What's new

Jim McKay has passed away! (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I can hear his voice as I'm typing this....

My most vivid memory of McKay is his calling of the 1972 Munich Olympics. During those very difficult times, his professionalism was exemplary. He will be missed.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I still remember when he was first getting the news that it had ended in tragedy. He was so professional and so moving.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I agree. That must have been quite a tough thing to call. That year both the Summer and Winter Games were so very memorable, for very different reasons.

Side note: I will forever remember the impression Olga Korbut and Mark Spitz made on me, and many other people, that year. Over the years, I've heard so much discussion of the greatness that was Nadia C. in subsequent Olympics (and I am not disputing this), but what Korbut did on the beam and uneven bars in 1972 was truly extraordinary, not to mention in some respects very dangerous.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I am not even a sports fan. But i always liked him. He wasnt full of BS, he didnt talk to hear his own voice. Very rare now.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Just saw on the news that Jim McKay had passed away today at 86. I still remember his coverage of the '72 Olympics. The world will miss you Jim!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another point about Jim McKay is that his son Sean McManus is the president of CBS News and Sports. McManus was McKay's real family name.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wow, sad news, indeed. I can't remember too many Sundays in my childhood where I didn't hear him on Wide World of Sports on ABC.

RIP, Mr. McKay.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Spanning the globe to bring you the constant variety of sport… the thrill of victory… and the agony of defeat… the human drama of athletic competition… This is ABC's Wide World of Sports!. Those words still sends chills up my arms hearing it. You instantly flash back to when you were a kid and you can't help but smile.

What a great great talent. Jim McKay was the voice of sports.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I never missed watching Wild World of Sports when I was a kid in the 60s. This was the only outlet for getting a sample of such a wide variety of sporting events at that time. He will be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks