What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Jurassic World: Dominion (June 10, 2022) (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
June 11th, 2022 Saturday

Jurassic World: Dominion
IMAX
Dolby Atmos
Regal Cinema / IMAX / South Gate, California

20220611_102235.jpg

20220611_102247.jpg

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Ok some more observations

No way is Chris Pratt perfectly lassoing that Dino in the beginning (the shape of its head alone would make it impossible) and with a regular rope. Remember in TWL all the custom gear they had to use to corral the Dinos (and even then it wasn’t easy)

Clone girl resents BDH and not Chris Pratt, why?

Blue and Blue Jr. traipsing through the woods while pleasant music plays. I thought raptors were supposed to be scary

So they use laser beams again to mark a target for killer dinosaurs, but then they just chase the target forever, even after going for miles and getting hit by cars and stuff they never give up the chase. What happens if the person with the laser wants to call off an attack?

Ian Malcolm works for Lewis Dodgston, yeah no (even if he was trying to bring it down from the inside, he’s just apparently waiting for the day that Laura Dern shows up)

Chris Pratt and the other woman surviving that plane crash without literally a single hair out of place?! F that! Way beyond suspension of disbelief, sorry, find another way to separate Pratt and BDH

Another Apex big bad predator that’s indistinguishable from the last one, Yawn!!

The shaving cream can. I suppose we are to presume it’s the original one that Nedry lost in the first movie. How the hell did Dodgston end up with it (And don’t tell me it was it‘s explained in a JP video game)

So where Pratt and BDH live, it’s winter because there is snow on the ground, but when they get back at the end with Blue Jr. all the snow has melted, how long between escaping the Tim Cook complex and returning back home?

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I’m writing the pitch meeting, anyone feel free to help out

“So, you have a Jurassic Park sequel for me?”
“Yes, sir I do”….remember at the end of the last one where dinosaurs and humans had to live in the same world and surfers were being eaten and raptors were roaring with lions”

“Of course, humans and dinosaurs living together is TIGHT!, but yeah so many story possibilities. I mean it’s literally what the whole series was leading up to”

“Yeah, but i’m going to kind of go in a different direction and ignore all of that”

“Wait, what?’”

“Yeah, I’ve decided that the main plot driver is going to be about locusts from “The Mist”!

“But why, you already have dinosaurs living with humans”

“I’m going to need your to get way off my back about this”

“Ok”

Later

“And Chris Pratt and the other woman are on an old airplane that is about to crash”

“Wow it’s going to be super hard for them to survive!”

“Actually it’s going to be super easy, barely an inconvenience, we’re just going to have them survive with literally not a scratch on either of them”

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Here’s the problem as I see it with the Jurassic movies: I don’t know what I want from them. I don’t want a retread of the first one, or the second, or… You get the idea. So I went into this not knowing what I thought it should be.

And, for sure, the novelty has worn off. There was not one moment of wonder in this like the many that were in the first one, nearly 30 years ago.

But I think that’s okay. I liked that this movie finally integrated the casts of the two “trilogies.” It was neat to see them together, and they played off each other well, particularly Bryce Dallas Howard and Laura Dern.

The movie also lacked the kind of nail-biting suspense that we saw in other films, such as the RVs-over-the-cliff segment in The Lost World.

That’s also okay. The story was at least intriguing and built upon where we’ve seen the series go. I liked the international espionage aspect of it, since it seems realistic. People would be knocking each other over to get an advantage with these animals.

The young girl who played Maisie (whose only other credit was the last Jurassic movie) was very good. I liked her a lot and thought she stole a lot of scenes. The only problem with her story (and it’s a big one): Why didn’t her genius mother cure herself when she cured her baby? It sure seems like the same kind of genetic manipulation would’ve worked on an adult. And why didn’t she leave more detailed notes so her work could be replicated? They all seemed so surprised by the novelty of her work, but we’re pretty close to this now in real life with tools like CRISPR.

Jeff Goldblum was terrific, a highlight as always. Howard and Dern were also great. Howard’s scene hiding from the big dinosaur in the jungle was the highlight of the film. Only Chris Pratt and Sam Neill were underserved by the story. But hey, Neill looks amazing for 75, so good on him.

I don’t what else to do with these movies, unless you send the dinos into space (just kidding— don’t do that!). But I didn’t know what to do with them this time either, and against the odds, they made a picture I enjoyed. Sure, it lacked the intellectual ideas of the first, as well as the suspense and wonder, but the characters as we know them were engaging and their plights carried the movie.

I guess what I really wanted from a Jurassic movie was for it to be fun, and this one was, so that’s a win in my book.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
June 11th, 2022 Saturday

Jurassic World: Dominion
IMAX
Dolby Atmos
Regal Cinema / IMAX / South Gate, California
Is there such thing as an IMAX presentation with Dolby Atmos ? The two companies have their own proprietary sound systems.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Howard’s scene hiding from the big dinosaur in the jungle was the highlight of the film.

For me that was the only scene that generated any tension.

I think I’d just like to see one of these movies attempt to be scary again. The last 5 of these movies overemphasized action over scares. More stalking/hunting, slower pacing on attack sequences, that kind of thing

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Anyone seen the 3D version? Worthwhile?
I saw it in 2D but there wasn't much that I saw that made me think that I should have seen it in 3D. There were a number of times when I saw Doctor Strange in 2D that I thought "Man, I bet this looks good in 3D!" That being said, there's no guarantee of a 3D release for anything anymore so if you want to see JW in 3D, this might literally be your only chance so I'd say to spend the extra $3 and see it in 3D. :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
BTW, what does the poster mean "the end of the Jurassic era"?

What's the next one called? Triassic World? Cretaceous Park?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I imagine it's just what they think is a clever way to signal the end of the current trilogy. I doubt they've given any thought to possible titles for a future film, and whether or not it will include "Jurassic" in the title.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Is there such thing as an IMAX presentation with Dolby Atmos ? The two companies have their own proprietary sound systems.

Yeah I think you’re right. I was going to bring it up but wasn’t entirely sure.

I’ve never seen an Imax branded theater screen with Atmos.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I saw it in 2D but there wasn't much that I saw that made me think that I should have seen it in 3D. There were a number of times when I saw Doctor Strange in 2D that I thought "Man, I bet this looks good in 3D!" That being said, there's no guarantee of a 3D release for anything anymore so if you want to see JW in 3D, this might literally be your only chance so I'd say to spend the extra $3 and see it in 3D. :)

The 3D was nothing to write home about here, if you skip the 3D you’re not missing much. However they did show the trailer for Avatar 2 and it got me thinking “I may actually have to go see this” I have no idea if it actually has a story (you couldn’t tell by the trailer) but it looked good.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Your most likely right and I think I just put in in by default not thinking about DTS being in cinemas. Heck I have not been to a theater very many times since the pandemic. It has been awhile since I have gone to see 3 movies within a 30 day time frame.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
The 3D was nothing to write home about here, if you skip the 3D you’re not missing much. However they did show the trailer for Avatar 2 and it got me thinking “I may actually have to go see this” I have no idea if it actually has a story (you couldn’t tell by the trailer) but it looked good.
The 3D format accounted for around 25% of worldwide ticket sales. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I saw it in IMAX 3D and it might have been the worst presentation I’ve seen in that format. A waste of the 3D format imo.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
because the critics, as normal, are either brainless, or have agendas.
That might be the case at times. However, I also think it's because movie audiences are more acceptable to movies being released for pure entertainment value instead of just concentrating on critical thought about them. It's similar reasoning why today, it seems like most Oscar winning films don't generate great box office receipts while movies that do bring in the dollars are basically ignored by the Academy. It's probably why the Oscar ratings are down because most movies that get such awards are not generating excitement among the masses. They might be better films than box office champions, but they're not as entertaining to the general public.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexj-12
Recent bookmarks