What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (19 Viewers)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Kino,

Outstanding announcement on The Land Unknown, is there any more 40's to 50's Sci Fi surprises like that ? Large spiders, or Mantis, Monoliths, or Mole People? what a great time for classics to shine in HD!
I'm really hoping for the deadly mantis which I have a soft spot for and its one of the films that Universal released in an incorrect 1.33:1 ratio on DVD. Really need to see this one in its correct 1.85:1 ratio

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
My Blu-ray copy of Ghost of Sierra de Cobre arrived from Amazon Canada, and it of course looks phenomenal. Sounds great also, that brilliant Frontiere music alone sends chills up your spine. I've only sampled the beginning 10 minutes or so, and will watch it in it's entirety this weekend. Running time for the padded out feature is 1:20:45. The original pilot film, The Haunted is 53:05. Looking forward to eventually listening to both commentary tracks soon. Another first rate release by Kino - Lorber!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming January 2nd!

The Bounty (1984) with optional English subtitles

• Audio commentary by director Roger Donaldson, producer Bernard Williams and production designer John Graysmark
• Audio commentary by historical consultant Stephens Walters
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Stereo Audio
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 132 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
Screen legends Anthony Hopkins (The Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal) and Mel Gibson (The Road Warrior, Braveheart) lead a stellar cast that includes Sir Laurence Olivier (Rebecca), Daniel Day-Lewis (The Crucible), Edward Fox (The Day of the Jackal), Bernard Hill (Titanic) and Liam Neeson (The Grey) in this action-packed adventure bursting with sensational battles, raging storms and an intensity as powerful as the mighty sea itself. Bristling with commanding performances, blazing dialogue and superb action scenes, this spectacular movie is everything a high-adventure fan could want. Hopkins delivers a brilliant portrayal as William Bligh, a real-life sea captain who, in 1787, steered The Bounty on a 27,000-mile voyage into danger, chaos and madness. After 31 days of battling severe sea squalls and Bligh's ever-increasing cruelty, the weary crew is relieved to finally land on a remote island. But soon their tyrannical captain wants to sail again, and the desperate men turn to first mate Fletcher Christian (Gibson) to help them take the ship back... or die trying. Directed by Roger Donaldson (Cadillac Man) with a screenplay by Robert Bolt (Lawrence of Arabia), based on a novel by Richard Hough (Captain Bligh and Mr. Christian).

The Scarlet Letter (1995) with optional English subtitles

• Audio Commentary by director Roland Joffé
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Stereo Audio
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 135 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated R
An erotic tale of forbidden love! Sexy Demi Moore (Disclosure, Indecent Proposal) heats up this powerfully sensual story of illicit love. In a time when adultery is punishable by death, Hester Prynne (Moore) becomes involved in a risky and scandalous affair with her town's handsome minister (Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy). But when their secret passion results in a child, Hester is confronted with the town's overwhelming scorn... and is condemned to forever wear the scarlet letter "A" as a public brand of shame. A proactive retelling of the classic tale of forbidden love, The Scarlet Letter combines a sizzling story with exciting stars and delivers must-see entertainment. Directed by Roland Joffé (The Mission, The Killing Fields) with a screenplay by Douglas Day Stewart (An Officer and a Gentleman), based on a novel by Nathaniel Hawthorne (The House of the Seven Gables). The stellar cast includes Robert Duvall (True Confessions), Joan Plowright (Enchanted April), Edward Hardwicke (The Return of Sherlock Holmes) and Robert Prosky (The Chamber).

Washington Square (1997) with optional English subtitles

• Audio Commentary by director Agnieszka Holland
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 115 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
She must choose between her father’s fortune and the man she loves! Riveting performances from an all-star cast highlight this passionate tale of a young heiress who must choose between love or money. Jennifer Jason Leigh (Rush, Heart of Midnight, A Thousand Acres) is Catherine, a lonely young woman in search of happiness... until she is swept off her feet by the handsome Morris Townsend (Ben Chaplin, Feast of July). Suspicious of the young man's true intentions, however, her controlling father (Albert Finney, Murder on the Orient Express) threatens to disown Catherine if she follows her heart and marries against his wishes. Directed by Agnieszka Holland (Europa Europa, The Secret Garden) with a screenplay by Carol Doyle (Veronica Guerin), based on a novel by Henry James (The Heiress). Maggie Smith (The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie), Judith Ivey (Hello Again), Jennifer Garner (13 Going on 30) and Peter Maloney (The Thing) co-star in this timeless story both powerful and entertaining.

January_epics.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
THIS ISLAND EARTH

I'm really hoping for the deadly mantis which I have a soft spot for and its one of the films that Universal released in an incorrect 1.33:1 ratio on DVD. Really need to see this one in its correct 1.85:1 ratio

i just had a burrowing suspicion that if anything else was considered it would be coming up from the ground, not down from the skies :D

dagover

Agent
Real Name
Brian

I remember seeing Mantis in grade school one summer and sitting thru 3 showings of it. Back then you could sit thru as many showings of a double bill as you wanted as long as you didn't cause trouble. I did get in trouble for this one, as I was really late for supper & parents weren't happy about that.

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
If Kino has a deal with Universal is the final Elvis Presley narrative film, Change of Habit under consideration?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
My copy of The Ghost Of Sierra De Cobre arrived today and, of course, couldn't wait to watch it. But when a beautiful blonde suddenly pops up on the beach (I'm assuming a scene added to the TV pilot to make it feature length), the commentary by David J. Schow identifies her as Dolores Starr. She's not credited in the film and the IMDb lists L'il Abner (1959) as her last film. However, and I stand to be corrected, I could swear that the blonde is Diane McBain, the Warners starlet of Parrish and A Distant Trumpet as well as the Elvis film Spinout. Can anyone confirm that it is Diane McBain or am I going crazy?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks