Contact, The Optimists, Paris Holiday, The Pied Piper, Star Crystal, Stryker, The Stud, The Wrong Guy and ZPG

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/list/view/code/march-2018-madness?affiliate=klscsm
Thanks for the sale, picked up 6 titles I was on the hedge about!

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I wonder if these will ever get released:
SHOCK TREATMENT (1964) Fox
THE 3RD VOICE (1960) Fox
THE OUTSIDER (1961) Universal
I AIM AT THE STARS (1960) Columbia

“I aim at the stars...and hit London.” Mort Sahl on Wernher von Braun’s autobiography.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
My Holy Grail just arrived in the Holy Mail.

150_cover300_outer_limits_season_one_blu-ray.gif

I've been anxiously hoping for a blu-ray release of The Outer Limits ever since the blu-ray release of The Twilight Zone was announced more than six years ago. If such an iconic and historic series (shot in 35mm) could get an HD release, why not the almost equally influential Gothic/horror/sci-fi series that helped inspire this writer on his life's path?

Great thanks again to Kino for this release and the second season coming later this year.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New HD Master From a 4K Scan of the 35mm Nitrate Negative & Positive Separations by Paramount Pictures Archives!

Oscar Nominee: Best Actress (Hopkins)

Becky Sharp (1935) Starring Miriam Hopkins, Frances Dee, Cedric Hardwicke, Billie Burke, Nigel Bruce and Alan Mowbray - Shot by Ray Rennahan (Blood and Sand, For Whom the Bell Tolls) - Screenplay by Francis Edward Faragoh (Frankenstein, Little Caesar) - Based on a Novel by William Makepeace Thackeray (Barry Lyndon, Vanity Fair) - Directed by Rouben Mamoulian (Love Me Tonight, The Mark of Zorro).

5495299bfd9778ec826c70985c6d501a.jpg

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New HD Master From a 4K Scan of the 35mm Nitrate Negative & Positive Separations by Paramount Pictures Archives!

Oscar Nominee: Best Actress (Hopkins)

Becky Sharp (1935) Starring Miriam Hopkins, Frances Dee, Cedric Hardwicke, Billie Burke, Nigel Bruce and Alan Mowbray - Shot by Ray Rennahan (Blood and Sand, For Whom the Bell Tolls) - Screenplay by Francis Edward Faragoh (Frankenstein, Little Caesar) - Based on a Novel by William Makepeace Thackeray (Barry Lyndon, Vanity Fair) - Directed by Rouben Mamoulian (Love Me Tonight, The Mark of Zorro).

View attachment 45019

Wow! Just wow! Truly, all things are possible but I'd never in a million years! Every classic film lover is in your debt, Kino! :)

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Is Kino's Becky Sharp the complete restored version -ie: the UCLA Robert Gitt restoration?
The last reel of the OCN was missing so what I saw years ago was a stunning print up to the final reel. Unless Paramount has found the final reel...one can only hope.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
The last reel of the OCN was missing so what I saw years ago was a stunning print up to the final reel. Unless Paramount has found the final reel...one can only hope.
WIKIPEDIA:

For many years, the original three-color Technicolor version of the film was not available for viewing, though a 16 millimeter version was available. This version had been printed (poorly) on two-color Cinecolor stock which did not accurately reproduce the colors of the original film. The smaller film stock also resulted in a grainier, inferior image.

In the 1980s the UCLA Film and Television Archive restored the film, under the supervision of archivist Robert Gitt. Rouben Mamoulian appeared at the premiere of the restored print at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences theatre in Beverly Hills.

It doesn't say anything about any missing reels, and the Wikipedia's own page on lost and partially lost films says nothing about Becky Sharp being lost or incomplete.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
When the film was reissued in Cinecolor, it was shortened a bit. When Gitt restored it, he reinstated the cuts. Three-strip materials for the last reel were not available but Gitt did the best he could with it, and the final scenes, though not perfect, are quite acceptable in his version. I'm curious to know if this Kino release is Gitt's restoration or something else.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
BECKY SHARP: Be still, my beating heart! I've been waiting for this ever since either HBO or Cinemax ... I can't
remember which ... broadcast the restored version a couple times something like 30 years ago. I'd all but given
up hope.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
OH

MY

GOD

I have waited for this moment since I first read about BECKY SHARP in Fred Basten's circa 1980 book about Technicolor. At that point the full Technicolor version was still considered "lost" and the book had some interesting text about what happened to the film over the years. The big coffee table reprint of that book from about 20 years later omits that text because, by then, it had been restored. A few years later (1984) I was thrilled to read the "Restoring Becky Sharp" article in American Cinematographer and was totally hooked. I suffered through the lousy color on PD prints in the early days of home video and finally got to see the restoration on AMC's very first "preservation festival" in 1993. I patiently waited for a home video release. I didn't, of course, realize I would have to wait out VHS, laserdisc, and DVD but who's complaining?

TCM would occasionally show this restoration but the print they used was overly processed and had a very compressed "digital" feel to it with dulled colors. It certainly couldn't measure up to the initial TV airing. I am so excited for this, thank you thank you thank you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks