What's new

Just One Of The Guys, coming to DVD - Full Frame Only (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
There is never a reason for ANY movie to be released on DVD in a non-OAR format. Dual releases are fine, but the OAR version MUST be made available.
I agree, but if a title is only available in open matte, and it is a title you REALLY care about, to not buy it because you are seeing more information (that can be masked off with a widescreen TV) does not make sense.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
But look at some of the titles being complained about, JUST ONE OF THE GUYS, PROBLEM CHILD. Can you even name the directors who made these? We aren't talking favorites of the auteur crowd. No great thought went into the setup of the shots in these movies.

As for putting money in the pockets of a studio, most of these titles are cheapo titles (although not JUST ONE OF THE GUYS, yet). Besides, the more they sell, the more the studio is likely to put out a special edition, done OAR. To ignore the title may mean it will never be released again.
jon if you made a movie and it was on dvd and i wanted it but it was not released oar i wouldnt buy it.
what dif does it make who directed it. just because lucas or speilberg didnt direct doesnt mean it shouldt get the same respect on the dvd release.

i wont buy non oar.
i did buy mad mad world last year because of the same reason you mention.and it was oar.
yes that brings up other issues, that being origional release version or color correct version or even origional sound version. but this thread is about aspect ratio.

Josh L

Stunt Coordinator
Well like I said I purchased this one.

It's the only non-OAR DVD I've ever purchased.

But being one of my favorite 80s movies and since I really don't see CTH ever re-releasing it, I couln't pass it up.

We can always hope I guess.... :frowning:

In the mean time I am happy it is on DVD and is NOT pan & scan.

Is CTH a studio that listens to its consumers?

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I agree, but if a title is only available in open matte, and it is a title you REALLY care about, to not buy it because you are seeing more information (that can be masked off with a widescreen TV) does not make sense.
See my above comment. There's still a chance that shots will be cropped.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here. I just don't want to be required to mask a film to see it the way it was meant to be viewed.

Everyone can do as they please. I'm just stating that for myself, no OAR means no sale.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
I find it funny that people don't understand that EVEN if the ratio have the "right" specs the picture framing CAN BE WRONG ANYWAY!!! I can promise that all these "I won't buy a non-OAR DVD EVEN is it's a open-matte transter" have DVD's that have the WRONG picture framing!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Mattias_ka
so what is your point on that?

so now we shouldnt buy widescreen releases either because it might be wrong ratio?

how often has that happened really?

back to the future, and that was fixed.
a couple of titles in a recent mgm box set, they are also going to be fixed.
i know there are now dvd released that are having a modified aspect ratio like, i think basic or the recruit.
and coppola movies are released with a changed ratio but they are approved by the dp and director.
well i said that in post 78 so what are you saying.
your remarks are not presenting a convincing argument.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Mattias_ka
so what is your point on that?
My point is that what SHOULD be important is that one see the right picture info. So one CAN do a homemade matting with a WS tv and get rather good result.

And I can promise you that there are more DVD's than Back to the future that have been misframed, the problem is that WE don't have the idea what it should look like. If Back to the future never was released in WS on VHS and LD I could promise you that this misframing and recall would not come up.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok but misframed oar dvd's are a totally different issue.
this thread is about getting full frame releases specically just one of the guys released as oar.
or if it isnt to get them released right its about why is it released wrong.

theres no doubt many wide dvd's are released with incorrect framing.

if you start a thread on that i bet many people will post in that and help get those movies reframed,they way BTTF was.

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Useless trivia here...

Joyce Hyser was Bruce Springsteen's squeeze back in the late 70's. I have a boot where he says "This one's for Joyce" before launcing into Thunder Road (I believe)

Sorry if already posted..I didn't read thru the whole thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks