What's new

Jesus Christ, Superstar Live (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It just occurred to me I've not read a thing here about this production. I thought it was an excellent show. Well produced and well cast. Well, except for John Legend as JC. I thought the singing, in particular the high notes, were too tough for him. I found it was quite noticeable. His acting and presence was fine.

That's what you get sometimes, when you cast for star power. You'd think that the title show and Andrew Loyd Webber would provide enough of that.

When overture was playing I was really getting excited, I was thinking, I can't wait for the blu ray. After the show was over, not so much.

What'd you guys think.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Haven't seen it and probably won't but I can still agree about John Legend. I was listening to his rendition of the classic Wake up Everybody earlier today and also noticed his lack of range.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I really enjoyed this production; especially Sarah Bareilles and Brandon Dixon Victor. I have seen numerous productions of JCS over the years and this ranks among the best. I really hope that a Blu Ray will be produced as I can only view the show on You Tube in Australia.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I really enjoyed this production; especially Sarah Bareilles and Brandon Dixon Victor. I have seen numerous productions of JCS over the years and this ranks among the best. I really hope that a Blu Ray will be produced as I can only view the show on You Tube in Australia.
I agree that it’s one of the very best productions, except for one very big exception. John Legend didn’t get it done for me.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I thought the production was too much like a concert, and not enough like a play. The lack of scenery and stage effects added to that sense. And I thought Alice Cooper was the only one who brought the level down to the "intimacy" it required. Everyone else was too bombastic. Of course, it's been decades since I saw the play performed before (a national touring show in Minneapolis in '71 or '72, and the Australian version in Sydney in 1972), so I might just remember those times more fondly.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I agree with you Steve regarding the 1972 Australian production. I thought the late Jon English as Judas gave a great performance and one that so many years later I still see in my minds eye. Overall the ‘72 production of JCS I believe was and remains a seminal production.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I agree with you Steve regarding the 1972 Australian production. I thought the late Jon English as Judas gave a great performance and one that so many years later I still see in my minds eye. Overall the ‘72 production of JCS I believe was and remains a seminal production.
Was the 1972 versions recorded?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks