What's new

Josh's Blind Buys: Watching The Unseen Collection (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm a huge John Wayne fan. He is by far by favorite actor of all-time. Though, I do have a strong affinity for Bogart and Cagney. Anyhow, I grew up in the 1960s going to the movies to watch every one of his films made during that time and up until he died. However, I have a confession to make, I never really cared for The Cowboys. It's not a bad film, but it is one of my least favorite John Wayne films. I just never connected with that film.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
After your comments on the other thread on the German BD of The Shootist, I've ordered that.

I also ordered the US release of McLintock! The description sounded fun.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
After your comments on the other thread on the German BD of The Shootist, I've ordered that.

Josh, just be aware that there are two Blu-rays of McLintock! !

I have the Paramount disc, which is very nice. I've read that the Olive disc is OK, but not quite as good. The Paramount is cheaper too - at Amazon anyway.

...and where is David? This thread is great, but his absence has, for me, been the difference between this and the Cary Grant wonder-thread. You two made awesome co-hosts on that thread.

[Edit: that sounded mean-spirited. Not intended to be at all, as I am greatly enjoying this thread as my new go-to thread. And everyone is welcome to post or not post as their heart desires]

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
David's always a welcome partner in crime. I'm always happy to read whatever he's got to say. I've really enjoyed all of the feedback so far, it's been exceptionally thoughtful. And I'm very happy to have you here as well! Don't underestimate your own contributions to this or the other thread.

My order for McLintock was for the Paramount one, thanks for looking out for me. :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Enjoyed all of your reviews today, Josh, and thanks so much for them. Not much left to say about the sad Love Happy. Rio Bravo is also a favorite, and I agree the disc is quite brown (though the sharpness is superb). If you want to see a variation of Rio Bravo, watch El Dorado. James Caan plays the Ricky Nelson role, and it's fun, too, though no one can beat Walter Brennan and for me he makes the difference between the two films (same star, same director, same basic story).

I haven't seen The Hindenburg since its original theatrical release, so I'll reserve judgment until I can see it with more mature eyes. I do remember at the time thinking it was just a bit dull compared to The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I think The Cowboys is the first John Wayne film I saw back in the 70's. It helps that I was the age of the kids in the film. It blew me away.

Then came the ABC short lived series with much of the original cast. I think it lasted one season.

I have a memory that when the series was getting getting ready to air that ABC showed the film a week or so ahead of it and they had a commercial with John Wayne plugging the upcoming TV show that ended with him saying something like "I'm not in it, but I think you'll like it."

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I bet they will. Unless you are so disciplined to know exactly what you like.

My mistake is buying contemporary films that I miss in the theater but was attracted to the trailer. I watch and then think, "meh." And there they sit on my shelf mocking me. I'm in the middle of reorganizing my media...so I think I am going to include a good weeding of some of that stuff.

I have been making a concerted effort to avoid blind buying a lot of contemporary films the past few years. I used to do this a lot in the days of cheap release date DVD's, but I have gotten better during the BD era. I will still buy some, but usually after checking out several reviews to determine the odds that I will like the film. There is not the same incentive to buy discs during their initial release, as the days of "loss leaders" is long gone. Usually waiting a few months after a title is released results in a much better price. Some titles I just end up renting via streaming.

I only have two films current unwatched -- Forrest Gump, which I bought during a sale last fall and have not been in the mood to watch, and the UHD release of John Wick, which I just bought and may hold off on watching until I get a UHD player. Our unwatched list consists mostly of TV series, which take us quite a while to get through due to the number of episodes. I think we are just part way through about 5 or 6 different TV on DVD/BD series, some of which I bought as long as two years ago.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I think you will really like The Shootist, Josh. It's a much different John Wayne western, but it's a touching performance. The supporting cast is terrific, as well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Josh, I read most of your review of The Enemy Below, a film I've not seen yet. I've heard of it recently when a co-worker said it is his father's favorite film. In looking into it, I see another thread that reviews the Japanese imported blu-ray from 2015 or so. Sounds like that's a superior transfer. Though I'm leaning on collecting the Lorber disc. The comparison to Star Trek's Balance of Terror is an interesting one and definitely a good reason to see the film!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I think The Cowboys is the first John Wayne film I saw back in the 70's. It helps that I was the age of the kids in the film. It blew me away.

Then came the ABC short lived series with much of the original cast. I think it lasted one season.

I never saw the TV series but would love to. THE COWBOYS is my favorite John Wayne movie. And one of my favorite John Williams soundtracks.

Is it out anywhere? That sounds like something for Warner Archives. I'd watch it.

Actually, watching the kids in The Cowboys reminded me a little of the Mickey Mouse Club serial "The Adventures of Spin and Marty" - the show was more innocent and modern but I enjoyed them in a similar way.
I like John Wayne's The Cowboys too, it's pretty good late career Duke...I barely remember the TV spin off, but for those who enjoy early '70s TV Westerns, almost seeming at the time to be the last hurrah for the genre, until sporadic revivals of varying effect... I can recommend two series contemporary to The Cowboys TV series, (which itself is not yet released)...Alias Smith and Jones ('71-'73), an obvious TV clone of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...starring Peter Duel, Ben Murphy and Roger Davis as the leads, and an astonishing coterie of Hollywood Golden Era Westerns Guest Stars, Broderick Crawford,Rory Calhoun, Slim Pickens, etc...Walter Brennan, Burl Ives, Chill Wills, J.D. Cannon and Sally Fields are recurring characters...it's often done for laughs, but not over the top silly and with great action...the complete 50 hour episode series is available as a 10 DVD set from TMG/Shout!...and very affordable...

Likewise, the 1971 series Bearcats!...starring Rod Taylor and Dennis Cole...another fun Western set in 1914 during the Pancho Villa raid and Pershing border campaign and early lead up to WW1...Rod Taylor and Dennis Cole ripping around in a Stutz Bearcat autocar, fighting Villa's raiders, Mescaleros, Bandits and German interlopers making mischief for the Kaiser...13 one hour episodes also available from TMG/Shout! as a 3 disc DVD set, and once again, very cheap...

My absolute favorite early '70s Western is the Great Ulzana's Raid ('72) with Burt Lancaster, Bruce Davison and Richard Jaeckel...available as a decent Universal Vault DVD MOD...wish that was on blu-ray...Ulzana's Raid is among my absolute favorite Burt Lancaster films, which says a lot about this stunning, brutal and beautiful film...

I too enjoy your reviews, Josh...and everyone's comments too...

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thank you for those recommendations. I fear I may never get out from under my pile, but I can think of worse fates :)

Speaking of TV westerns, my stepdad just recommended Lonesome Dove to me. For $7, I ordered it. And I've had a copy of Barbary Coast sitting around unwatched since last year, I got it as part of a Star Trek 50th anniversary binge that never quite happened as planned.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That is really a tremendous compliment. Thank you so much :)

My wife has suggested that I should turn this into a blog. I like the idea of one day gathering all of these reviews for posterity somewhere, but I also feel that my movie watching enjoyment has really been enhanced by the discussions we've been having. Whenever I see you commenting on one of my threads or posts, I feel like I must be doing something right!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
My absolute favorite early '70s Western is the Great Ulzana's Raid ('72) with Burt Lancaster, Bruce Davison and Richard Jaeckel...available as a decent Universal Vault DVD MOD...wish that was on blu-ray...Ulzana's Raid is among my absolute favorite Burt Lancaster films, which says a lot about this stunning, brutal and beautiful film...
I am going to check this out asap....your observations and recommendations haven't steered me wrong yet. Many thanks, Randall.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was just looking it up and it seems like it comes as either a stand-alone MOD disc for $20, or in a pressed version with eight other movies for just $13:

https://smile.amazon.com/War-10-Mov...&qid=1486969678&sr=8-2&keywords=Ulzana's+Raid

I have the two Cary Grant movies in there but none of the others. At that price, I'm seriously tempted. There's a John Wayne movie, a Rock Hudson movie and a Richard Burton movie too.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thank you Alan for the kind praise...I too have often looked to your insightful observations as guidance in viewing the best of Dr. Kildare and Lost in Space...among other things...and with grateful admiration for your essential role (with others) in restoring original night of broadcast music for The Fugitive...

Ulzana's Raid was directed by the great Robert Aldrich...it lifted me right out of my seat in seeing it in '72...thrilling action, compelling characters, and very sympathetic to the Apache...but not holding back on accurately depicting the atrocities and brutality that they were known for...it is a very brutal film, with one hell of a signature meaty role for Burt Lancaster...for me, it's in the top 5 of my favorite Burt movies...great music by Frank De Vol too...the Universal Vault DVD MOD is from a good source print and WS Anamorphic at 1.85...

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I just picked up the movie in a set of ten movies, was going to post the link, then saw Josh had beaten me to it. Anyway, the DVDs come Wednesday and I hope to have time to watch the movie over the weekend. According to reviews, this is a fairly complete version of the movie.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I too have often looked to your insightful observations as guidance in viewing the best of Dr. Kildare and Lost in Space...among other things...and with grateful admiration for your essential role (with others) in restoring original night of broadcast music for The Fugitive...
I appreciate your comments very much. There's no doubt watching movies and TV shows is more fun because of the respectful, knowledgeable friends I have at this forum. Many thanks.

It would be fun to have a meet somewhere, sometime. I know we are all on opposite sides of the country, but that would just make it more fun, methinks....

I'll let you know what I think of the movie after I've had a chance to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks