Blue Man Group DVD-A and subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff O., Feb 14, 2003.

1. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

I just got the DVD-A of Blue Man Group and I really like it. There is one weird thing though. In the interviews the voices are coming out of my subwoofer and it is hard to understand. Also, in the setup screen area the center channel comes through the subwoofer. Is this a problem with the disk or my players decoding of it (Toshiba 4700)?

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

More likely you have reversed the CC and Subwoofer connections on the DVD-A or receiver side.

Regards,

3. Jeff O.

John,
    Thanks for the quick reply. However, I am 99% sure that everything is hooked up OK. When I set up the Toshiba, I went through the calibration and everything was in the correct channels. I will check again tonight when I get home just to make sure. Also, the music sounds fine with lots of deep base from the subwoofer. Has anyone run the little setup section on this disk?
    Jeff

4. Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW Stunt Coordinator

I've run the setup on this disk (It's pretty funny for anyone who hasn't already done it, particularly the speaker polarity comment). Everything is fine on my system... it really sounds like you have the centre and sub switched.

5. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    Had you switched back to using the Bitstream output from the player, or were you still listening via the 6-channel output? If the latter, then it'd sound strange because you'd hear only the front 2 channels and the audio that would normally have been sent to the center channel or rears would be lost. The dialog would be indistinct and difficult to understand, but should not come from the subwoofer.

In fact I just tried listening to the Blue Man interviews on my Toshiba 4700 with the 6-channel audio mode selected, and it did indeed sound odd like I'd described above. Just switch back to the Bitstream mode on the Toshiba and the digital input on your receiver, and it'll fix the odd audio.

6. Jeff O.

OMG, I can't believe how dumb I was and that I am actually admitting this. Thanks for all of your help. John, as usual, you were right on the money. I had my subwoofer and center cables switched. I can't believe that I have been listening to DVD-A all this time and hadn't noticed it (I must have around 15 disks). I guess the Magnepans image so well that I didn't notice the lack of a center channel. However, I was getting bass from the subwoofer that was in the center channel. I still can't believe it. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time last night re-listening to a lot of disks. Also, you probably don't remembter John, but I had problems with the Pat Metheny disk and started a thread about it quite awhile ago (there was noise and clicking in the center channel). Well, it must have been sending some low bass to the center that it couldn't handle. Now, the disk plays fine.