What's new

just got myself a Paradigm system...(suggestions wanted) (1 Viewer)

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
they're not ordering it til monday, but here's what i went with:

Monitor 7s
ADP-70s
CC-170
PDR-10

so there it is. they worked with me to keep the set up within my budget, so i'm getting all that for $1200. if i wanted to spend about $200 more, what would you recommend doing - upgrading the center? the sub? the surrounds? which would sound best?

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
Mike -

Let us know how you like the ADP-70's. I thought they were good in the store, but they turned out to be too diffuse for my liking in my HT. I exchanged 'em for 4 Atoms (rear L/R and rear centers), and that worked out better for me.

I agree that you ought to get the matching center channel with those monitors though. Is the matching center for the monitors the CC-370? If so, I hope you have a nice solid place to set that monster! :)

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
No question, get the matching CC-370 center speaker. The CC-170 is from the Performance line, not the Monitor line. It is a good match for Atom and Titan speakers, but doesn't sound anything like the Monitor 7 mains you're getting.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
alright - i'll look into the center speaker

how do you think that sub will do with that set up? how much do you think i'd be looking at if i went with all the recommended matching components?

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Since the Monitor 7s goes down to 33hz already and the pdr10 only to 27hz. That's pretty close to buying your bass twice. I'd skip the sub for now and put that money toward saving up for a sub that will take you under 20hz. Such as Adire, Hsu, SVS, and the like.

If you like direct over di-polar the Mini-Monitors are a better match than Atoms. This will be especially important if you listen to music in a surround format. If you see SACD or DVD-A in your future(or have it now) get the Mini-Monitors.

Get the CC370. Remember around 80% of a movie's sound is on the CC. You want it timbre matched so that when sound goes from one side to the other it doesn't change when it reaches the CC and again when it reaches the other side.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, i'd get the right center, save for a great sub, instead of just a good one(the digm subs are good bargains still though, but an SVS will crush the small pdrs). As for surrounds.... hmm i dunno.

I personally, because i'm more a music nut than a theater nut, and the movies I watch are all old and not state-of the art (mono anyone?) I'd get studio series for the fronts instead, and slash the rest back(because i could care less if i have 5 identical speakers if i'm watching some Kurosawa flick horribly transferred, in B&W and mono). That's just me, and I don't reccomend that for most people, but it's just another idea to throw into the mix.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
as long as i have you hear talking paradigm stuff, my curiosity is getting the best of me and i'm wondering how much the following would cost:

Monitor 7s
CC-370
ADP-370s
PW2200

the paradigm website says $2266 - $2546, but i was wondering how much dealers will typically discount for buying all that together from them. any idea?

also - do you think it's best for me to get the system i ordered and try it out, or try to make a quick upgrade before the make the order? i really only got to listen to the speakers today, cause the dealer specializes in custom jobs, so they only had a limited selection. those front speakers blew me away though

one last question - being that i'm getting dipole surrounds...what's the best placement for those? i suppose the corner of a room wouldn't be optimal, as the rear driver would just shoot the sound into the wall?

and with all this talk about upgrading subs and a center and all - does this only apply to super serious home theater freaks? i mean, will the common person be able to tell that something's out of whack between my center speaker and my mains? i'll use the system more for music, which is why i went with the Monitor 7s in the first place, and i just tried to build a respectable home theater around it...

i was totally stoked about my purchase when i first ordered it today...and now i'm getting the feeling that i'm getting the wrong stuff :frowning:

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I'd find somewhere that you can listen to the 170 CC with the Monitor 7 and make that judgment for yourself.

I believe the ADPs should be on the side wall even with your listening position. Maybe someone who likes di-poles can verify. Have you listened to di-poles and direct and decided for yourself which you like better? Or are you just going by the salesperson's recommendations?

Should be able to get 10-15% off of MSRP w/o a problem. Remember you've got to ask for a deal.

I know getting all this stuff is very exciting but slowing down a little and doing some research will eliminate nagging doubts later.

BTW what is your receiver or amp?

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
Mike -

It might be too late if you've already placed your order, but you could try to find out about auditioning the speakers for a little while in your home. The dealer I bought from had a very stingy "official" auditioning period -- just 3 days. But I talked to the owner, and he told me that since I didn't seem like I was out to screw them over, he'd agree to a different term. I got my Paradigm setup (Atoms + CC-170 + ADP-170 + PDR-10) with a 14 day audition on the ADP-170's.

I'm glad I did, because after a week or so, I became convinced that the dipole's weren't for me. I brought them back and they were happy to exchange them for 2 pairs of Atoms. No questions asked. You should ask your dealer about their auditioning policy.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
i'll definitey ask about the audition policy. he told me that if i didn't like them, they'd exchange them...but didn't set a time limit. i'll inquire about that tomorrow.

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
OK,
I have almost your the exact set-up you asked about moving up to. ie:
Monitor 9's
CC-370
ADP-370
SW-2200

Here are my thoughts...Definitely get the cc-370, you want it timbre matched. Second, if I had it to do over again, I'd get direct surrounds. I find that i prefer the direct sound to the diffuse sound of the ADP's. As for positioning of the ADP's though, you should mount them directly to the sides of the primary listening area so that you sit in the speakers null area.
The sw-2200 kicks butt! I've listened to many different subs, although admittedly, not the SVS's, and the 2200 has all the low extension and volume of the best I heard, but it is so much more musical you wouldn't believe it. I am still amazed every time I listen to music with it how, tight, controled and musical it is.
If I were on a limited budget here is what I would do....
Get the monitor 7's and cc-370. Save some money and get some direct surrounds from the performance line (Atom's maybe? I'm not too familiar with this line) and save my money for the SW-2200 if I couldn't afford it right now.

Steve

MikeTrotter

Agent
I would also get the CC-370 for timbre matching across the front.The rears will be a toss up until you can get them up and running.I started out with the ADP's,but learned very fast they were not going to work in my room.I took them back and got mini's for rears.If you listen to any type of multi channel music you may want to change the rears.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Steve's advice is very sound. Atoms would be fine for surrounds, and timbre matching the center is much more important than the surrounds. While i like the PW2200, I like the servo 15 a lot more. And while I like the servo 15 a LOT, it is what, $1500? SVS runs with it in all respects, for FAR less. If I hadn't heard an SVS (which i now own pci20-39), I would 100% agree with steve to save up for the 2200, or the servo 15, they are both great subs and still a bargian, and well worth it. Fortunately I took a gamble on an SVS. Keep in mind that a pci series, the 25-31, or 20-39 is still cheaper than a pw220, and better. The pw220 does kick butt, the svs kicks a bigger butt farther, and does it for less money. Ok, that metaphor sucked, but you got the idea right? :D

And i am still a big fan of the digm subs, i think they are still very solid bargains. If you really don't trust me (yeah, i have shifty eyes and an odd stare :crazy: ), and like auditioning subs too before buying, than you will be totally happy with the pw220.

And mike, no matter what, you are going to be EXTREMELY happy when you get this system home, whatever it is you end up getting. Don't have buyers remorse. If you are very picky about these kinds of things though, you might hold your order for now, and do some more thorough auditioning if you want, but i'm sure that you will be wonderfully satisfied with your system. :emoji_thumbsup:

MikeTrotter

Agent
Mike,forgot to mention.You can cut your cost by going with diff. rears.The ADP 370's are very pricey.And as far as sub you can go with the PDR 12 for now.Which should cut cost even more.Try this setup
CC 370
Monitor 7'S
Mini's for rears
PDR 12 Sub
I've had that setup for a year until 6 months ago I added a SVS 25-31PC+ sub.I only use the svs when watching a new movies.The PDR 12 should do you nicely until more funds come availabe.Good Luck and Happing shopping.

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
Mike Matthews,

Did you receive my PM about your location? Had a good friend that I grew up with with your name.

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
i didn't - i actually cant figure out how to check them on this message board. that's not my real name, it's my radio name

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
OK,

Then you are not the gentleman I thought. Sorry for the interuption of your thread :)

On the home page in the upper right hand corner look for: Private Message Area

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks