What's new

KEN RUSSELL Fans!!! Do you want "THE MUSIC LOVERS"?!?!?! (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'd rather MGM release Ken Russell's film of [COLOR= #a52a2a]The Boy Friend[/COLOR].

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
It's interesting to see this thread pop up again after almost two years. Funny thing is, I don't think MGM even followed through in their "Unlock the Vault" contest and release whatever film(s) on DVD that got the most votes. And I seriously doubt they awarded a prize to anyone who voted (as they apparently promised to do based on the 8th post in this thread - it's been so long I don't even remember the details of such a prize).

Then there was the MGM made-on-demand Amazon program a year or so ago, and I had some hope the film would finally come out there. Nope.

Then recently, MGM announced a new MOD arrangement with some new titles offered. Still nothing as far as THE MUSIC LOVERS, but finally some renewed hope.

And now, MGM's library is supposedly going back to Sony (who did NOTHING with it when they controlled the same library some years ago) sometime near September of this year and who knows what will happen now. Sony seems more concerned with James Bond than anything else. Sony did start an excellent MOD program of their own recently, so you never know, but with no marketing whatsoever, I doubt it will flourish.

This film is still #1 on my want-list, but I think I'll just be happy with my DVD-R off the laserdisc. I have some choice words for MGM, but I'll bite my tongue. Anyone who just wants to see the film, it's on Netflix streaming now in widescreen. Resolution is crap, but still worth watching if you've never seen it.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Originally Posted by Thomas T

I'd rather MGM release Ken Russell's film of [COLOR= #a52a2a]The Boy Friend[/COLOR].

I believe Warner Brothers owns THE BOY FRIEND now. So it definitely has a better chance of a release on disc.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
I think the best hope for Ken Russell's films being presented on DVD and Blu-Ray is if they are licensed to Criterion. I know Warner is not likely to do this but maybe someone will see reason. Their absence from the current home video market really needs to be remedied.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
THE MUSIC LOVERS is now available on NETFLIX streaming and it looks fantastic! It is 2.35:1 and in stereo

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Well, finally received my DVD copies of THE MUSIC LOVERS from Amazon today. MGM has finally delivered Ken Russell's masterpiece onto disc, after many years of waiting. The scope transfer looks great and it's preferable over the recent UK pressed disc as the US disc runs at the correct speed (app. 124 minutes) and not sped up for PAL The trailer is also included (at 1.85:1).

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
The Music Lovers 1. Is the disc in stereo? 2. Proper oar framing? 3. include the overture and intermission?

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Paul Rossen said:
The Music Lovers 1. Is the disc in stereo? 2. Proper oar framing? 3. include the overture and intermission?
1. Yes, in Dolby 2/0 stereo. 2. Yes, film is in its oar 2.35:1. 3. I've seen the film several times theatrically and have never seen it presented with an overture or an intermission. The film is only a few minutes over two hours so an intermission seems unlikely, but if you have any info on this, I'd be interested.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I saw The Music Lovers in London way back when. I'm pretty sure it was the summer of 1969 and it was playing Roadshow. The overture consisted of part of one of Tchaikovsky's symphonies(Believe it was the 3rd movement of #6). There was indeed an intermission with an entra'cte though I don't recall which piece played. The sound was definitely more than 2.0 as the surrounds were full especially with the fireworks scene as well as the 1812 Overture. It was such a stunning showing that I went back a second time within 2 days...

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Very interesting, Paul. I had never heard about this before. I don't know if the version you mention with an overture and intermission ever made it to US shores, but I didn't see the film upon its original release here. Maybe it was only for its original UK release? I have never seen any US print (or video transfer) that had an overture or intermission. And at least there's no difference in actual scenes missing from the film. Thanks for the info about this.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
MattH. said:
1969 is too early for the theatrical exhibition of The Music Lovers. It was released in 1971, I think.
The Music Lovers was 'supposedly' released in 1970. I saw it twice Roadshow in August/Sept 1969 London. Whether these were 'special showings or not I don't know. I have no idea if the film had 'officially' opened but it was shown with Overture, Intermission and a dynamic stereo track. It was the same length as it now stands except for the roadshow trappings...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks