What's new

JFK Blu-Ray Out of Print? (1 Viewer)

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Does anyone know why the Warner Blu-ray of JFK is out of print?

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Don't want to start any rumors but it is possible that WB licensed this to The Criterion Collection.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I noticed that the thread title seems to ask whether the JFK Blu-ray is out of print, rather than the intended asking why, as per the first post. Just an observation.

CHEERS! :)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The Warner store doesn't have it, but given that a commemorative edition was released just four years ago I'm not sure there's enough novelty to interest Criterion. That said, a frill-free edition can still be found on Amazon, either as an inexpensive import (which I would say is region-free, despite the listing) or as part of a set with other films. From what I gather, they're all the director's cut; the theatrical cut has bypassed Blu-ray.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The Warner store doesn't have it, but given that a commemorative edition was released just four years ago I'm not sure there's enough novelty to interest Criterion.

I think Criterion would love to license "JFK"! It'd be a big seller for them...

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I think it will be a huge missed opportunity not to release the theatrical cut of the film in a new 4k transfer now, with the increased interest on the subject!

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Regency owns the rights to the film and WB only distributed it. Last year Warner lost rights to a bunch Regency titles including Heat, Boys on the Side, JFK, Made in America, L.A. Confidential etc. They are all now at Fox. There are some films WB/Regency co-financed that Warner still retains rights to. I'm guessing JFK will be reissued at some point by Fox. Warner also lost rights last year to the Morgan Creek films they distributed including Ace Ventura and True Romance. I believe Sony now distributes Morgan Creek with some titles licensed to the Shout Factory.

Last edited:

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
Shout Factory (via Westchester Films) now has major rights to the Morgan Creek titles, while Sony does own some media distribution.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Does anyone know why the Warner Blu-ray of JFK is out of print?
The FBI petitioned Trump to not release certain JFK files; and I think the digital files of this film got somehow mixed in.:unsure:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Regency owns the rights to the film and WB only distributed it. Last year Warner lost rights to a bunch Regency titles including Heat, Boys on the Side, JFK, Made in America, L.A. Confidential etc. They are all now at Fox. There are some films WB/Regency co-financed that Warner still retains rights to. I'm guessing JFK will be reissued at some point by Fox. Warner also lost rights last year to the Morgan Creek films they distributed including Ace Ventura and True Romance. I believe Sony now distributes Morgan Creek with some titles licensed to the Shout Factory.
I'm pretty sure this is what the situation is. Fox has been quite aggressive in issuing Regency titles in the last year or so that were previously issued by Warner, including the Heat reissue from the 4K master and Once Upon a Time in America.

Reactions: PMF

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
I've already got two blu-ray versions and about four DVD sets, so why not add another! I'll gladly buy it in a New York minute (especially with a new transfer and some new extras).

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Let's not forget the masterful work of DP Robert Richardson. Yup, I'd buy a new transfer, too; with 59 seconds to spare.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Amazon has the boxed set; but its now way over priced. Amazon also has the Digibook. Under the circumstances of this OOP question, I'd scoop it up. Quibble over price and you'll have no copy, at all. Give or take a few bucks, the Digibook seems to be the standard pricing. As it it, the Warner's Store doesn't have it. The only other option is to wait indefinitely for a 4K or reissue. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks