Just received Total Movie #5 in the mail...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveGon, Oct 15, 2001.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I know there's another thread on this somewhere but the search function is down. Anyway, I just went out to my mailbox and found Total Movie #5! I was pretty surprised to see it as I had heard nothing about a continuation of my subscription - I'd written it off. Oh well, I'll check it out and let you know what I think about it...
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

So was the disc with it, or do they make you mail off for it as is the case with the newstand version????
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

3. SteveGon

The disc came with the magazine. I've leafed through the magazine and it's not bad - yet neither is it something I'm gonna shell out more money for. I haven't watched the dvd yet. I'll keep ya posted! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.

4. Michael St. Clair

Do magazines get forwarded when you move?

5. SteveGon

Well, you have to let the publisher know that you've moved. [​IMG]
    ------------------

6. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

I was a subscriber to the magazine before, then I moved, and I've tried to contact them, but I have no idea how to. I checked around their web site for contact info, but I came up empty. Out of desperation, I sent them an email in reply to one they sent me, but somehow I doubt that will get the job done.
    Anyone know how to contact them?
    JiM T

7. SteveGon

Try contacting editor Mike Stokes.
    mailto:[email protected]
    ------------------

8. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

ooh you are a tease, give us the lowdown on what's on the disc then!

9. SteveGon

Well, I haven't watched everything on it yet! [​IMG] There are docs on Snow White and Obsession, Francis Ford Coppola talks about the Godfather dvds (video from the big shindig they had in NY), a retrospective on Basket Case, music videos from bands I could care less about (like 311), and a bunch of trailers from movies old and new (including one for the director's edition of Star Trek - The Motion Picture). On side two of the dvd, you get a whole movie - Night of the Living Dead! Of course, the transfer is made with one of those terrible-looking prints that we all know and love....I'll stick with my Elite version, thank you!
    ------------------

10. Michael St. Clair

I thought this movie had been successfully retrieved from Public Domain. Is there still a PD version?
    quote: On side two of the dvd, you get a whole movie - Night of the Living Dead! Of course, the transfer is made with one of those terrible-looking prints that we all know and love....[/quote]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Michael St. Clair on October 16, 2001 at 08:26 AM]

11. SteveGon

Michael, I was thinking the same thing but I don't know the answer either. Anybody?
    ------------------
    [Edited last by SteveGon on October 16, 2001 at 08:29 AM]

12. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

Sorry. Double post.
    [Edited last by Kurt N on October 16, 2001 at 09:03 AM]

13. Kurt N

Kurt N Stunt Coordinator

I also was shocked to get this in the mail yesterday. The disc is included. It's a double-sided disc, not double disc like the last Inside DVD. It's in a cardboard sleeve.
    The movie is Night of the Living Dead, looking better than the version I bought for $5 at Circuit City. Still not great looking, but better than I expected. It also includes a text bio of George Romero. The other side has a press conference with Francis Ford Coppola regarding the DVD release of the Godfather Saga. Fairly interesting.
    There's also a pretty keen documentary on Basket Case--maybe from the Basket Case DVD??? There's a "documentary" on Snow White, which is basically an ad for the disc. If you're considering buying Snow White, this should sell you thr set. There are music videos from 311, Beautiful Creatures, and Eat Static. Also Behind the Scenes with Swnse Field. (Who are these people?)
    It contains trailers for Funeral in Berlin, The Hunter,Marathon Man, Die Hard 2, Enemy at the Gates, Forrest Gump, Ordinary People, Unbreakable, Snow White, A Place in the Sun, Friday the 13 part V, Friday the 13 part VI, Pet Semetary 2, Tales From the Darkside, Carrie, Christina's House, Tremors 3, An American Werewolf in London, Universal's Classic Monsters Series, Monkeybone, Say it Isn't So, Someone Like You, Along Came a Spider, Hannibal, Memento, Obsession, and Star Trek: TMP. Whew.
    The magazine itself has the same look and feel as in the old days. The whole package is much better than I expected, but I don't think I'll be sending them $40 until they've proven they can do it on schedule.
    ------------------
    I suppose you think that's very funny, Harold.
    my DVDs

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Well, I still haven't gotten my #5 issue but sounds like it should be coming pretty soon. I finally bit the bullet last night and put in a subscription so I could get the 40 movies on 20 discs- there's enough there I want that'll make it worth it (Fantastic Planet, Dr. Caligari and a few others) We'll just see if they show up, I won't pay my credit card bill til they do!

15. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

16. Jim Bivins

Jim Bivins Stunt Coordinator

I just recieved my 'limited edition' copy with the rare upside-down, backwards cover! [​IMG]
    I too had a subscription from last year that was incomplete, but finaly recieved this issue...I think I am owed 3 more issues.
    I've breezed through the DVD, and I am a bit disapointed that they don't have any trailers for upcoming theatrical releases...that was always one of my fave parts of the original Total Movie package!
    later
    Jim
    [​IMG]

17. David Benkert

David Benkert Stunt Coordinator

I got mine today and just out of curiousity, did anyone notice the 25 big movies not on DVD or whatever it was called? They mention The Right Stuff as not being on DVD. I have it and was wondering if I was missing something.
    Just curious if anyone else noticed this. I haven't had a chance to check out the disc yet.

18. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

David,
    Yep, I noticed it. A little research woulda helped. Of course, if they had researched, they would have realized that having Schindler's List wasn't out either and I think that would have trumped more than a few titles on the list.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

19. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

Funny how you get nostalgiac for things...
    I was one of the lucky ones who had no problems whatsoever with their subscriptions to the first incarnation of Total Movie, which I thought was a marvelous idea. The magazine was decent, but the first four DVDs were most excellent.
    -- The first time I saw the full HANNIBAL trailer was the Total Movie DVD.
    -- The excellent short films can't be found on DVD anywhere else and were a nice inclusion.
    -- That EXORCIST:TVYNS trailer still creeps me out.
    -- The editor used to be a forum member and actually took our suggestions for a "Play All" option on the trailers. Many a movie party at my house started with the first four TOTAL MOVIE discs.
    The new disc isn't as intuitive and, even though it has some cool content, just doesn't live up to what TOTAL MOVIE was doing in the beginning. Just my opinion, but I don't think it's worth $40.
    ~Jamie

20. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

Got mine yesterday.
    I can't believe that no one has yet commented on the video quality--it's horrific! I realize the previous Total Movies DVD wouldn't win any awards for DVD authoring, but this disc is awful!!!
    Compression artifacts galore, incorrectly encoded anamorphic video (makes everyone look tall and skinny on a 4:3 display even though the display aspect ratio is set correctly), and if you "Auto Play" it seems more like random-play--there is no rhyme or reason to the order of the trailers, extra-features, or music videos.
    All-in-all the only thing that was worth the effort of even putting in the disc was the Star Trek trailer.
    However, I am pleased that Total Movie is honoring its previous subscriptions.
    -Mike
    ------------------
    God Bless America--and all people who stand for freedom.[​IMG]