What's new

john, paul, rick, melissa, tom... (1 Viewer)

KyleS

Screenwriter
Felix,

They are popular names that a lot of people like. Hopefully all of the people on this board named "john, paul, rick, melissa, tom" will not take too much offense to your comment. I know that you were only trying to ask a questions but it came out quite rude. I think that naming your children something that will not cause them grief later in life is the best choice. Sure we would all love to give unique names to our children but that is not always a good idea. Children can be quite cruel to unusual names that they may not understand yet and it is hard to tell your child that it doesn’t matter what they say. My wife and I named our son Gabriel both because we liked the name, it can be shortened to Gabe when he is in school, and because it has significance in the Catholic religion for my wife and her family who are from Chile.

KyleS

KyleS

Screenwriter
I'm a junior, my son is the third. I could not think of a better way to honor my father.
My sons middle name is Jack, as is mine. My middle name was after my Moms father and was meant to Honor him. That same grandfather is the only great grandparent that didnt live to see his new great grandson. He died 3 months before he was born so I named my sons middle name after him, the same as mine, to honor both him and my grandmother who was still dealing with the loss.

KyleS

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
What about George and Ringo?
Rick is a good name - although I named my son Anthony and we call him Tino. Go figure. :)
People can call their children whatever they want.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Haha, I know a guy by the name of Burpy, yes you read me right. I'd much rather name my kid one of the more common names than BURPY!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm a junior, my son is the third. I could not think of a better way to honor my father.
Ah, but what about when he gave it to you? Arrogant bastard. :D
I've always figured that a child's name is the first thing that his or her parents give to him/her, and it sets a bad precedent if it's a hand-me-down; one's name should be one's own.
I mean, being one of three Jasons or Jays in every single class I took in high school and college was no fun (and with John for a middle name, that wasn't an option). I'd have happily been an Angus to avoid it, really.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I actually think parents are getting more creative (but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not). Out of the 20 kids in my son's preschool class not a single one has a name the same as any kid I ever went to school with. No Mikes, Johns, or Jims there.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
It's funny how names become trendy. My parents tried to used names that many other people wouldn't have. The only problem we have is with people trying to spell our names.

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Being a Christopher Michael....I can relate to having the generic American guy name. I like my middle name as it is my father's, as his middle name is his father's. I wish to pass this tradition on to my son. I like having a name tie-in to my father without being a "Junior."

Chris

R

RossTerry

i dont know how many people have switched my name around and called me Terry instead of Ross (when looking at a form or something)...

i guess both can be a first or last name

i like Ross, different but not strange

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks