What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

John Spencer RIP (1 Viewer)

James_S

Second Unit
I just heard on the radio that John Spencer who plays Leo on the West Wing has died of a heart attack

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I didnt watch WW or LA Law but ive always liked him and his movie roles.

RIP John
:frowning:

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Holy ****. I just got done watching this week's recording of The West Wing. RIP, John. :frowning:

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'll never forget the first thing I saw him in, which was the cinematic video game Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom playing the duplicitous Captain Hugh Paulsen. I've enjoyed his craft ever since, especially the first 2 years of The West Wing. He will be missed. RIP, Mr. McGarry:

17 across. Yes, 17 across is wrong... You're spelling his name wrong... What's my name? My name doesn't matter. I am just an ordinary citizen who relies on the Times crossword for stimulation. And I'm telling you that I met the man twice. And I recommended a pre-emptive missile strike against his air force, so I think I know how...

Brian.L

Supporting Actor

You and me both. Even with the silliness inherent in video game dialogue, and acting in front of a blue screen, I remember him being good. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also remembered him fondly from L.A. Law (never watched The West Wing), and his passing is a big surprise, and you have to wonder how the producers of The West Wing are having to scramble for his character's exit from the show after so many years.

RIP, Mr. Spencer.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Oh no! RIP John, you will be missed.

I think this is the first time for me that an actor whom I respect was still actively playing a character I really care about when he passed away, and therefore the character presumably has to be killed off (unless they recast?)

(OK, Richard Harris/Dumbledore too, but movies aren't quite the same as weekly television.)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I never much liked The West Wing, but in flipping past it on Bravo I will almost always stop to watch any scene the John Spencer is in. I think my favorite performance of his may be in The Rock of all things. Sure it is an overblown, over-the-top, hyperactive vacation for logic and common sense (in short, a Bruckheimer film), but Spencer managed to make his harried Assitant FBI Director real amid all the scenery-chewing. He made Womack both creepy and sympathetic, and he had some of the best lines in the film. ("A few hours ago you wanted a gun. Now you're getting a gun and a wet suit.")

Regards,

Joe

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
This is terrible news. :frowning:

He was brilliant in LA Law. I was thrilled to see him in Wing Commander IV. Then of course The West Wing... And The Rock...

Ugh. :frowning:

RIP, John.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
The irony out of all of this is that his character on The West Wing had a massive MI and almost died because of it.

RIP Mr. Spencer.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Sad news...simply put, he's one of those actors that just made any movie of TV show much better. He'll be missed.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Never watched West Wing, but I loved him in LA Law. I really liked how his slightly rumpled Tommy Mullaney character was a bit of a fish out of water in the firm. His integrity however was always top-notch.

R.I.P. John.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks