What's new

Just got Toshiba 4700 (1 Viewer)

ChrisVenaccio

Auditioning
I bought it to be an introduction to DVD-Audio technology. I have a few DVD-Audio discs that I am using in my current DVD player utilizing the dolby digital compatible tracks.
There's two odd things about the 4700 player.
1. I have Philip Glass' 'Koyaanisqatsi' and Ton Koopman's 'Bach Organ Spectacular' on DVD-A. Both are marked on the case for Dolby Digital, Advanced Resolution Surround and Advanced Resolution Stereo. When I put the disc in the Toshiba, I cannot access the Advanced Resolution Stereo. I can toggle between two mixes on the disc, but both read 6 Channel PPCM and there's no difference. I have no idea what the deal is here.
2. The dropouts. Koyaanisqatsi is one continuous piece of music with track markings. Whenever the player hits a track marking, there's a second of silence and then it resumes with the first second of the next track. Major issue. I tried several DVD's and the sound doesn't do that on the DVD's. Hence, I'm perplexed.
If anybody has any insight to these two issues, please post here. Needless to say, I'm going to take this thing right back to Best Buy. I'm not sure if the issues I am having are from a faulty unit or it's just a sign of the quality.
My rating - el sucko.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I don't think this player has multichannel DVD-A capabilities. Isn't it just 192kh/24bit PCM only ?

JonDeutsch

Grip
>I don't think this player has multichannel DVD-A capabilities. Isn't it just 192kh/24bit PCM only ?
Nah. The DVD-A spec requires both 192/24 for 2-channel and 96/24 for 6 channel. What Chris is saying is that he was unable to get the 4700 to go into "2-channel DVD-A" mode to realize the full resolution.
------------------
Jon
Link Removed
Link Removed
Coming Soon:
http://toptentech.com
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks