What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (38 Viewers)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yes, I see they've now also pulled it from the Creepy Classics site -- but I'm still awaiting a notice (and/or a refund/credit) from them.

This is the 3rd time that comes to mind within the last couple of years that anticipated titles via Kino have been pulled due to apparent rights snafus (the others being 1964's Witchcraft and 1953's I, the Jury in 3D). This isn't to point the finger of blame at Kino (I blame the studios/rights-holders), but I imagine Kino will find it necessary to ensure all contractual paperwork going forward is bulletproof before promoting a title.

The most frustrating thing to me about these situations is that they don't simply result in a delay while parties return to the negotiating table... they result in a "Never mind..." <_<

The problem isn't usually with the studio or disc label, it's with a third-party that comes out of the woodwork at the last minute with a claim that the studio's lawyers need to investigate. Many times, it's not worth the cost of the legal fees for the studio to contest or negotiate, so they simply cancel the deal with the releasing label instead. We've had it happen with the company I do work for and it's frustrating, but sometimes it can not be avoided.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
The problem isn't usually with the studio or disc label, it's with a third-party that comes out of the woodwork at the last minute with a claim that the studio's lawyers need to investigate. Many times, it's not worth the cost of the legal fees for the studio to contest or negotiate, so they simply cancel the deal with the releasing label instead. We've had it happen with the company I do work for and it's frustrating, but sometimes it can not be avoided.

It's like a game of Wack-a-Mole with some of these extended family members/offspring jumping up to make a claim literally at the 11th hour.

I should clarify my above post: 1953's I, the Jury in 3D was announced by Bob Furmanek though I don't know if he specified Kino as distributor; the rights-holder apparently pulled the rug out from under him after he made the announcement.... a fairly long-ish story which Bob has detailed elsewhere on the board.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
This is the 3rd time that comes to mind within the last couple of years that anticipated titles via Kino have been pulled due to apparent rights snafus (the others being 1964's Witchcraft and 1953's I, the Jury in 3D).

JURY didn't get that far and I never said anything about a potential distributor.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Warner has released these films as a double feature on both Laserdisc and DVD. The Stewart Granger version uses the same script and is almost a shot by shot remake of Coleman’s version.

The Coleman version is superior in all regards and ought to have found its way to Blu-ray by now. But yes, it is with Warners. Would love to see Criterion do this as a triple pack release: the Coleman, Granger and Peter Sellers remakes, with oodles of commentary and extras to boot. Could happen. Probably won't.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
The Coleman version is superior in all regards and ought to have found its way to Blu-ray by now. But yes, it is with Warners. Would love to see Criterion do this as a triple pack release: the Coleman, Granger and Peter Sellers remakes, with oodles of commentary and extras to boot. Could happen. Probably won't.
I'd rather see the silent version along with the Colman, and the Granger versions issued as a triple feature. Novarro makes a great Rupert of Hentzau.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I just pre-ordered Blu-ray set of The Outer Limits Season Two at DeepDiscount 15% off.
It feels like a long time since I watched the Blu-ray of Season One.
For what it's worth, the DD price for Season Two is 45.38. The same item on Amazon Prime is 43.99. Just
sharing this for those like me, for whom every penny counts!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
THE GHOST OF SIERRA DE COBRE Update!

Our Blu-ray and DVD releases of THE GHOST OF SIERRA DE COBRE is NOT cancelled. It will be added back to both KL websites and everywhere else it was removed from. The street date is October 30th.

GHOST.jpg

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks