What's new

Jim Nabors Passes Away At 87! (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Very sorry to read of this today. He brought much joy and pleasure into our homes for years. And CBS treated him rather shabbily by canceling his variety show after two years even though it had healthy ratings just because they wanted to shed their "hick" image, so Hee Haw, Mayberry R.F.D., and other shows like Nabors' variety hour were jettisoned.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Just the first 20 minutes in B+W and divided in two segments of the Jim Nabors Hour's inaugural episode, Sept 25, 1969...from 16 mm and with Marlborough Man and Contact-C commercials...but Frank Sutton and Ronnie Schell are on hand...along with Andy Griffith and Don Knotts in a funny skit! Jim sings "Green, Green Grass of Home" as well...reminds you of the many great variety shows of the era...what talent...

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This is deeply sad to hear especially coming off the heels of David Cassidy's death, which I barely held it together for. I grew up in North Carolina and I remember watching Gomer Pyle, USMC in reruns on TV in the late 1980s when I was a kid not knowing what the future would hold for our country or for myself. Now we live in an era where gays and lesbians can serve openly as soldiers in the military, as my ex-boyfriend did to some extent, and he was finally able to come out while he was still alive.

Semper fidelis, and rest in peace.

Last edited:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Terrific entertainer and by all accounts an even better human being. His singing voice was outstanding and few could deliver a gospel song as powerfully as Mr. Nabors.

Prayers for his loved ones.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
If I recall correctly, Nabors appeared on every season opener of The Carol Burnett Show.

The memories I have of my father laughing the most--and loudest--are the times we watched GOMER PYLE together. Tonight I am watching my father's favorite episode. The last time we watched THE JET SET together was 33 years ago, a few days before my dad died. When Gomer was in a panic, yelling, "We're in Rome! We're in Rome, Italy!" my dad was in stitches. I can still picture him--and hear him--every time I watch the episode. So here I go...

Thanks. And Semper Fi, Mr. Nabors.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Even more reason I'd like to finally see this year come to a close once and for all. May he RIP with the rest of the cast and crew from the AGS and Gomer Pyle.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Beautiful memories of you and your Father watching Gomer Pyle USMC, Alan! These are the wonderful touchstones we treasure in memory of our parents and family...

The only US Marine I have ever known really well is my cousin Gary from Woonsocket, Rhode Island...he had been a peacetime Marine, volunteering for service at the age of 18 in 1961...he served 2 years, mostly aboard 7th Fleet warships in the Mediterranean and was discharged as a corporal in early 1964, going to college...as the Vietnam War began to heat up in 1965, he re-enlisted with the intent of seeing combat, unmarried at the time...by mid 1966 he was in South Vietnam as a Sergeant with his most desired posting, the 2nd battalion of the First Marines (First Marine Regiment of the First Marine Division), part of the fabled "Old Breed" that wore the shoulder patch of the southern cross and the battle honor of "Guadalcanal" proudly...like a lot of those young men he desperately wanted to prove himself worthy of that heritage, seeing brutal and intense action at Con Thien and being wounded there...after convalescence, and despite my Aunt's wishes (and fears), he volunteered for another tour and was rushed back to Vietnam during the Tet offensive, arriving just in time for the drive to retake Hue and Quang Tri...he was wounded a second time, but thankfully a less severe injury...he is 74 now, healthy and happy in retirement in Georgia with his wife of 47 years and two successful kids and grandchildren...my dear Aunt, Gary's very worried Mom, lived to be 101...prayers answered all around for two sons who served in Vietnam...

My point in telling this is, Gary is the real deal...a Vietnam era US Marine combat veteran who knew the grim reality of the Marine Corps in those times...and guess what? Gomer Pyle USMC was much loved by serving Marines and Veterans, then and now...in the mid '70s, I brought up the subject in casual conversation with Gary and I was surprised to discover the show was actually broadcast in country on Armed Forces Television by an orbiting airborne US Navy electronics warfare aircraft...his face lit up at the memory of watching it there with his fellow Marines, a funny and highly valued diversion into pleasant fantasy from the darkness of the daily grind...and he also remembered seeing local Vietnamese watching it on a rarely seen TV at Cam Rahn Bay...the Vietnamese people's first exposure to the wonders of television...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks