What's new

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (June 22, 2018) (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Well I have to say I was quite disappointed really. I'm a huge fan of the director - A Monster Calls and The Orphanage were both five star films for me - and I enjoyed Jurassic World well enough, but this was in many ways similar to the step down from the original to the Lost World.

Too many callbacks to the original, including repeat scenarios etc - the last one already reminded me that there are only so many ways you can run from a dinosaur and it seems they've run out of ideas.

I suppose at least the inevitable sequel sets up something a bit different. It wasn't dreadful but all it really did was remind me how good the original film was. 5 films in and they have NEVER topped that initial T-Rex sequence.

2 1/2 out of 5

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
After a delay of 2 days I finally saw this. I saw it in a Dolby Theater. It was my first.

The presentation was absolutely amazing. It felt like it's the first time I'm going to a theater. It was in 3D.

The solution for 3D is not high frame rate as James Cameron wants, it is High Dynamic Range. It never occurred to me. It did not look like other 3D movies where you can see there are 2 images projected and unsuccessfully combined. This is the best compliment I can give, it looked like one 2D image but with depth. Everything looked crisp and clear.

So that was the biggest surprise to me. How the 3D was so successful in HDR. I had already seen HDR at home but only 2D.

The theater is a little far but I'm going to Dolby Theaters from now on.
Unfortunately in the US there are no 3D showings in Dolby Cinemas. AMC is the exclusive provider of Dolby Cinemas and they are refusing to show any movie in them in 3D.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
No, you can see 2 images without glasses.

What I mean is that with normal 3D movies, even with glasses you can guess it's 2 images. It's kind of fuzzy and not 100% aligned. (The impression you get, even if it is)

In Dolby Theater, the image (with 3D glasses) looked 100% aligned, it looked prefect and as sharp as a 2D image.
I’ve never experienced the 2 images in the theater or at home. Perhaps you have exceptionally good vision.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No, I don't have good vision. You mean with 3D glasses on? Everyone experiences that. That's why people hate 3D so much. That's why many people get headaches. The image is not 100% perfect. Otherwise why do you think people hate 3D so much?

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I actually haven’t run into anyone who “hates 3D so much”. Mostly people seem to not find the process interesting enough to bother with.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've heard it from so many people, the reason 3D is dead at home and many people say they don't like it, is because it is uncomfortable.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Watched this last night in good old fashioned 2D. I'll catch it in 3D when it pops up on blu-ray.

My spoiler free review.

A different direction for the franchise, the previous 4 were all kinda similar, this one will divide fans.

The first ever 'gothic' dinosaur movie.

Some of the imagery will stay with you long after the movie was over.

There is a scene involving a large dinosaur which might draw tears.

There is a large variety of dinosaurs, you get your money's worth on dino-action.

The first Jurassic Park is still the best if only because of it's simplicity, 'theme park gone awry', and it was the first time we saw photo-realistic dinosaurs on screen. Spielberg directed the best in the series and also the worst IMO.

I give Fallen Kingdom 4 stars out of 5. It's a thrill ride well worth seeing on the big screen. Might not be what you're expecting though especially if you want same old same old.

Short mild spoiler ahead

'Jurassic Mansion' - might be an apt title for this entry in the series.

jurassic-fallen-kingdom-trailer-1-970.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
We will be in the Dallas area next weekend SO got our tickets in the AMC Dolby Cinema Theater. Its a great one! Saw Rogue One there and loved it.

Looking forward to it. Really considered IMAX but I just find the Dolby theater to be a bit more involving and SOOOOO comfy :)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I liked but didn't love this movie. Not as good as the first Jurassic World. I am with Spielberg in preferring 1.85 for the Jurassic movie as the scope framing didn't work well for me after just reviewing the series on UHD. I would rank the Jurassic movies as:

1. Jurassic Park
2. Jurassic World
3. Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom
4. Jurassic Park III
5. The Lost World: Jurassic Park

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The best description I think in term of mood is if Jurassic World is Jurassic Park, this is The Lost World.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The best description I think in term of mood is if Jurassic World is Jurassic Park, this is The Lost World.
It's not possible that it's that bad. ;)

$15.3 million from Thursday previews (Jurassic World earned $18.5m). Plus it's already over $450m worldwide before it even opened here.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Unfortunately in the US there are no 3D showings in Dolby Cinemas. AMC is the exclusive provider of Dolby Cinemas and they are refusing to show any movie in them in 3D.
Not true

I recently saw Titanic in 3D in Dolby Cinema.

And I Indrpendence Day Resurgence in 3D before that.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My one-word review of "Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom": Aimless.
I had a great time at my 3-D viewing and was rooting out loud each time one of the bad characters got theirs. Lots of fun for me! I'm going to see it again in the near future.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, right off the bat, my fear on this movie was confirmed, that it was a soft remake of the The Lost World. But to the movie’s credit, it did what I always thought to be the impossible and that is to be an even worse movie than TLW. And this I tell you brothers, it did in spades. Every bleeding heart, liberal worldview cliche in the book. Pretty much every hackneyed writing cliche in the book. Completly banal/irritating supporting characters. Obligatory barely veiled digs at a certian world leader. Completely stupid “twist”. The one shred of redeeming quality it had was that it set up an interesting premise for the next movie.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I had a great time at my 3-D viewing and was rooting out loud each time one of the bad characters got theirs. Lots of fun for me! I'm going to see it again in the near future.

See that’s what pissed me off about the movie. Why does there have to be cartoonishly evil characters? The original JP had some morally weak characters, but nobody (even Nedry) as caracatured as in this one.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
There is a scene involving a large dinosaur which might draw tears.

If you mean tears because of my retinas nearly detaching from my eyes trying to roll so far to the back of my head, I agree.

There is a large variety of dinosaurs, you get your money's worth on dino-action.

One thing that immediately pissed me off

in the opening scene there’s a hooting audio cue that made me think that they were going to bring back one of those spitting lizards, but nope. I thought one of those appearing again would have been a cool surprise. Why did none of the other movies ever bring them back? I liked them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks