What's new

john, paul, rick, melissa, tom... (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i dont get why my thread is offensive. i mean, there are millions of people with the same name. i even hate my own name, "suwarno". it is a lowly name in my country. it is not popular, but trust me, nobody likes that name. my dad doesnt even like it.

next time when i feel the need to offend everybody i might just say those name suck.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Try having the last name Payne! Talk about harassment all your life! It's a 'Payne' in the a$$! :D I guess it's not as bad as one of my late-friends last name-Virgin!
What's even better is my now fiance's last name, Hoover! She's going to end up being a Hoover-Payne! Dirty thoughts all around us! :D

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I once worked with a woman named Dorkus
But she probably spelled it "Dorcas" It was once a common woman's name in England, but has fallen out of favor in recent decades.
Lots of people name their kids for relatives. There are certain "traditional" names in many families - to the point where first cousins often have exactly the same name, with two or even three "Michael Smiths" in each generation. Some name them after people they admire - the more educated for literary or historical figures (e.g. Robert Lee Jones, or John Fitzgerald Byers), the less-so for popular entertainers. (I shudder to think how many "Brittanys" we're all going to be meeting in a few years. :))
A name should be short (otherwise people are going to shorten it anyway, and no one will use the full version except the child's mother, when pissed off), easy to remember, easy to spell and pronounce. Otherwise you're just burdening the kid unnecessarily. Certain names are to be avoided at all costs. If your last name is Sawyer, you will not be doing your son a favor by naming him "Tom" (Ditto "James" if your last name is "Kirk". If you give him the middle name "Tiberius" you should do time for child abuse.:)) And if your last name is "Hunt", for pity's sake, don't name your son "Michael." :D
My brother-in-law used to work with a guy named Richard Hare. Yes, people called him "Dick" (Stopped traffic in Hartsfield airport one time when they paged him and the announcer broke out laughing.)
Regards,
Joe

Denward

Supporting Actor
I like that I have an unusual name, but it can be annoying sometimes. I wish I didn't have to spell my name for people constantly.

Trendy names run the risk of sounding dated in the future. A risky name is probably more likely to be a liability than an asset for a kid. How many times do you hear an unusual name and think, "That's wierd" vs. "That's cool"? I think "wierd" comes out more often than "cool".

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I also once knew someone named Dorcas. It wasn't til Joseph provided the proper spelling that I could remember where I knew her.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Yes, Joseph is correct about the spelling. And for Felix, Dorcas would be pronounced the same as my mispelled dorkus which is a sort of dimunative of dork. My mother used to call me a little dorkus when I was being silly.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I heard about a couple from Michigan who are big fans of the Detroit Red Wings. Their last name is Arena. Their firstborn was a girl, but their second, a boy was named...

Wait for it...

Joe Louis

Damn hockey fans...

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
those names are boring.
Felix, you would like my friends Bob and Nicki. They named their little girl "Trinity." Trinity Babcock to be precise.

And yes, Bob is a fan of The Matrix, but he asserts that he didn't name her after the Trinity in that film.

Side Note: If they had a boy, they would have named their son "Logan," which I think is a cool name.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
But she probably spelled it "Dorcas" It was once a common woman's name in England, but has fallen out of favor in recent decades.
Err. You sure about that?? Never heard it in my life. "Doris" maybe...
Where the hell's Andrew Markworthy when you need him? He always seems to have an answer to this sort of question!!:D

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
If I have a child and it is a girl, I will name her "Ima".
Ima DeMass :)
Try living with my last name. I even have a commercial after me. ;)
Actually, if I do have children, I would name a girl "Trinity" and a boy "Elijah". I have also wanted to use "Anakin" for a boys name. However, that one is hard for the ladies to accept. ;)
-Dean-

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
from Link Removed
Dorcas, a 2-syllable unisex name of Greek origin, means: Dark; gazelle; doe. It's religious association is biblical (see * Ac 9:36). It has religious backgrounds in * Biblical .

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I don't feel naming your children after yourself, relatives or friends should be considered a "hand-me-down". I was named after my father. According to Mom (mine, not yours) she wanted to name me Dominic Anthony but Dad thought it sounded too "Italian" (his exact phrase was "dago"... BTW he is Italian.) So Mom used his name and her father's name instead. I'm very proud to have both names, I don't feel like I was stiffed in the name category.
When my son was born we decided to use both of our father's names. Dennis Jonathan (called "D.J.") appears to be satisfied with his name. However, at only seven months I'm not sure how he would show his displeasure ;)

Rob Longmore

Stunt Coordinator
my full name is Robert A Longmore the 8th its family tradition to name the first male born in our family Robert.

My father is Robert 7th, grandfatehr is Rob 6th and so forth and so on. right back to early scotland days.

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Felix, I do not find this thread offensive at all. I think it's great.

BrianB, you should think of "Soda" instead.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
I plan on having two kids, and name them "Shut Up" and "Sit Down". Should make social gahterings a whole lot of fun.

"Shut Up and Sit Down, come over here."
"You shouldn't talk to your children that way!"
"Why? I wanted you to meet them."
"Say hello, Shut Up. Sit Down, shake her hand."

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
A name should be short (otherwise people are going to shorten it anyway, and no one will use the full version except the child's mother, when pissed off), easy to remember, easy to spell and pronounce.
And preferably clearly reflective of the person's gender. A few years ago part of my job was to send correspondence to people who have contracted for the purchase of a home. We were supposed to start of with Dear Mr. or Ms. X. It's sort of hard to figure out which of those to use for somebody named "Venere". My original guess was Ms., but after being yelled at on the phone by this jerk, I realized I was wrong.

I always wondered if it was short for "Venereal" -- must have been a fun conception.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i gave the name "fenix" to my baby boy. it was a name from starcraft game, but i told my dad that it is just my name with an n instead of an l.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks