What's new

Just One Of The Guys, coming to DVD - Full Frame Only (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
This is really sad. It's such a cool movie. Hopefully Columbia realizes their mistake and sometime down the road releases a widescreen version, like Warner has done with several titles in the past. The full-screen version is over $17 on Amazon. No way am I paying so much for a non-OAR film with zero extras (oh yeah "bonus trailers" ha! - not even the film's own trailer, thanks...). Damn I'm pissed. I was looking to owning this when the news first broke... :frowning:

ashley c

Stunt Coordinator
I guess this movie is the opposite of the one where that guy dresses up as a girl. I think it was called
Just one of the Girls ?

All i remember is the changeroom scene.. :b

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
A proper DVD release begins and ends with the *presentation* of the film. If that's out of whack then all the bells and whistles in the world won't make a lick of difference.
All very true, but one needn't pretend that MAR DVDs and VHS are equals in order to prove this point.

DJ

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
Columbia has to be one of the worst studios out there.

Yesterday I was looking at DVDs in borders, and I was looking at the backs of a couple of Columbia DVDs and the back special feature said remastered in high definition , full screen presentation. :angry:

WTF is wrong with this studio that they would go to the troubl to make a high def transfer and then put out a FS DVD. :thumbsdown: :confused:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Which is sad, because they USED TO be one of the best- 95% of all their titles were either both formats or widesreen-only- so far nobody's explained what the hell happened over there.

JamesHromadka

Stunt Coordinator
If you like the film, you probably never saw it in the theatre or even cared when watching that it wasn't OAR on cable. So why care now? IT IS JUST ONE OF THE GUYS!!
I never saw North to Alaska, Willy Wonka, or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in the theater and only could see them on TV, and I didn't buy them until they came out in OAR on DVD.

With that attitude, there would be no reason to release any catalog DVDs in OAR.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Of course there is the possibility that an OAR version would crop off some unintended nippleage from the bottom of the frame ;)

Put me in the category of those who would of picked this one up as a guilty pleasure, had it been OAR. I don't care what caliber of movie it is. It's the principal of the matter, I DO NOT purchase MAR dvds.

Thanks again Columbia

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I would pick this up as a guilty pleasure, even though it's in pan and scan, if the price was right. I've purchased many P&S DVDs for the right price, I'd rather have the movie than not at all. But I can't justify a P&S DVD for that exorbitant amount. If it were below $10, sure (like Can't Buy Me Love) but not for $20+.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
A couple of thoughts:

1. Open Matte, if it's done right, can be OAR...if you zoom it in on your widescreen TV. This doesn't work with all titles, but I've got a few open matte discs that look very well framed when zoomed in (Grumpy Old Men, Doc Hollywood, My Fellow Americans).

2. I really wish people would quit saying "if you don't care about OAR, just stick with VHS." Is it so hard to understand that there are many advantages to DVD besides OAR? For example:

- Better audio/video quality, which doesn't degrade with multiple viewings
- No need to rewind
- Switchable subtitles
- Extra features, such as deleted scenes and trailers
- Random access (ability to skip chapters without waiting for the tape to FF/Rewind)

Do I really need to go on? Just because we THINK they're stupid for preferring fullscreen doesn't mean they actually ARE stupid. Please, I really don't think it helps the OAR cause to take this attitude.

3. I still always prefer OAR. This decision by CTHE has taken this from a probable BUY to a possible RENT for me. If they get my money, it's going to be laundered by NetFlix first.;)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Well folks, we've found it at last... The one movie I'll buy even in foolscreen :b

And I ain't apologizin' :D

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
sorry to say it but same here ....i dont see columbia doing a reissue on this one any time soon ...
Not with that line of thinking, imagine if everyone thought the same about "Willy Wonka" when Warner did a FF only release.

Don't buy it then write a letter to Columbia explaining why. If you cause a big enough stir, you never know what might happen.

It seems that you guys are just giving up. :frowning:

Columbia will just continue doing FF only DVDs for catalog titles. For such a pro-OAR forum as HTF, I'm really surprised that some of you are taking such a stance.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Best scene of the 80s: Phoebe Cates in FAST TIMES, or Joyce Hyser in JUST ONE OF THE GUYS?

A toss-up?

This might be a rental just for that experience again.

MC

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Is a non-OAR DVD better than VHS? You actually have to ask that? Of course it's not better, it's the same thing.
I'm sorry, but you can't mean that. VHS wears out on each viewing. It can get stuck in your VCR, the tape can get rewound wrong and ruined. Not to mention picture and sound quality, getting to a certain scene, skipping over scenes etc.

Not to mention durability. I've got VHS tapes that are 20 years old that are falling apart, I'm afraid to play them in fear of it being the last time I can play them. DVDs don't fall apart.

As for the "If you aren't OAR or nothing, stick to VHS" snobbery, that is ridculous. I've got several hundred DVDs, close to 1000 by now. All of those are OAR when I was given a choice of the two. But I also have no problem buying a non-OAR disc when I don't have a choice.

I've also realized being around VHS, laser, CD etc that films and music go out of print and in a few years, may be hard to find. 10 years from now, when your VHS is worn out, and you refused to buy the now out of print non OAR DVD, how else are you going to see it? There are many now out of print VHS and laser and CDs that I wish I had bought, but never got around to and are now gone.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I'm not giving up, Michael, it just seems like this type of movie will never get the proper treatment (lack of proper film elements, not enough expected profits, etc), and I doubt there are enough fans of this one to build a succesful campaign around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks