What's new

john, paul, rick, melissa, tom... (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i am from indonesia, jakarta, living in chicago as grad student on computer graphics, 26. i have tons of silly questions in my mind! still familiarizing my self with american culture...where they sue a restaurant because of a cup of hot coffee.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I like Ross, it's nice and simple, and not many people have it. I went to school with two brothers named Wook and Turkel, I don't know what their mom was smoking.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My middle school principal's name was V.D. Luster (I'm not making it up, Vaughn was his first name).

TheoGB

Screenwriter
where they sue a restaurant because of a cup of hot coffee.
Actually if you Google search on the victim (can't remember her name) you'll find the Urban Legends sites point out how misrepresented the whole 'sue-ing Mac Donalds over a cup of coffee' is. The media is very good at distortion...

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I am fortunate to have a very uncommon name, but I really don't like it. :frowning:
BTW, Rain is a great name for a boy or a girl. I also like River and Ewan as well. :emoji_thumbsup:
-Dean-

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
One of the first things that came up when I first started "dating" my future wife, on our very first live conversation no less, was that she had already chosen the name of her first child and there was no discussion about it at all. it was just... settled. And three years later, she got to use it.

Amethyst Jade.

Tip to potential parents: Make sure YOUR parents can say the name. It took my father literally six months to be able to pronounce it correctly.

On the plus side, it shorts down to Amy, which my wife hates, but will accept happening. It also gives Amethyst the ability when she's older to simply switch to using her middle name, which I think is the best part of it.

Our second child is due in November, yet no idea of what it is yet, dagnabit. Last ultrasound, baby was spinning like mad, no way to tell. Heck, couldn't even get a picture. But this time around it's MY turn to name. So if it's a girl (which is what I want), it'll be Miria Jewel. If it's a boy, Hunter Alexander.

If it's a boy, I'm definitely pushing him towards world domination as a career path.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
My future son (watch ill have all girls) will have the same name as me but it will still be unique.

Gordon Allan Navecky IV

How many IV's do you know?

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I really don't understand why some people think that naming your son after you is arrogant. I could think of many other things such as vanity or pride, but I really don't see it as arrogant at all. I would be really interested if anyone who feels this way could enlighten me as to why they interpret naming a child after one's self as arrogant.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Iv for a last name? That's strange. "Hey Mr. Iv, how're you doing?" I don't know, I think I'd want a little more than Iv. Granted it'd make signing things quicker.

Oh wait, that's 4 isn't it? Oops. Just yesterday I was discussing with my boss why we learned Roman numerals in school. They're quite silly you know.

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
When we have children, my fiance have already chosen names.

For a boy: Crimson Bleu
For a girl: Viola Rose

As far a rare names, I once new a girl named Bobo. Her parents were druggies as was she. She actually died of a heroin overdose. I also new a guy in Boy Scouts named Rabbit.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I would be really interested if anyone who feels this way could enlighten me as to why they interpret naming a child after one's self as arrogant.
Maybe vanity would be closer, but it's certainly lacking in humility, and it seems to betray an expectation that your son will (or should) be just like you, or failing that, to make his accomplishments reflect favorably on you. It's tagging a title that already means something - your name - onto a newborn baby who should get a chance to forge his own identity, be his own man.

I absolutely realize that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here, but why not? Your name is how somebody thinks of you, and it really should be yours alone.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Honestly, my sense of identity came from my upbringing, not from who I was or wasn't named for.
I was named for a family member, and dressed in the same clothes as my twin, and I have "forged my own identity" with no problem. Just speaking for me....

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else find it funny that George Foreman named all of his male children (I think there's 6 of them) "George" as well?

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
Being a Jr. myself, I never once thought of my Dad as arrogant for naming me after him. However, in my 29 years, I've never asked why they did it. Thanks to this thread.....I'm now going to have to ask my parents why they named me John Jr.

Edit---Pat- George also named 3 of his daughters "Georgina"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks