What's new

Jim Nabors Passes Away At 87! (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Every time Gomer and Barney interacted together on the ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW it was comedy gold.
Absolutely. That's why "The Sermon for Today" is one of my all-time favorite episodes. Most people would choose "Citizen's Arrest" as the best of their encounters, but I like their messing around with the bandstand.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I moved up this album in my Christmas music rotation. What a voice!

2a9aa9cf11b8f783ce05c2b85d5dec30_1024x1024.jpeg

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
As a very young fan of Gomer during the sixties, I can also remember the first time seeing him away from that role unleashing the baritone and my entire family being gobsmacked - like where the hell did that come from. Does anyone remember the show he first sang on during that period? Just curious.

It was nice to see him included in the Carol Burnett 50th anniversary show last night. But I think he sang on shows before that.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
If I recall correctly, Nabors appeared on every season opener of The Carol Burnett Show.

The memories I have of my father laughing the most--and loudest--are the times we watched GOMER PYLE together. Tonight I am watching my father's favorite episode. The last time we watched THE JET SET together was 33 years ago, a few days before my dad died. When Gomer was in a panic, yelling, "We're in Rome! We're in Rome, Italy!" my dad was in stitches. I can still picture him--and hear him--every time I watch the episode. So here I go...

Thanks. And Semper Fi, Mr. Nabors.
Besides being great lifelong friends, Carol considered Jim a sort of good luck charm insofar as his annual season opening appearances on THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW. In one of the later seasons, she even did a retrospective highlighting each of his previous season opening appearances right before Mr. Nabors made yet another!

I think I can recall my late brother Gary laughing hard at that same scene from THE JET SET! Of course, he also loved Jim Nabors, especially as his Gomer Pyle character. How wonderfully refreshing that by all accounts, Jim was just as sweet a person in real life!

My condolences to Jim's husband, family and friends! May he Rest in Peace!

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When I was in 5th Grade in 1985, The local ABC Affiliate in my area started showing Reruns of Goner Pyle U.S.M.C. at 4:30 every afternoon. It started with the Pilot with Andy trying to explain to Gomer That a Marine base wasn't at all like Mayberry. My father came in from work and then explained to me That the real Marine corps wasn't at all like Gomer Pyle USMC even though it was funny when Sergeant Carter invited Gomer to Sing the Marine corps Hymn with a bucket over his head LOL

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
As a very young fan of Gomer during the sixties, I can also remember the first time seeing him away from that role unleashing the baritone and my entire family being gobsmacked - like where the hell did that come from. Does anyone remember the show he first sang on during that period? Just curious.

It was nice to see him included in the Carol Burnett 50th anniversary show last night. But I think he sang on shows before that.

I don’t remember the episode title where I first heard him sing but I think it was the ep where the platoon was appearing a movie called flying leathernecks and Carter kept,messing up a line that was something like “3 cheers for Captain.....”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks